John Stinson #2 history?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

I know what you're talking about, Robin. I don't, as a rule, play Stinson's #2 by myself-- usually play it with someone who adds those changes in part B and the two styles blend nicely.

Robin Clark said:

I was looking at the music for thistune last week as a potential one for playing in noter drone. I thought it was a little 'plain' without the modern Celtic chord changes in Part B, which seem to be the#2 tunes signature. I think I may have a go at adding back some ornamentation to Part B to make it a little more of a 'tune' for noter drone- If it works out perhaps I'll record it and post it here as John Stinson #3 Grin.gif

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
12 years ago
239 posts

I was looking at the music for thistune last week as a potential one for playing in noter drone. I thought it was a little 'plain' without the modern Celtic chord changes in Part B, which seem to be the#2 tunes signature. I think I may have a go at adding back some ornamentation to Part B to make it a little more of a 'tune' for noter drone- If it works out perhaps I'll record it and post it here as John Stinson #3 Grin.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts
You're welcome, fellas! If you find anything further, I'd be interested in seeing it.
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

That's an interesting link. I've often wondered about that myself.

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
12 years ago
60 posts

Thanks Robin!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Dave, there might be a lead or two in the following link in which some history could be tracked down:

http://www.bartonpara.com/discog/missouri/stinson2.htm

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
12 years ago
60 posts

Does anyone know of any history behind the tune John Stinson #2?

updated by @david-bennett: 06/11/15 07:33:12AM