Encyclopedia of Appalachia

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
12 years ago
1,084 posts

You're welcome Robin. Glad they had a copy.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,426 posts

Hey, Ken, I went to the Ollie's in Newark OH and got a copy. Wow, it's some big book and I look forward to spending time with it. Many thanks for the heads-up!

Kenneth W. Longfield said:

No problem Robin. The offer is open as long as the supply lasts. Ollies buys damaged tractor trailer loads, remainders, etc. I do not know where these books came from, but they are new and shrink wrapped. Folk music and crafts are only a small part of the Encyclopedia.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
12 years ago
1,084 posts

No problem Robin. The offer is open as long as the supply lasts. Ollies buys damaged tractor trailer loads, remainders, etc. I do not know where these books came from, but they are new and shrink wrapped. Folk music and crafts are only a small part of the Encyclopedia.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,426 posts

Ken,

If I can't get to the Ollies up in Licking County to see if they have any copies, I may just take you up on your generous offer. Would it be all right if I let you know in the next few days?

Kenneth W. Longfield said:

I think there are seven more copies at the Ollies here. I am not sure how much it would cost to send them at the media mail rate, but it would still be cheaper than the list price. I am willing to purchase a few and send them out just for the cost of the book and mailing.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
12 years ago
1,084 posts

I think there are seven more copies at the Ollies here. I am not sure how much it would cost to send them at the media mail rate, but it would still be cheaper than the list price. I am willing to purchase a few and send them out just for the cost of the book and mailing.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,426 posts

Wow, I wish I could get to an Ollie's and buy a copy! (I've never heard of this outlet store.)

PS-I just searched and found there's an Ollie's in the county north of where I live! I just may need to take a little trip. . . Thanks for the information, Ken!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Thanks, Ken, I'll check the Ollie's in Clarksburg today! Like you, I still like to hold a book in my hand and turn the pages! Having on-line, or electronic editions is nice, but there's just something about paper!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
12 years ago
1,084 posts

I posted this information over at EverythingDulcimer, but for those who are here at FOTMD and do not visit ED, I thought I would share it here as well.

I had a pleasant surprise the other day while browsing through the books at Ollie's Bargain Outlet. For those not familiar with Ollie's here is what Wikipedia has to say about it: Ollie's Bargain Outlet is a chain of retail stores founded in 1982 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania by the late Morton Bernstein. The first store was opened in Mechanicsburg, just outside Harrisburg. The chain now has 120 locations (as of June 2012) in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, New York, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Michigan.
Well, I found a copy (actually eight brand new shrink wrapped copies) of the Encyclopedia of Appalachia for $9.99 each. The EOA is published by the University of Tennessee Press and is still in print from them for $79.95 (Amazon, $70.95). Needless to say I purchased a copy. It has an extensive section on Music which contains a one page entry for the fretted dulcimer and a half page entry for hammered dulcimer. Other items of interest to folks on ED include the section on crafts and folklore. I am just beginning to explore this handy reference to Appalachia.
If you do a web search for Encyclopedia of Appalachia you will find a listing for the music section which is accessible on the Internet. It will give you a good feel for the book. I think that eventually the whole book will be on the Internet. While I have enjoyed the web edition it is nice to be able to hold the print edition and look through it.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 06/11/15 07:32:58AM