Happier than a Hog in Slop!

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Just got back from Berea, took the Ledford to Warren May to be restored and a old one of his that i found #646 to be checked out. He said I got a real bargin on the Ledford and that it was worth 900 dollars. That is 850 more than I paid for it. Good profit margin there. He said it was an easy fix and would be playable when he got it done. All the frets were in good shape. He said it was made to play in DAC tuning. Something to do with a shorter 1 fret ? I can't wait to get it back, but told him I was in no hurry, want him to take his time and do it right. And his father in law passed away this morning at the age of 94. I was very sorry to hear that. Warren told me the noter in with the old dulcimer of his I took in was one made by his father in law. He couldn't believe to be as old as it is the dulcimer and case were in new condition just like they had just left his shop and it was 40 yrs old.

Scott Allen
Scott Allen
@scott-allen
12 years ago
24 posts

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

susie i need to recount, i've got them all over the place plus a couple loaned out. I'm not sure how many i have right now, plus i SOLD one. ewwww i don't like saying that word.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

How many dulcimers does this make for you? Congrats on the find!

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

But i need to say also that was a couple of years ago before money was as tight. A lot of things(antiques) that were bringing good money a couple years ago are down right now. I just hope it goes back up one day.

Dana R. McCall said:

Tom most of the ones down that low a number I've seen go for 1000 to 1200

Tom McDonald said:

Great find, Dana! Just curious: what do you figure this is really worth once restored?

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Kevin I spend way to much time on the net. I search all over for them. Just been lucky and got good deals on all of mine so far.

Kevin Messenger said:

Man why can't i find these deals. Great job Dana, looking forward to seeing your Ledford. Kevin.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Tom most of the ones down that low a number I've seen go for 1000 to 1200

Tom McDonald said:

Great find, Dana! Just curious: what do you figure this is really worth once restored?

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

That's just incredible...good for you!

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
12 years ago
86 posts

Man why can't i find these deals. Great job Dana, looking forward to seeing your Ledford. Kevin.

Tom McDonald
Tom McDonald
@tom-mcdonald
12 years ago
26 posts

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

LOL Patty I can always find more room for another dulcimer! I'll post pics tomorrow before I take it to Berea to Warrens shop.

Patty from Virginia said:

Dana, good for you! Put them on the ceiling. After all, Fred Astaire danced on the ceiling. I can't wait to see the picturesSmile.gif

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Thats whats wrong with this one JH the sides have come loose. but no cracks or splits. Rest of the body is in really good shape. Looks like the glue just dried out.

John Henry said:

Chuckle, Robin, how you doing, I might have guessed you would come back at me (I have actualy done a refurb on a Ledford , JohnS purchased a very beat up instrument, reminiscent of one of Charlie Chaplins shoes, bad case of glue failure for some reason, it looked like hide glue to me ?)

John

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
12 years ago
231 posts

Dana, good for you! Put them on the ceiling. After all, Fred Astaire danced on the ceiling. I can't wait to see the picturesSmile.gif

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

Chuckle, Robin, how you doing, I might have guessed you would come back at me (I have actualy done a refurb on a Ledford , JohnS purchased a very beat up instrument, reminiscent of one of Charlie Chaplins shoes, bad case of glue failure for some reason, it looked like hide glue to me ?)

John

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

LOL sorry ya'll but I think it's a keeper, John I'll just have Jimmy boy build me another wall! Or I might start putting them on the ceiling.:)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,426 posts

I offer $77 and John Henry will do the refurb for free!Grin.gif Grin.gif

John Henry said:

$76, and I'll do the refurb for free?

an onlookerGrin.gif

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

$76, and I'll do the refurb for free?

an onlookerGrin.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,426 posts

Hey, Dana, I'll give you $75 sight unseen!Grin.gif Grin.gif Hope to see pictures of your new treasure!

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

Huh ! for starters that thar wall ain't big enough to take more, and in any case the sun/light will only aid the timber to bleach its true colour a tad, and just what in tarnation is that Jim doing letting you run riot in such a fashion, time you came to heel gal! (hasty signing off !!!)

Good on you

John

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Lordy, Lordy.... You just getting too many of those, Dana. Pass 'em around 3.gif

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

LOL Don't choke John H. What can I sayI'm just a ledford magnet. LOL

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Well while crusing Craigs list last week...I saw a dulcimer that caught my eye. Looked like a Ledford headstock and it had diamond sound holes and staple frets. Called the number and it was a pickers site that buys out estates and resales. I asked if they knew who made the dulcimer and they said no. I asked how much they wanted and they said 60 bucks, so I told them I would take it.

I got it in the mail today, they failed to tell me the glue had come loose from the sides and the bridge was missing but other wise it's in good shape, just needed a clean up. I looked inside and couldn't find a name anywhere, so I was dissappointed. But still it looked just like my other ledfords except it is about a inch shorter and the tail piece is a litte different. so decided to try again to find a name. Got my book light out and ran it down the sound hole and guess what....there it was in pencil Built by Homer Ledford Winchester KY Number 1163!!!! For 60 bucks and 10 dollars shipping. I'm going to run it down to Warren May in Berea and see if he will restore it for me. I LOVE a bargain.Grin.gif

updated by @dana-r-mccall: 08/03/23 03:35:58PM