Autoharp Adventures...Life & Death of an Instrument

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

Someone else suggested I could make her into a clock...but I'm not ready to start the Frankenstein process on her.

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

That's a lovely idea! I might pull it out from time to time to remind myself as well.

Strumelia said:

I think you should write a little note that tells of the joy she brought to you and fold it up and put it inside the autoharp. Not only would it honor the instrument, but someone might find it 50 years from now, who knows? and that would be really lovely. I once wrote a message inside the closet of an apartment I left, on the old wallpaper way in a corner, saying how some of the happiest times of my life were spent there in that apartment. I like to think someone will find it there one day and read it.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,255 posts
I think you should write a little note that tells of the joy she brought to you and fold it up and put it inside the autoharp. Not only would it honor the instrument, but someone might find it 50 years from now, who knows? and that would be really lovely. I once wrote a message inside the closet of an apartment I left, on the old wallpaper way in a corner, saying how some of the happiest times of my life were spent there in that apartment. I like to think someone will find it there one day and read it.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts
Thanks Strumelia, I just needed to share what has happened with other musicians, who have that same bond with their instrument. She sits on the stand that I just bought for her a couple of months ago in my office/music room. I'm normally the type to get rid of broken things, but she's my first Autoharp so I will keep her. She holds an honored place in my life and so will be on display as a reminder of all that I've learned and the wonderful experiences music has brought to me over the past two years.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,255 posts
Beth I like that story. Often we gush about buying new instruments, but we seldom talk about the instruments that either 'died' or linger in our closets. Everything and everyone has a lifespan, and coming to terms with that can help us appreciate what we are doing today.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

Once upon a time I bought an autoharp. I was inspired to do so after seeing my friend Becca play one in a gig at a small coffee house. She told me to look for one with fine tuners, and so my quest began. I found one on Ebay, and Oscar Schmidt Appalachian model, and I bought it. I was so excited to get my Autoharp, I couldn't have been happier when I got home and saw the package waiting for me. It was the middle of July 2009, I named her Becca after my friend who so inspired me.

A couple of months laterI took it in to have strap pegs put in at Homestead Pickin' Parlor , they noticed that 1) the instrument was hot from sitting in my car, and 2) the sound board had sunken underneath the chord bars. The supports had given way because of the heat. Whether that happened on that day, or when the instrument was sitting on the steps waiting for me to come home I do not know. I did know it would be more than the cost of the instrument to try and fix the problem.

So I went ahead and played her for the next two years, keeping her in tune and out of hot cars. During that time I began a tradition of having Music Circle Parties in my home each Spring and Autumn, and we've had wonderful times together, my Becca and I. Butthese past few monthsit has been going out of tune more and more until finally I cannot get it in tune at all. Upon close examination I found cracks at the corner of the High C fine tuner, with the soundboard caved sharply in. It finally gave way, may she rest in peace.

I purchased my mountain dulcimer this past May after becoming obsessed with the little instrument due to YouTube. I'm very careful with her indeed. I will get another Autoharp one day, but not for a while. I have my lovely Ginger...my mountain dulcimer...to get to know and share with my friends in my music parties.

updated by @beth-hansen: 01/15/16 12:04:30PM