Anyone Been to Old Time Week at Augusta/Davis and Elkins

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
12 years ago
242 posts

Never, but I did go to Guitar week several years ago. It's the best set up I have seen at any camp or workshop. You have a morning lesson each day with your chosen teacher. Each morning, they build on what went before, correcting mistakes as you go. They have a week to really impart some knowledge. PM classes you can choose a different teacher each day, or go practice the mornings lesson, sleep so you can stay up late jamming, etc. The teacher and classmates get very familiar by weeks end. I still correspond with my guitar teacher from 6 or 7 years ago, and am hoping to set up a lesson next month, when our passes will cross for a few days. It spoiled me for the 1 hour classes at festivals & such. Now I take very few of them, and just find someone to jam with instead.

Paul

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Thanks, Cheryl. My folks are falling apart just ahead of me. LOL

Yes, a week is a lot, especially if one has any physical problems that are effected by playing an instrument.

Cheryl Johnson said:

Robin,

Hopefully I'll be fully recovered from Dulcimer U by then! :) :) A week is a lot! I have that week off from work and its either Old Time Week or up to John Campbell for some bluegrass guitar picking. Hmmmmmm.

Hope your folks are okay.

Cheryl

Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson
@cheryl-johnson
12 years ago
43 posts

Robin,

Hopefully I'll be fully recovered from Dulcimer U by then! :) :) A week is a lot! I have that week off from work and its either Old Time Week or up to John Campbell for some bluegrass guitar picking. Hmmmmmm.

Hope your folks are okay.

Cheryl

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Phyllis Gaskins is teaching at Old-Time Week? Wow! I didn't know that!

I've been to Augusta twice during Old-Time Week/Vocal Week/Dance Week. In '04, I took autoharp at OT Week and last year I took different classes from the Vocal Week offerings. Augusta's pretty durn cool.Smile.gif If my folks' health were better, I might consider going this year.

***I just saw that it's the Old-Time Week in October (and not the one in August). Got me thinking now. . . And wondering how I'd do toward the end of a week's worth of strumming. I'm going to keep this in mind and will have to see how mom & dad are doing come early autumn.

Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson
@cheryl-johnson
12 years ago
43 posts

That sounds great!! Maybe you should come again this year!!3.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,248 posts

I've been, about 12 yrs ago. I love Augusta, and old-time week is particularly nice. No lack of fascinating classes to take, and lots of mixed jamming everywhere. Lots of variety and something for everyone.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson
@cheryl-johnson
12 years ago
43 posts

Wondering about any experience with this event. Phyllis Gaskins is teaching and I think it looks like a great week of mixed instruments!

updated by @cheryl-johnson: 06/11/15 07:31:06AM