Jean Ritchie was born 100 years ago today

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
2 years ago
188 posts

What a great video!  Thank you for sharing it!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

I'm happy y'all enjoyed the video!   It's curious to me that Dave Garroway says and repeats the Ritchie family was in South Carolina.  Perhaps they all did gather there at a relative's home yet I can't help but mentally think they must be in Viper KY.   

It seems George Pickow's channel at YouTube has been taken down.  There were some wonderful videos-- Wintergrace , Black Waters , Blue Diamond Mines and others) done by George and Jean and I am very sorry to see them gone.

Celebrating Jean's birth and the gifts she gave the world! cake  

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
231 posts

Thanks Robin. Jean was such a delight. Wish I had known her other than from history. She did so much to promote the mountain dulcimer we all love so much.

It seems I looked up the score for Wintergrace. If memory serves I found it one website that offered it for sale. I think it is still under copyright.

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
2 years ago
27 posts

Thanks for this Robin! Family times are the best times!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Thanks for sharing the video link Robin. I've seen that program before, but this is the first time in color. Always interesting watching the Ritchie family.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Thank you for that link Robin. I had not seen that video of Jean's family gatherings before. 🎄

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Leny-Sue
Leny-Sue
@leny-sue
2 years ago
15 posts

Happy Birthday to Jean! Thank you for sharing the video of the family Christmas. Those simple times were the best in many ways.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

This morning, I searched YouTube for Jean's Wintergrace (which I believe was on George Pickow's channel) and was unable to find George's channel.  

I'm grateful for all Jean Ritchie shared with the world!  She was born 8 December 1922 in Viper, Perry County KY.  

https://youtu.be/piV-BGDHLF4 

updated by @robin-thompson: 12/08/22 09:22:35AM