My other Hobby

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

For anyone on facebook, i've opened a page called Brush Strokes by Dana. If you are on FB pleace stop by and like it. The 100th person to like the page will recieve a free 11x14 acrylic PET Portrait!Grin.gif

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

That is GREAT John I can always use good advice.113.gif

john p
john p
@john-p
12 years ago
173 posts

Hi Dana, not an artist, but spent 25 years in the business as a tech. I've seen a lot of artwork up close and personal and spent an awful lot of time working with artists, curators, restorers, owners ...

john

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Hey John, Thanks for the tips, they are great, gave me some ideas for my next pic. I'm trying to get depth and that is hard to do sometimes. Love the idea of the fish lips above the water. You give some great advice. Do you paint? Thanks again. Dana

john p
john p
@john-p
12 years ago
173 posts

Thank you Dana.

These three world designs are difficult to pull off sucessfully, You've done very well.

It's always the top layer that is the most difficult to fill out fully. The bubbles help so maybe a few small ripples on the surface would add something, where the stones break the surface perhaps. How about a one of the carp just breaking the surface with a lip and causing little circles, The reflection of a cat licking it's lips.

A little photographic tip, try throwing a dark blanket over the chest. This kills the reflection off the painting, and more importantly kills the reflection on to it giving more even lighting over the surface. Reflected and raking light is your enemy on canvas.

john

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

john p said:

Very well executed Dana.

A longer range shot showing the overall design would have been niceSmile.gif

john

344_forums.jpg?width=721

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

I don't know what I'm doing half the time Kimberly. LOL Never know till i'm done. Where do you teach an art class? I used to volinteer at the Jr High to be a teachers aid in art class when they had a sub or needed help. I really enjoyed it.

Kimberly M. said:

Wow, Dana! Very cool! I need you to come here to Memphis to teach my art class. I have no clue what I'm doing. lol. Grin.gif

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

John as soon as it's finished I'll post a full pic of it so the whole picture can be seen at once. ThanksSmile.gif

john p
john p
@john-p
12 years ago
173 posts

Very well executed Dana.

A longer range shot showing the overall design would have been niceSmile.gif

john

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Not trying to advertise on the site but i do commission work if anyone is interested. Graphite pencil portraits and houses or building. Pets and animals, acrylic paint, graphite pencil and watercolor pencil. Message me if interested. You can check out my art work on my FB page under albums or some of my work is on here under my photos. Thanks. Dana

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Thanks Susie and PattySmile.gif

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
12 years ago
231 posts

Dana, that is absolutely gorgeous!!!Smile.gif

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts
You sure are talented. My drawing ability stops at stick people. I have alot of respect for people who are artistic like that. Keep it up.
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

That's a neat idea Garey, but i won't be hanging it in my house I have no room, all my walls are covered in dulcimers. lol Might put it for sale on Ebay and see what happens. Or stick it in the closet with the other pics. HAHA

Garey McAnally said:

Sooooooooo cool, Dana. It almost feels like you could reach out and touch the koi. I'm wondering where you will hang it. Sounds crazy, but it seems like you would naturally look at it from above. But, how would you display it on the floor??? Wouldn't it be neat mounted under the glass of a coffee table or a large tray.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Thanks Robin and Carrie.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

helen I've been drawing and painting since I was 12 yrs old. I have some of my artwork posted in my pictures here. The one of the swan is the first thing I ever painted at 13. I stopped painting and drawing for a long time after I got married. Just doing little things here and there. I painted a heck of a lot of Demolition Derby cars and Mud trucks with cartoons for friends during that time. But didn't get back to painting things I wanted to till about 98. I have had no training or schooling in art. Just High School. I just love it.

Helen Seiler said:

Wow wow Dana. That is amazing. How many years BD (Before Dulcimer) have you been painting. You are a very talented artist and musician. Loved the pitter patter of paws in the background. (Sounds familiar) Helen
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,426 posts

That's just cool, Dana!

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Been in the mood to paint the last few days, so my dulcimer hasn't had much attention. But I have been having fun indulging in my other hobby, my first love before my dulcimer. Painting! couldn't find my camera so I videoed what I been doing.

updated by @dana-r-mccall: 08/01/23 08:30:49AM