Tuner Displaying Octave?

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

DT;

The new one I received in the mail yesterday is the only snark I've had any experience with. I have a feeling that the 'accuracy' claim is pure advertising. My Korg CA-1 seems just as good. The key feature for me though WAS the new display. I can see it while it's clipped on to the headstock of my dulcimer without using my glasses. I do question the durability of the snark. The Korg is very robust (except for cement floors). I won't use the swivel on it much, I think it would wear quickly. The clamp does seem adequate.

I had trouble on occasion with background noise (tv etc.) registering on the Korg. The snark 'reading' vibes through the head stock may be a real advantage. Still new, I'll have a more objective opinion once I've used it a while.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,720 posts

Sam, I have a Snark SN2 (the red one)and was wondering how the SN8 is any different. Is it just the display or is the tuner actually more accurate?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Got my new Snark SN8 in the mail yesterday. The display bars are bigger and easier to read than on earlier models. I have a Korg CA-1 and I like it but I really do like the 'clip on' feature of the snark. With preliminary testing it does not appear to be anymore accurate than the Korg. It comes with a default setting of 440, I'm not sure if I need to change that, but my dulcimer tunes nicely at that setting and it seems to agree favorably with the Korg.

$12.69 FREE shipping ebay.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

That's it Kristi - the Seiko was the one I saw. I see it on Ebay foor $19.95 with free shipping. Heading my way soon! Thanks.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
12 years ago
84 posts

Just checked and found the Seiko on Amazon and eBay. I also have Korg CA-1 but prefer the Seiko. YOMV (your opinion may vary). I also have a fondness for Rick(Rich?) Thumb's 1/4" cable for input. Solidly built to last.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
12 years ago
84 posts

Check out the Seiko SAT501. Costs around $24 ? and worth every penny. The newest Snark clip on is just a tad faster response than prior models. No other improvements. Elderly has 'em on sale this week.

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
12 years ago
31 posts

I need to add a disclaimer: I went back an looked at the TU-80C listing on Amazon and although the picture clearly shows a "C4" on the screen, the model number shown on the pictured tuner is TU-80. So I can't be sure that the TU-80C is the same model or has the same features or not. Given the inaccuracy of listings I've seen on Amazon, I wouldn't be too sure that the listed tuner has all the same functions. OTOH, I can't find any reference at the Boss site for the TU-80C, so I don't know what the deal is.

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
12 years ago
31 posts

The Boss TU-80, $29.99 at Elderly, shows the octave. Its range is E0 to C8. The TU-80C, available at Amazon for $19.41 also shows the octave, but I couldn't find its range anywhere, although it's described as having an "ultra wide" tuning range.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

John - I looked at that one, and several others similar. That's not displaying the octave, 5G is the 5th string G note...

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

iphone? I barely have a cell phone!! Thanks for the note Christian.

Cristian Huet
Cristian Huet
@cristian-huet
12 years ago
1 posts

if you have an iphone you can take the apply : cleartune !

it cost less than one dollar (in europe it's 0,79 euro !!!).

it does all of that and is realy good.

Smile.gif

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

Yeah - this is beyond a battery job - one too many drops onto hard floors I think. You can get the Snark from Amazon for under $15, my local store sells them for darn near full price - over $25...

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts
My music store has the new Snark on sale for $14.95 http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=snark-sn8&x=0&y=0
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,720 posts

Ken, first, are you sure you don't just need a new battery? My tuners get a little hinky when the battery gets low.

I have a Shark and love it. I have the red SN2, but I think there is a newer model out that is supposed to be even more accurate. The metronome feature is pretty useless, but I like that it can work either through the vibration of the instrument as a clip on or through a microphone if your instrument has no convenient place to clip the device. Search the web and you can find some for less than $15.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts
I have the Snark AIT and love it. Actually have more than 1.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

Oh yeah. I don't need an octave display, but it would be nice if it were $20 or less. I'm looking at the Snark clip on and the new Korg small clip-on too. Both are under $10 if you shop the 'net.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

It's my only guess. Maybe it wasn't what you were thinking of. Yes, $69 is a bit steep. I bet there's a better option out there somewhere for you Ken.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

That could have been the beast, but I don't remember that big triskele dial. Price little sucker at $69 Amazon price, isn't it!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

OK, so my third Korg CA-30 tuner is biting the dust after 4 or 5 years - displaying B# when I know I'm near D...

What I want is a tuner that displays the octave that you're in, not just the note -- D3, C4, A4 etc, not just D, C, A.

I've seen and used one, but can't remember where or who it belonged to (Senior moment?) Any ideas who makes such a critter and how much it costs?

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/31/23 10:07:07PM