Gary Sager

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

Strumelia:

Robin, that was a sweet box dulcimer!

It's a great instrument-- Gary made fantastic instruments.    

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,247 posts

Robin, that was a sweet box dulcimer!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

Gary made wonderful box dulcimers and called them Prussia Valley Music Boxes because they weren't reproductions of Tennessee Music Boxes yet paid homage to box dulcimers.  All of Gary's instruments were well built and my PVMB sounded great!  Though I no longer have this box dulcimer-- a young music friend of mine has it-- here is a photo of it: 

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/22/23 07:16:06PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,247 posts

If I'm not mistaken, Gary was making wonderful and modestly priced box dulcimers at a time when almost no other dulcimer builders were making box dulcimers or Tennessee music box reproductions.

--
Site Owner

Susie
Susie
@susie
last year
500 posts

marg:

Yes, many of us knew of Gary's health issues but you wouldn't know speaking with him.

You are right, I spoke with him last summer to place an order through his store and he was so pleasant and kind. It was his nature. Similar to my dad, fighting a battle, but strong!

Enjoy that special dulcimer! 

updated by @susie: 03/19/23 06:16:52AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

@marg Gary was a great builder and player!  You're fortunate to have acquired one of his mountain dulcimers.  

marg
@marg
last year
615 posts

Yes, many of us knew of Gary's health issues but you wouldn't know speaking with him.

I was able to get one of his deep body dulcimers not long ago, it is so easy to fret and has such a great overall tone. It is a treasure and more so now. When I did speak with Gary, after getting his dulcimer, he was so pleasant talking about his dulcimers and shop. He will be missed not only by his family and friends but all of the dulcimer community. 

Keeping him and his love ones in my heart

Susie
Susie
@susie
last year
500 posts

Like Robin, I knew of his health issues. Gary was such a pleasant person, whether seeing him at festivals or conducting business with him through his store. I'm sad to hear of his passing. We lost another great one. sniffcry

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,720 posts

Sad news.  I hope his family knows how wide Gary's influence was and how many musical souls he touched.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,247 posts

This is indeed sad news. I'm wishing comfort for his family.

--
Site Owner

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
last year
231 posts

The dulcimer community has lost another great one. My sympathies are extended to the family and loved ones of Gary Sager.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,415 posts

Though I knew Gary was ill, the news of his death still came to me as a bit of a shock.  It was a long-ago visit to Gary & Toni's shop which got me thinking about taking up mountain dulcimer-- and as it happened, Gary & Toni weren't even there that day yet the instruments were and someone else was minding the store.  Gary was a great guy, a wonderful luthier, and a really good musician.  My heart is with Toni and the Sager family.      

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
last year
207 posts

That is sad news................I appreciate you posting that and I will surely remember his family and all those grieving his loss. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
1,073 posts

It is with a sad heart that I share the news that Gary Sager of Prussia Valley dulcimers died this afternoon, March 15, 2023. Gary was an experienced dulcimer maker and an enthusiastic promoter of the mountain dulcimer. I first met Gary and Dave Lynch at the same time at a Harmony Harvest festival in Lancaster, OH. Gary was generous in sharing advice about building and playing dulcimers. He will be missed by all who knew him or shopped at the Prussia Valley Music Store or website.

My sympathy goes out to his wife, Toni, and the rest of Gary's family. 

Rest in peace Gary.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."