11 years ago
500 posts

The T-shirts are nice.

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
11 years ago
41 posts

I have mine now to try out, it's a nice little dulcimer, and I've had fun with it. I too will be sending it back, as we are saving up for new living room furniture. Grin.gif But I will be sure to give them my size for the free
Tshirt!
Susie said:

Surprise, surprise......I got notified by Folkcraft and got the FolkRoots Travel dulcimer on Friday to try out for a few days. My sister also got one. I'll be giving them my feedback...mostly good, but a couple suggestions. Nice that Richard followed through with the auditions. Neat little dulcimer...nicely made. I'll be sending it back, though, because I have another dulcimer on order.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

Agreed. They do a great job of taking care of folks.

Susie said:

I didn't realize they were doing it either, until I got the instrument, and the instructions letter said that they were doing T's as a "thank you". I'll take it....it's a nice thing to do on their part.

John Keane said:

So...I guess you realize that I didn't know that I was passing on a free shirt... Grin.gif

Susie said:

Oh....and I'm getting a free T for auditioning one. Since I already own a FolkRoots dulcimer, it will be nice to have.
Susie
Susie
@susie
11 years ago
500 posts

I didn't realize they were doing it either, until I got the instrument, and the instructions letter said that they were doing T's as a "thank you". I'll take it....it's a nice thing to do on their part.

John Keane said:

So...I guess you realize that I didn't know that I was passing on a free shirt... Grin.gif

Susie said:

Oh....and I'm getting a free T for auditioning one. Since I already own a FolkRoots dulcimer, it will be nice to have.
Bucko Futreal
Bucko Futreal
@bucko-futreal
11 years ago
8 posts

I did a trial run on one of these; the tone was quite good, but I felt the fretboard was too thin and transmitted too much sound from fingering into the soundboard. Still, it's a fun design, and would certainly be enjoyable as a travel instrument.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

I'm workin' on it! Grin.gif

John Henry said:

Tut tut !68.gif With your wardrobe in it's current state !!35.gif C'mon JK !!!

Anon

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
11 years ago
258 posts

Tut tut !68.gif With your wardrobe in it's current state !!35.gif C'mon JK !!!

Anon

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

Susie said:

Susie
Susie
@susie
11 years ago
500 posts
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

I played one at Dulcimerville in June, so I passed on the test trial. I was very impressed with the sound from such a small instrument.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

That is nice, Susie. Iwas on that audition list, too, but basically gave up ever hearing from Richard. As it turned out,I obtained one anyway, but was obliged to sell it to pay for another (much more expensive) dulcimer. My ad with video demonstration is still available in the For Sale Forum for anyone interested.

As Ken has pointed out, the shallow fretboard does not allow it tobe played noter/drone style. I also found the stringsa bit loose andwould suggest different gauge strings. But other than that, the instrument is very well made, has excellent intonation, and especially for its size, has a really nice tone, one that seems to get better as thesebrand new instruments mellow a bit.

Susie said:

Surprise, surprise......I got notified by Folkcraft and got the FolkRoots Travel dulcimer on Friday to try out for a few days. My sister also got one. I'll be giving them my feedback...mostly good, but a couple suggestions. Nice that Richard followed through with the auditions. Neat little dulcimer...nicely made. I'll be sending it back, though, because I have another dulcimer on order.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
12 years ago
1,084 posts

I passed on the audition when Folkcraft contacted me as I tried one out at the Indiana Dulcimer Festival and purchased it. I was favorably impressed. Because of the height of the fret board it is not really suitable for noter/drone style playing.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Awesome!

Susie said:

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

I wondered the same thing, Dusty. Oh well, if they still want to send me one, I'd love to try before I buy, if I end up liking it. Sounds like that's still Richard's intention. Maybe they feel they owe it to those of us who signed up. Richard took a couple to a show/festival in Feb. and had good response. He sold those too.Grin.gif

Dusty Turtle said:

I stopped waiting. I just figure maybe someday I'll hear from Richard that they're ready. But until then, I'm not holding my breath. I also thought we were supposed to be the beta testers before they sold the model, but they're already selling the model! I don't really understand why they need testers anymore.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

I stopped waiting. I just figure maybe someday I'll hear from Richard that they're ready. But until then, I'm not holding my breath. I also thought we were supposed to be the beta testers before they sold the model, but they're already selling the model! I don't really understand why they need testers anymore.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Absolutely...the more the merrier!

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

I talked to Richard about a week ago and heard the same thing, John. However, I've been hearing that they are "almost ready" for a few months now. I know they are really busy at Folkcraft, and regular orders take precedent. I'm with the rest of you....I'm really anxious to try the new dulcimer out, but I've kind of tried to crank up my "patience" meter a bit. They've been selling them too, which I'm sure is having an effect on the number of dulcimers that they can get ready to send out to us. My music store has 2 on order. So, maybe I'll end up trying one at the store before I get one sent to my house. I'm glad that Folkcraft is real busy, though...shows business is going well for them.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,124 posts

Yeah... December to March without a word is kinda hinky. Frankly I thought a December field test wasn't the best idea. It should have been ready to sell by November 1st or held back until spring for Festival season. So that appears to be what they're doing.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Oh...you are quite welcome. I was afraid that folks had kinda given up on the things.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Talked to Richard tonight...it shouldn't be long now. Smile.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Frets...I ain't heard nuthin'. Frown.gif

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

So, has anyone out there in FOTMD-land purchased one of these little guys yet? Any feedback for those of us who are anxiously waiting to try one out?

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

That is certainly understandable. When I initially read about the project, I thought that the time line was a tad optimistic lol. I reckon it'll happen when it happens.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

Last I heard, they were trying to fill orders for "regular" dulcimers. I talked to Richard, and he said that they've been swamped, and these orders take priority (understandably). They get to the travel dulcimers when they get the time. It also sounds like they will have a group of "trial" dulcimers that they'll send out, then get back, then send out again to the next group of auditioners. So, I kind of got the impression and there will be waves of trials, instead of a one-to-one ratio of trial instruments to auditioners. I'm just saying what I've heard, and its not necessarily gospel. I'm anxious to try it out, maybe early next year we'll get that chance.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

It's just been mighty quiet, so I was wondering.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
13 years ago
1,727 posts

I have heard nothing recently, but I do know there were some delays as they changed the bracing on the instrument.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,124 posts

nope...

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Okay...has anyone heard anything???

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Ben is actually a member here at FOTMD...that's a big ol' sound for a little dulcimer!

frets4fun said:

Here's a nice video of an "old" FolkRoots Mini Dulcimer, before FolkRoots was bought by Folkcraft. This appears to be the instrument that Folkcraft is designing the new FolkRoots Travel Dulcimer after:

Sounds really neat.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

Here's a nice video of an "old" FolkRoots Mini Dulcimer, before FolkRoots was bought by Folkcraft. This appears to be the instrument that Folkcraft is designing the new FolkRoots Travel Dulcimer after:

Sounds really neat.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Lemme see if I can get an image on here for you...

Geekling said:

Im pretty sure that I didnt come across the CapriTaurus Bigfoot Discovery MuseumI wouldve remembered that!43.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Wow...I feel like that guy in the commercial ("Everyone's outside Mike's office eating tacos...I like tacos" lol). I had no idea. Well...ya learn somethin' new every single day. A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well! Grin.gif

Geekling said:

John, believe it or not, I already knew about the Bigfoot connection! I discovered Michael Ruggs Bigfoot Discovery Project around the time I asked Howard Rugg about my Folk Roots (which is how its referred to on the label, not the current FolkRoots). I cant remember if I found it via Google or Howard Ruggs MySpace page. However, Im pretty sure that I didnt come across the CapriTaurus Bigfoot Discovery MuseumI wouldve remembered that!43.gif

Oh, and I understand that some chord players find a dulcimer with a long fretboard, such as the 29 VSL FolkRoots, somewhat awkward to play. But for someone whose limbs end with disproportionately large appendages, this might not be such a problem. Coincidence?39.gif

PS: In other newsHappy Thanksgiving!38.gif Grin.gif

John Keane said:

Cool! I can't believe you haven't checked out the Bigfoot stuff mentioned earlier in the thread! 39.gif I can't wait to hear what y'all think of this little dulcimer!

Geekling said:

I just found out that Keith and I are #31 on the list!36.gif We requested one with just the 6 and 13 frets, so I guess well wind up getting ours a bit sooner than some.Tongue.gif Ooh, this is going to be so much fun!69.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Cool! I can't believe you haven't checked out the Bigfoot stuff mentioned earlier in the thread! 39.gif I can't wait to hear what y'all think of this little dulcimer!

Geekling said:

I just found out that Keith and I are #31 on the list!36.gif We requested one with just the 6 and 13 frets, so I guess well wind up getting ours a bit sooner than some.Tongue.gif Ooh, this is going to be so much fun!69.gif

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

Ken,

After seeing your reply, and that you are #59 on their list, I got real curious as to where I am on "the list". I just talked to Richard and I'm #27. Sounds like they are just so swamped with orders, they've gotten behind on this travel dulcimer project. But, that's a good thing for them.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Ken. That helps alot!

Ken Hulme said:

Frets4Fun -- it's Real Soon Now! Expect yours when you get an email from Folkcraft and the FedX guy shows up at your door.Grin.gif

Last I heard from Richard they were still finishing the instruments and in fact had to make a second batch of trial instruments. Some of those testing the 1+/8+ fret versions will have to wait longer -- for the second batch. Those testing the modern 6+/13+ versions may get theirs sooner as there are fewer of us and they have enough instruments in the pipeline. On Nov 15th he told me "mid-to-late December". I am #59 on the list of testers. He also said:

" I'll email once an instrument is ready for you (it seems that most folks are taking the instrument with

the 1 1/2 and 8 1/2, so yours might be sooner rather than later - we made up a number of each,

but demand is higher than anticipated for the current "modern" extra frets

(as opposed to the 20-30 years less-modern extra frets of 6 1/2 and 13 1/2)."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,124 posts

Frets4Fun -- it's Real Soon Now! Expect yours when you get an email from Folkcraft and the FedX guy shows up at your door.Grin.gif

Last I heard from Richard they were still finishing the instruments and in fact had to make a second batch of trial instruments. Some of those testing the 1+/8+ fret versions will have to wait longer -- for the second batch. Those testing the modern 6+/13+ versions may get theirs sooner as there are fewer of us and they have enough instruments in the pipeline. On Nov 15th he told me "mid-to-late December". I am #59 on the list of testers. He also said:

" I'll email once an instrument is ready for you (it seems that most folks are taking the instrument with

the 1 1/2 and 8 1/2, so yours might be sooner rather than later - we made up a number of each,

but demand is higher than anticipated for the current "modern" extra frets

(as opposed to the 20-30 years less-modern extra frets of 6 1/2 and 13 1/2)."

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

It's the part where dulcimers and Bigfoot must be linked somehow that I found so amusing, I know you're not making this up.

John Keane said:

Well...I wish I could take credit, but I ain't makin' this up! Grin.gif

Beth Hansen-Buth said:

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 35.gif So funny John, so funny.

John Keane said:

I knew Bigfoot and dulcimers had to be linked somehow. Grin.gif

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

So, has anyone got the "official" word of when we'll be contacted and the dulcimers will get sent out to us? I'm reading conflicting claims (mid-Dec., end of Dec., etc.). Just curious.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Yep...they just kinda let the dulcimers become the background music for a time.

Dana R. McCall said:

That was cute. Thanks for posting.Smile.gif I heard a little Ole Joe Clark

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts

That was cute. Thanks for posting.Smile.gif I heard a little Ole Joe Clark

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Okay...here's a link to a video from our local news. This played last month. Dulcimers, Bigfoot, AND a wedding!

http://www.stormtracker12.org/story/15666224/big-foot-love-birds-tie-knot?clienttype=printable

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Well...I wish I could take credit, but I ain't makin' this up! Grin.gif

Beth Hansen-Buth said:

John Keane said:

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

John Keane said:

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Awesome! Well, it seems there are a few of us around here. On a related matter (since this thing is based on the old Folkroots design), Michael Rugg (yes, THAT Michael Rugg) was featured along with his BIGFOOT MUSEUM (in Fenton, CA) on a show that I recently caught in passing (while channel surfing). It seems he may actually have a Sasquatch tooth in his possession (according to the show, tests are going on as we speak). I had NO IDEA he was a Bigfoot guy, but the interview was pretty cool. His place is called "The CapriTaurus Bigfoot Discovery Museum", and admission is free. Talk about a potentially neat place to visit if ever in that area! I knew Bigfoot and dulcimers had to be linked somehow. Grin.gif

Erin said:

Hey John, I'm going to be trying out the standard 6 1/2 and 13 1/2 fret dulcimer which is apparently going to be sent out for testing by around mid December.....can't wait....113.gif

I've been happier with my Keith Young travel dulcimer since I restrung it with lighter gauge strings but I could still go with an instrument with regular tuning pegs rather than the zither pins which I find a challenge to fine tune.17.gif

John Keane said:

Erin, that's great. Which version will you be trying?

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

3.gif Oh you lucky people! I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think of the new travel model. I love my Folkcraft FSH, and someday I will get a sister or brother for her.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

It was largely a blast! I highly recommend it!

frets4fun said:

I sure would like to visit Dulcimerville one of these years. What did you think of it?

John Keane said:

Sounds like a plan. I really liked the Folkcraft instruments that I tried at Dulcimerville last summer, so I'm looking very forward to this!

frets4fun said:

John, maybe those of us here can compare notes on this forum. This summer I purchased a FolkRoots butternut/walnut dulcimer and absolutely love it. I'm really enjoying the 1+ fret. The folks at Folkcraftdo great work. Should be fun.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

I sure would like to visit Dulcimerville one of these years. What did you think of it?

John Keane said:

Sounds like a plan. I really liked the Folkcraft instruments that I tried at Dulcimerville last summer, so I'm looking very forward to this!

frets4fun said:

John, maybe those of us here can compare notes on this forum. This summer I purchased a FolkRoots butternut/walnut dulcimer and absolutely love it. I'm really enjoying the 1+ fret. The folks at Folkcraftdo great work. Should be fun.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

frets4fun said:

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Erin, that's great. Which version will you be trying?

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Frets, we'll need to compare notes. I can't wait to see how they've turned out.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

I signed up to audition one of these Folkroots Travel Dulcimer reissues. I'll probably go with the standard-plus with the 1+ and 8+ frets. I'm really excited to see it and try it out, but it's beena longer wait than expected. From the ED website, sounds like there were several reasons for the delay.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Awesome Ken! Richard told me to expect one around the end of December. I'm testing one with the added 1+/8+ frets.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,124 posts

Ayup; I'll be field testing one of the 6+/13+ frets instruments, and so will be getting mine Real Soon Now. Apparently a large number of folks want to try the 1+/8+ and other closer to chromatic additional fret setups; and because Folkcraft made a limited number of each kind, those testers may have to wait for the second batch of test instruments to be finished. Richard is very interested in my N&D opinion as apparently the fretboard is very shallow...

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Just curious if any of our FOTMD crew signed-up to test drive one of these. I know there were some delays, but I understand they'll be shipping soon. The design (based on the old Folkroots model) is intriguing...simple in appearance, but it looks like it's designed for a big sound in a small package.

updated by @john-keane: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM