Kantele: How Difficult to Learn - How Do You Play It?

Peter W.
Peter W.
@peter-w
10 years ago
47 posts

Strumming the small kantele is so much fun! Smile.gif

I reworked the chord chart I have uploaded here the other day.

I tried to show which of the most common chords are available on the five string kantele. I added the chart as jpg and as pdf here.

On the five string kantele, some chords are incomplete ambiguios (i.e. identical fingerings may stand for different chords. For example, A and Am are identical, because there is no c or c# string. Em (e-g-b) and C (c-e-g) are identical, because there is no c and no b string on the five string kantele). Incomplete chords become "completed" and distinct when someone sings or plays a melody instrument along.

If there are any mistakes or if you have suggestions, just let me know. Thank you.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

Thank you, Macy Jayne. Looks like you are well on your way with your Kantele. You did a beautiful job on the instrument and learning the song. I also appreciated the link to the video where you bought yours.

Thank you, Barbara, for alerting Macy Jayne to this post.

I'd love to get additional feedback from others out there. Grin.gif It's a pretty sounding instrument and it's not common. That's what makes it interesting.

Macy Jayne
Macy Jayne
@wendy-coons-karrasch
12 years ago
24 posts

Here's a link to where I bought my kit and their vid about kanteles.

http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=kantele

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

I appreciated your suggestion about Ken's video. You didn't know if I saw it yet or not. Maybe Macy Jane will post...I don't know her. Thanks for the post.

Barbara P said:

Sorry I couldn't be of any help frets alot.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

Barbara, Yes , I did see Ken's video. But he didn't talk much about some of the things I was interested in or actually play songs on it. So, that's why I thought I'd see if I could get more information here.
Barbara P said

Have you seen this video on Youtube? I think Ken Bloom gives a nice overview of the instrument:

You can also ask Macy Jane who just built one. She's a member here and I am sure she could answer some questions.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

I'm taking a guess that some of you dulcimer playershave alsodabbled with the Kantele. If so, does anyone want to answer a fewquestions and/or share their thoughts/experiences....

How difficult is it to learn?

How do you play it?

How many strings do you recommend?

Just curious for some input. Thanks.

updated by @susie: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM