What MAKE of strings is best?

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts

I just changed the strings on my modern mtn. it has such a deep mellow sound already in cgc and I have so many dulcimers I decided to make it a baritone. I put a 16g wire on my melody a 24 wound on the drone and a 32 wound on my base tuned her to AEA and she sounds BEAUTIFUL. I love it.Grin.gif

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
13 years ago
231 posts

Hi,

Another way to deal with the ball end vs. loop end dilemma is to buy ball ends. If you need loop ends, take a small wire cutter and carefully cut the ball away and you have a loop end ready to install.

Richard

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,111 posts

The general string gauges will allow you, generally speaking, to tune from the key of C tunings (CGG, CGc) up to maybe key of F tunings (FCC, Fcf). Below C they will be too floppy and buzz and sound mushy, especially on the thinner strings. Around F, and certainly G, you risk breaking the bass string although the thinner strings will easily tune.

No one set of strings will allow you to tune from A to G. If you're tuning below the key of C you need new strings (most of us get a second dulcimer along with the strings). Likewise if you're tuning to the keys of F and G primarily.

Not wanting to rig a dulcimer with a separate set of strings to play the key of G - GDD, GDg etc. is what has given rise to the popularity of the so-called Reverse Ionian tuning DGd. That tuning has the same notes, but not the same 'flavor' if you will, of real Ionian key of G tuning -- GDD.

I have one dulcimer that has a 27" VSL which I keep strung with 18-11-11 and tune to GDD. Another is strung with 22w-12-12-12 and tunes back and forth to the keys of C and D tunings

Virginia Oman
Virginia Oman
@virginia-oman
13 years ago
11 posts

Yes....thanks everyone. My VSL 25 dulcimer was strung by the maker with 11 14 and 22 which he switched to 24 due to buzzing.

I am enjoying ordering the next three thru Just Strings...(thanks for suggestion), as you can buy single strings.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
13 years ago
422 posts

According to strothers string gauge calculator the strings for a 3 string 25" vsl dulcimer would be

11p d
14p A
21w D

However, after receiving my 25" vsl back from my luthier yesterday, he used

11p d

16p A

23w D

He said he tried the 1st and found they were a little light, particularly to tune down to CGc. After playing all night (almost) on it, I have to think he was right. I'll post up some pictures of it to see if anyone might recognize the unique head and be able to tell who the maker was.

Anyway... trying different string gauges would be good to see what works well for YOU! YOU are the one who must be satisfied with the tension of the strings and the sound they produce.

I haven't used bronze wounds on a dulcimer but I do use them on my flat top guitars. I may try them, but it is hard to find the singles locally in the correct gauge. I have seen others use them and I don't think they "hurt" the sound at all, even though I was surprised to see them on a dulcimer. I may have to experiment on at least one of mine with them.

Robert

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,111 posts

Nancy - use a String Gauge Calculator such as the one at www.strothers.com to determine which diameter of string (but not Maker) is appropriate for a given VSL and the note you want to tune to. Know that you can go a gauge or two up or down from what the calculator shows; that's how players "tweek" their instruments.

You absolutely must know the VSL of each instrument and the notes to which each string is to be tuned.

Virginia - - VSL always has something to do with the diameter of the strings and the note you're trying to tune the string to. This is a basic 'natural law' of stringed instruments. Too thin or too thick of strings, and you'll be breaking strings or have them too floppy for the notes you're trying to tune to.

Virginia Oman
Virginia Oman
@virginia-oman
13 years ago
11 posts
Thank you ALL for your feedback. I went to Just Strings and ordered individual loop end strings. Trying different brands and some different gauges for experimenting. Only way to really find out.
Virginia Oman
Virginia Oman
@virginia-oman
13 years ago
11 posts

Nancy

Many thanks. When you say your "smaller one" can you give me the VSL of what your smaller one is? I have a 25 inch VSL so that's why I'm curious.

folkfan
@folkfan
13 years ago
357 posts
Virginia, I don't really have a preference as I haven't really noticed a difference in nickle or bronze wound. Some people like the flat wound or squeakless type of wound string, etc., but I don't touch the wound string and sometimes don't even strum across it when it's holding a note well.

Virginia Oman said:
okay ...thanks for the responses so far...Do you recommend nickle versus steel? phosphor bronze, etc... why and why not? I'm sure many of you have experimented with different kinds.....what have you found to be the difference?n Thanks
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,111 posts

What John said!

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary....

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
13 years ago
60 posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the MAKE of strings. There are remarkably few string making factories in the world and they generally make strings for a variety of different brands. You've been given some good advice so far, and you won't go far wrong if you bear in mind what Ken and folkfan have said. After a while you'll get to know your own preferences.

Lots of players would disagree, but personally I've never been keen on 'squeakless' strings. They sound a little bit lifeless to me, and I'm happy to accept a bit of squeak from wound strings (within reason) as part of the sound and verve of the instrument.

Unlike Ken, I do hear a difference between bronze and nickel wound strings, with bronze wound giving a slightly warmer sound - which may or may not be what you want!

Virginia Oman
Virginia Oman
@virginia-oman
13 years ago
11 posts
Thanks Ken. Not sure what YMMV means (perhaps your ---may vary) But appreciate your opinion on the different kinds of materials used.

Ken Hulme said:
If you're a chord-melody player and have problems with squeaky bass strings I would suggest a "flat wound" or squeakless bass. Some folks claim to hear a difference between phosphor bronze, steel, nickel plated steel.... I sure don't. YMMV
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,111 posts
If you're a chord-melody player and have problems with squeaky bass strings I would suggest a "flat wound" or squeakless bass. Some folks claim to hear a difference between phosphor bronze, steel, nickel plated steel.... I sure don't. YMMV
Virginia Oman
Virginia Oman
@virginia-oman
13 years ago
11 posts
okay ...thanks for the responses so far...Do you recommend nickle versus steel? phosphor bronze, etc... why and why not? I'm sure many of you have experimented with different kinds.....what have you found to be the difference?n Thanks
folkfan
@folkfan
13 years ago
357 posts

If you do get individual strings, be sure to know whether or not you need ball end or loop. Ball ends are more common, at least that's what I've found. All my dulcimers will take both so I'm lucky. Some dulcimer will take only ball ends and others will take only loop as the ball won't fit over the peg or nails used on the tail block. If you're in the loop only situation a ball end can be adapted for the peg by looping the end through the ball forming a loop.

Just Strings carries loop end steel bulk from .008 to .018 in the unwound and the thicker strings in the wound. It also carries several brands of packaged dulcimer sets.

http://www.juststrings.com/dulcimer.html I think the Martin set is $1.98.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,111 posts

If you just get generic guitar strings you may not be happy. Guitar strings are generally not in the same gauge range as dulcimers, to start with.

First know that there is no such thing as "guitar strings" or "dulcimer strings. There are just strings, made by a handful of manufacturers for several labels.

Many acoustic music shops carry sets of strings assembled for dulcimers under names like D'Arco, D'Addario, Martin and GHS. Some sets are labelled Mixolydian or Ionian. Any of those sets will be more than adequate for your dulcimer.

folkfan
@folkfan
13 years ago
357 posts

Virginia,

I'm not sure about which strings are best. However since I've a number of dulcimers to restring regularly, I buy in bulk in a range of gauges from Just Strings. That way I always have strings on hand for mountain dulcimers, a pluck psaltery, and a small hammered dulcimer. I've always found the strings to be satisfactory.

Virginia Oman
Virginia Oman
@virginia-oman
13 years ago
11 posts

Obviously this is a subjective call, but ...just a with any other stringed instrument there are strings that at poor, then fair, then better ones, then even better ones. Its time for me to put new strings on my Cripple Creek mountain dulcimer (3 string) and I'm asking for opinions of what make and kind of string people like most. Am I correct in assuming I go to a music store and ask for 3 guitar stings in my designated gauge? But what make is good? I play in DAD mostly and I'm looking for a good make of string that will give me a bright sound with good volume. What make of stings do you like best?

Thanks much.

updated by @virginia-oman: 02/16/19 08:00:05PM