The Power of Music

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts
Went to visit my Mom yesterday at the nursing home. I had George my dulcimer (it came with that name so I kept it).I was standing in the hall waiting to get into my Mom's room. she has become wheelchair bound over the years.. when another woman walked up and asked if I was there to play music. I said I was there to play for my Mom. I felt ashamed after I said it could see the disappointment in her eyes. Now I'm just a beginner and maybe can play two or three songs worth anything in my opinion, if I am lucky. Played for about 30 minutes give or take for my Mom. Seems like for her she don't care how many missed notes I play she likes it anyway.As I was getting ready to leave I was taking the shortcut to the door by cutting through the dinning room I didn't want to disappoint anymo4re people. Boy talk about what goes around comes around. there was a bunch of people sitting up to play bingo. As soon as they seen my case they didn't bother to ask they assumed I was there to play for them, they stopped setting up for bingo turned their chairs to the face the front of the room. What ya going to do when there's at lest 20 people looking at you to play something for them and you know there's now more on the way.I did the only thing I could do and live with I went to the front and pulled out George and lucky for me I had a bunch of sheet music with me. some I had yet to even try to pay yet. Boy I was wishing I had one of my Guitars with me instead of my Dulcimer, or at lest one of my Native American flutes. Took a deep breath and went to work without any kind of a set list. I started with Scotland the Brave, the crippled Spanish Fandango then on to a couple that went aq lot better This land is your land witch got them to singing and blow'n the wind and then some hymns They clapped along they laughed( I have been blessed with the gift of gab Plus I am a decent adliber.) they tapped their toes. It didn't last long maybe 30 minutes, I think they had a good time at lest that what I was told.. Me I was happy to be heading out the door. Next time I really want to be ready, that was never racking. but felt good in the end.
Carolyn Beaulieu
Carolyn Beaulieu
@carolyn-beaulieu
12 years ago
1 posts

I have worked in a nursing home for 24 years and an assisted living for the past year...I havewitnessed the power of music in so many ways. Before I started playing the dulcimer I tried to teach myself to play the keyboard. I would play at work (PAINFULLY slow to start!) you could never have a more grateful and encouraging audience...we would played name that tune ...if they could tell what I was playing then I knew I was getting better...if they couldn't tell they would say how wonderful it sounded anyway! Same thing with the dulcimer today...and when my dog sings along they love it even better! I would encourage everyone to play at least once.

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

Just seen this story on FOX News. on how some Hospital and a growing number are using Music therapy.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/22/little-music-goes-long-way/?test=latestnews

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
12 years ago
399 posts

Thank you for sharing this video! I have felt the power of music, myself, and feel it's as necessary to life as air and water.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

Phil, it's a great organization! Thanks to you for drawing our attention to it. And Melody, who works with the organization doing these programs, has now joined FOTMD as a member too! Melody says she loves dulcimer music and has some on her playlists.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Karen Keane
Karen Keane
@karen-keane
12 years ago
11 posts

Music is such a part of my life that is hard for me to imagine that people don't have access to music twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Music is indeed very powerful and allows us to express our inner soul, whether we are young or old, music makes us feel. It reminds us of moments in our life, helps us heal, and brings a smile to our faces. Thank you for posting this Phil, it reminded me of the true power of music and our responsibility to bring that joy to others on a daily basis. Grin.gif

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

Strumelia Thank you for adding this to my post. I wish I had this information when I received the link from a friend.

Macy Jayne
Macy Jayne
@wendy-coons-karrasch
12 years ago
24 posts

Phil, great discussion title. Music has been VERY powerful in my life. When I finally hit bottom 8 years ago, God drew me up out of the pit through music and I finally put my trust in Jesus. I haven't played in a nursing home yet, but have seen how music affects children, sometimes calms them and sometimes winds them upGrin.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

Phil, that is something very, very special that you are playing for your mother now.

--
Site Owner

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

I have been going to the nursing home and playing for my Mom. I don't think I am that good yet on the dulcimer but it sure seemed to draw a crowed around her door last week. I normally play my flute or guitar for her. I have been learning a lot more of the old hymns for her.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Hi, John! Your point about young people and music is right on the mark.

It's fascinating to me how in the video, it seems it was the singing and enjoyment of music when he was a younger man that caused hearing the music on the iPod to trigger something in the gentleman's brain. As Strumelia wrote about classical music being such a joy to her mother and continuing to be even as her body weakened. . . The languages of music can speak, move us in mysterious ways. I'm awed by this.

John E. Wood said:

Having played in nursing homes, I've experienced this. Music is really a powerfully moving force. I'm not in the healing profession but I know there are studies going on regarding the healing effects of music. And I firmly believe that encouraging young people to MAKE some kind of music has to have some upbuilding effect on their lives. The mountain dulcimer is one of the instruments well suited to making music easy for many folks who have neither the time nor the financial resources or talent to master a more complicated instrument. I'm glad to be a part of the mountain dulcimer community. Best wishes to all.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

Phil, what a WONDERFUL video to watch....brought tears to my eyes this morning. Everyone should watch this to the end of the video- gets better and better.

My mother spent her last 2.5 years in a nursing home near me, and I made sure she had her classical music radio station playing all day in her room, every single day. I would make sure and check that the nurses turned it on every day. It played while I sat with her as she died, too. Classical music was my mother's biggest joy in life. (Aside from spending time together the two of us, that is.)

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Phil, this video is powerful! Music, whether 'live' or recorded, has the power to move mountains. Recorded music-- music that sounds just as (or much like) what the older person heard when younger-- could trigger something buried in the mind. Miraculous.

Thanks a million for posting this link! I'm going to have Mark watch this video.

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

As musicians we sometime don't realize how the music we make may effect someone else life. If you have ever had the opportunity to play in a nursing home you can see it upon the face of the peple that live there.

I was not sure where to post this video. but it truly show the power of music.

(Strumelia edit):

Here is a link to Music and Memory , a non-profit organization helping the elderly through music, where you can find out more about their wonderful programs and you can help!

http://www.musicandmemory.org/

updated by @phil: 08/03/23 03:33:11PM