Have you met other FOTMD's in real life and become friends?

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
5 years ago
231 posts

Yes. Berea the last 2 years was great. I count all those there among my many dulcimer friends. Thanks for FOTMD which allowed the organizers the forum to put that event together in 2018 and 2019. Looking forward to Berea 2020.

Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
5 years ago
34 posts

I'm among the newer folks to go to a gathering, even with 50+ years with a dulcimer! I was delighted to meet the folks at Berea last May that have responded here--David & Karen Bennett, Ken Hulme, John Knopf, Steven Berger, Irene, as well as many others including Lois, Nina, Glenda, Bobby Ratliff & Deborah, Dan Cox, & Richard Streib that I can presently think of. But we missed Ken Longfield!

It was a great gathering and I hope to see the same folks again as well as new folks next May. I've already begun practicing for next year. What's more, if you're "on the fence" about coming, you won't want to miss the chance to win one of John Knopf's authentic, historic reproduction dulcimers! 

Ann

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,073 posts

As many have mentioned the Hindman and Berea gatherings have brought many of us together. It is a festivals that I met many of the folks from FOTMD or the dearly departed Everything Dulcimer site. I think the number of members I've met in person is over twenty. I know it is getting too high for me to count on all my fingers and toes.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 years ago
385 posts

I've met many WONDERFUL folks from FOTMD in Berea, KY or in Hindman, KY the past few years.  (I can't remember any of them as being awful or unfriendly!)  I think particularly of those special friends in Hindman who started and ran the dulcimer project there, as well as my fellow luthiers who are attempting to raise high the banner of traditional dulcimore building and playing.  

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
5 years ago
167 posts

OH YES YES YES....and I can hardly wait for the next Berea, Kentucky gathering.  I consider all that were there my friends.   If fact, a great blessing.  I smile even typing this note.  I've called several and asked how to solve a problem I'm into with dulcimer making and the problem gets solved.  That's friendship.  Then I've gone to the OLD PAL Festival in Palestine, Texas and what a blast that is.   YES, friends with many there and I'm looking forward to going to my 4th festival there.  Marvelous entertainment and classes and jamming there.  my brother and I have gone for 3 years in a row and we figured "that's our family reunion"   aloha, irene

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 years ago
143 posts

Me three...at Berea, where the wacky ones tend to gather...including Kenh and David!whistle

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,111 posts

Me too -- same wacky bunch of hardcore Traditional players and builders, including David...

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
5 years ago
60 posts

I've met several/many the last two years at the Berea Traditional Dulcimore Gathering and have become friends with them!

updated by @david-bennett: 11/13/19 06:07:29PM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I have met quite a few Daves, and they were all spectacular!  It's been a very long time, so sadly I don't remember everyone.  

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 years ago
85 posts

Finally met Mike Vickey today. Bev and I were up that way and he took us through the vineyards that bordered his property. Looked for for arrow heads. Had a real nice visit.

--
Site Moderator
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
8 years ago
182 posts

Karen and I sincerely hope to see some FOTMD friends on the road this summer! We'll be in Benton, Arkansas June 2-4 for Arkladulcifest, Kentucky Music Week (Bardstown) the last week of June, Folkcraft Instruments in Woodburn, Indiana July 9 for the Second Saturday Workshop and concert, Evart, Michigan for the ODPC Funfest July 14-17, the Oaks of Louisiana in Shreveport July 29, the Homer Ledford Festival in Winchester, Kentucky over Labor Day weekend, back to Folkcraft in Indiana for the Indiana Dulcimer Festival September 17-18, and a few other festive places along the way. If you are in (or plan to be in) ANY of these areas at those times...let's hook up! We are performing and teaching at each of those events and we hope to see YOU there!

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

I met one of my NC neighbors, Gail Webber, at the Carolina Mountain Dulcimer Players workshops in Chapel Hill, NC yesterday. We were in 3 workshops together. I almost bought her McSpadden dulcimer, but one of my fellow Triangle Mountain Dulcimer Association members beat me to it! hi5

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

That's truly a wonderful tale, Ann!   :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
422 posts

Met David Pedersen on my trip hope to Oklahoma.  Played for 2 or 3 hours together.  Then, as has been said several times, Ken Backer and his wife, Lin, at Jim Fawcett's last night.  Great time on Jim and Bev's porch.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

It sure was great to meet Ken and Lin Backer and my old friend Rob at Cracker Barrel last night and the good time jammin on "The Porch"

That pie wasn't too bad at all.droool  Yinz guys can come back anytime. 

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 08/12/15 06:34:25PM
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Wonderful Ken, it is great you all met and got to play music on Jim's porch.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,415 posts

Hey, Ken, you met some of my FOTMD/in-person friends!  And I can attest to Bev's skill in the kitchen. thumbsup

Ken Backer
Ken Backer
@ken-backer
9 years ago
31 posts

Last night Lin and I had the best time with Rob Lackey, and Jim and Bev Fawcett.  After supper we sat on the porch at the Fawcett's lovely home in the country and played music.  And I have to mention Bev's delicious zuccini pie!thumbsup

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Ken, so happy you are down to meet Patty, Jim and Rob, hope you have a good time jamming n eating guys!jive

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Have fun Ken!!!cooldance

--
Site Owner

Ken Backer
Ken Backer
@ken-backer
9 years ago
31 posts

Oh, and Patty.... Thanks for giving me the designation of "gentleman".  Sure beats my usual title of " old geezer" winky

Ken Backer
Ken Backer
@ken-backer
9 years ago
31 posts

Patty, you were the first FOTMD member I ever met in person and it was a pleasure.  Tomorrow Lin and I are having supper with Jim Fawcett and Rob Lackey, followed by a jam session.  Looking forward to it!dancecool

Joe Hamilton
Joe Hamilton
@joe-hamilton
9 years ago
9 posts

I have really enjoyed meeting the Wartz attendees. Too many names to remember but good souls all of them.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

I recently met Ken Backer who is a very nice gentleman. I'm honored to have met him and to hear him sing to us. That was a treat. Ken, if you are reading this, you come back. We'll be waiting for you. 

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

There are lots of folks that I've known from here as well as other events I've attended....it gets hard to keep it all straight after awhile.  But several great friends I definitly knew first as FOTMD people and then sought them out in the "real" world: Dana McCall (love ya, Dana!) who, it turns out, lives only 15 miles away!; Gail Webber who I first welcomed on this site and has since been my roommate at several workshops, retreats, and events; Rob Lackey, an interesting poster here and a really fun guy to jam with (met him at Dana's "Just Ain't Right" Jam a few years ago); and Mark Runge whose progress as a luthier I really admire and who, with his lovely wife Val, I have had fun exchanging visits with as we travel or attend events.  I had also read posts by Kristi Keller on here long before I met her and she became my "big sister" in Tucson, Arizona. 

There are many more who I know I am going to meet someday!  Marg, bless her heart, offered me a place to stay when my brother was dying in a hospital near her home.  Although it didn't work out for me to do that, I'll never forget the offered gift of a room to a sad visitor to Texas!  Dulcimer friends are really the best!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

This past weekend at The Dutchland Dulcimer Festival, I had the pleasure of meeting three FOTMD members.

Oliver Odgen, Maryann Lang and Jeff Hamilton. If I missed anyone Let me know. Had a wonderful time in Lancaster.

--
Site Moderator
Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
10 years ago
70 posts

I was lucky enough to meet Dave Brown and Don Whicker through this site. We all live in Greensboro, NC and now get together to play once a week.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 years ago
85 posts

Last weekend when I was in Hindman KY, I met a few FOTMD and former FOTMD members. Mike Slone, Dan Cox, John Knopf, and Larry Hicks. I don't think I forgot anyone.106.gif

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,415 posts
Cool, Jim! It's such a nice coincidence you met someone at Wartz 'n' All who lives close-by.
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 years ago
85 posts

I was hopeful that she would attend, Lisa, being new and not knowing anyone here was a leap of faith for her. But she did come and had a great time.

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,248 posts

I was just thinking about that when I was looking at the new Wartz n' All group photo yesterday! It's just so great that the internet can bring like-minded people together this way.

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 years ago
85 posts

Just yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting a brand new member of FOTMD Jeanne White, at our Wartz 'n' All Spring Gathering. She just lives about 20 minutes over the hill from me in good ole PA. Chalk up another one.

--
Site Moderator
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
11 years ago
85 posts

I didn't realize it until Rob said something to me this morning. Jerry Rockwell is a member of FOTMD and I didn't remember that.

Sorry Jerry!40.gif So he's another one that I've met from here.

--
Site Moderator
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
11 years ago
422 posts

At Wartz'an'All I met John Wood for the 1st time. [Close your ears, John!] I hope we'll be together again some time; he's a good player and a nice guy.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,073 posts

That should be John Wood. Must have had Jim on my mind. Didn't catch that in time to edit it. I have met around 65 members of FOTMD give or take one or two. Looking forward to meeting more at festivals this year.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,073 posts

And I had the pleasure of meeting Jim and his wife Bev as well as Jim Wood and Kevin Messenger at the same event.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
11 years ago
85 posts

Had the pleasure of meeting Ken Longfield and his wife Betty at the Wartz 'n' All Spring Fling in Clarksburg, WV. Yesterday. So 13 members so far.

--
Site Moderator
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
11 years ago
85 posts

Just remembered that I met Macy Jane (Wendy) and Jennifer Schaffer at Perkasie this past May.

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,415 posts

And my bowed dulcimer friend Roseanne Denchy is also a FOTMD!Smile.gif

It really is something of a surprise to me how many music friends I've met over the past several years, especially because I've never attended any of the big dulcimer fests. (When I joined Everything Dulcimer in '05, I'd not yet met any of the dulcimer friends I have now.) I feel rich, indeed.Smile.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,415 posts

18.gif Thanks, Dana!Grin.gif

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

I forgive you...this time!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,415 posts

Oh my goodness, Dana, how did I do that? 40.gif 9.gif Seems like I've known you forever, my friend. 6.gif

I probably should've made a paper-and-pencil list 26.gif and not responded to this thread32.gif for about a month.Grin.gif Grin.gif

Am I losing my mind35.gif or what106.gif ? 24.gif

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

Yes Robin you are forgetting someone MEEEEEE!!!!

Robin Thompson said:

Like Rob, I've not met a FOTMD member I didn't like!Smile.gif I'm trying to think of them all. . . and they kind of come in the 'order' in which I met them. Gary Sager, Laura Elder, Butch Ross, Julie Elman, Ken Longfield, Hunter Walker, Kendra Ward, Tish Westman, Bing Futch, Doug Berch, Jim Fawcett, Rob Lackey, Sam (Oh, gee, I just think of Sam as Sam and can't recall his last name!Smile.gif )Tom McDonald, John Wood, Barbara (nice lady who sold a dulcimer to Jim F). . . I'm likely missing someone. My world has been made richer for having made the acquaintance of each of the friends of the mountain dulcimer!

PS-Oh, I must be forgetting someone! Frown.gif

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
11 years ago
85 posts

Hey Robin. Thanks for jogging my memory. I think one of the very first people from FOTMD I met was Randall. Sorry, Randall, it's that sometimers kickin' in again.

Robin Thompson said:

Oh, Kim, I was so focused on mountain dulcimer events. . .40.gif ! What a pleasure it was to meet you 6.gif in Pilot Mountain and to see26.gif you take to the bowed dulcimer so quickly.Smile.gif (I wasn't surprised to see you catch-on so quickly!5.gif )

I also have met Don Pedi, Paul Tantillo, Maurice Solis, ReVonda Crow, Teri Sato, Marge Diamond and Randall McKinnon.6.gif There are some FOTMD members I've listed that I met before there was an FOTMD; I knew of them from Everything Dulcimer and then we met in-person.113.gif

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,415 posts

Now, let's see. . . a few other bowed dulcimer friends who are also FOTMD friends are Ken Bloom, Ruth Randle, Marsha Harris. . . Oh, I'm coming to realize that I'm not sure who-all I've met in person in the dulcimer world who is also on FOTMD and am realizing I've actually met quite a few FOTMD folks in-person. There's Heidi Mueller, Jerry Rockwell and Mary Lautzenheiser to mention a few more wonderful folks. I met some of the friends before there was an FOTMD and since I confuse easily43.gif 71.gif . . . Love my music friends! 6.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,415 posts

Oh, Kim, I was so focused on mountain dulcimer events. . .40.gif ! What a pleasure it was to meet you 6.gif in Pilot Mountain and to see26.gif you take to the bowed dulcimer so quickly.Smile.gif (I wasn't surprised to see you catch-on so quickly!5.gif )

I also have met Don Pedi, Paul Tantillo, Maurice Solis, ReVonda Crow, Teri Sato, Marge Diamond and Randall McKinnon.6.gif There are some FOTMD members I've listed that I met before there was an FOTMD; I knew of them from Everything Dulcimer and then we met in-person.113.gif

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
12 years ago
85 posts

To start off I met Robin T. and Tom McDonald at the first Noter and Drone Camp out. Wayne A. and Gail at Perkasie. Rob, Kevin M., Patty from VA., Scott Allen at the Wartz 'n All gathering, and this past Noter and Drone Camp Out John Wood, and Pat Boardman. By the way she sold me the dulcimer and is pictured between me and John in our group photo. So ten friends I have met from FOTMD and still counting. Hope to meet more this year.

--
Site Moderator
Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
12 years ago
62 posts
There are a lot of wonderful folks that I know that are on fomd -- but I met them all first somewhere else :)I did meet a total stranger on fb and we ended up loaning him our mountain cabin, then my husband and I stayed with him in his home for 2 weeks in Quimper , France and he stayed with us again thIs year for 2 weeks in Tallahassee, and now he is getting ready to retire to Martinique in a year or two -- and of course, we are invited for an extended stay :) I've also met some great folks on banjohangout, and have stayed with them in their homes and become good friends. :)We are so lucky to meet so many wonderful folks wherever we go and have had the double fortune to remain friends for many years :)Happy Holidays :)
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

My goodness, how could I have neglected to mention meeting Paul Tantillo, Maurice (Mo) Soulis, and Don Pedi at Don's wonderful Tao of Dulcimer Retreat back in May? What a pleasure it was to become acquainted with these fellows!

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
12 years ago
231 posts

Last spring I went to a dulcimer festival/workshop at Shenandoah University and met Ken Longfield and Susan. We had a blast. I met Maddie MacNeil, Ralph Lee Smith, Ann Lough and Rob Brereton. I hope this festival continues. I also had the opportunity to meet Jim and Bev Fawcett when they took vacation to visit Virginia. They are wonderful people. We spent time together touring Front Royal and we took pictures. I was the thorn between two roses, LOL. I was able to make it to the Wartz and All Gathering. I had the best time. I got to meet Rob Lackey, Liz, Scott Allen, Jim and Bev, Kevin Messenger and their families. They truly are the Friends of FOTMD. I got treated to a meal. Thanks Rob!!! We shared music, food and laughs. We had a great time. I'm looking forward to doing this again. I'm so glad I found this web site. Thank you Lisa for putting this all together!!!Smile.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Karen and I have met more FOTMD folks than we can count. Great folks one and all (even Rob Lackey lol), but there are two that I only got to say "hi" and "bye" to that I would love to visit with: Pop Miller and Leonard Griffin (both from Texas). Everyone else we've been able to visit with, go eat, take a class, or SOMETHING, but there was only time for introductions with those guys and I'd love to chat and get to know them a little better. Our FOTMD family is a treasure to us and we wouldn't trade these friendships for anything. Y'all are just some awesome rockin' people! Grin.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Like Rob, I've not met a FOTMD member I didn't like! I'm trying to think of them all. . . and they kind of come in the 'order' in which I met them. Gary Sager, Laura Elder, Butch Ross, Julie Elman, Ken Longfield, Hunter Walker, Kendra Ward, Tish Westman, Bing Futch, Doug Berch, Ken Bloom, Jim Fawcett, Rob Lackey, Sam (Oh, gee, I just think of Sam as Sam and can't recall his last name! )Tom McDonald, John Wood, Barbara (nice lady who sold a dulcimer to Jim F). . . I'm likely missing someone. My world has been made richer for having made the acquaintance of each of the friends of the mountain dulcimer!

PS-Oh, I must be forgetting someone!

updated by @robin-thompson: 08/10/15 06:17:02PM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
422 posts

I sure have! Sam's already mentioned our meeting/hanging out in Charleston last Memorial Day weekend. I had met Robin & Mark Thompson up in Ohio November of last year and March(?) of this year. Very short (like my memory) visits but enjoyable nonetheless. Then at Palestine, TX; there they were: The Keanes (John and Karen before they became celebrities.) We talked and talked. Then the next day had the pleasure of meeting Carrie Barnes. Later came Jim Fawcett, Kevin Messinger, Scott Allen, Patty from Virginia and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out. The first tho', since my coming back to the dulcimer after many a year, was Bing Futch. For one of the top professionals in this land, one of the nicest guys anyone would want to meet and one I'm proud to call "friend and brother." Indeed my 1st blog entry was about the Portage PA Dulcimer Day and meeting him. Ah, Portage, Ken Longfield was there too. Later came Butch Ross at the Purple Fiddle in Thomas, WV.

I look forward to meeting more and more of the wonderful members here! I've not met a FOTMD member I didn't like, to paraphrase Will Rogers.

Rob

Bill Hall
Bill Hall
@bill-hall
12 years ago
21 posts

Wayne, I will be attending the Pocono Dulcimer Festival in Stroudsburg in January. It will not only be my first dulcimer festival but my first time with other players. I look forward to meeting you there as I have enjoyed your posts for the last 9 months that I have been a member.

Bill

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

I met Lei Maier on FOTMD prior to the Evart Funfest last year. Then, we met at the event and hung out and attended workshops together. I even helped her spend some money on a new, hand-crafted Native American Flute. Lei is a super person with such great values and is a delight to be with. I even met her husband and her two beautiful dogs. Thanks FOTMD for helping me meet my new life-long friend.

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

This past summer I was very fortunate to have met Rob Lackey, Robin and Mark Thompson and Hunter Walker at the Vandalia gathering on the grounds of the state capitol in Charleston WV. It was a GREAT day filled with music and other festivities. It was very special to meet these folks in person. All were as cordial and gracious as I had thought they would be. I knew Brenda Joyce Rivers prior to finding FOTMD. She is a dear friend and we have attended the festival at Clifftop together. It was euphoric! I've also met Tish Westman. My what a dynamo she is. Building instruments, workshoping, teaching and best of all, playing several instruments beautifully.

Yep, I'm a lucky fella. There are so many folks here that I'd like to meet. I do hope that Ican attend 'Wartz 'n' All next year.

Thank every one of you 'for th' good times'.

Sam'l

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,248 posts

We all know that Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer is a place where we meet lots of wonderful 'cyber buddies'.

It occurs to me that there must be some nice stories here about members getting together in person...meeting, playing music, and then becoming real life friends as well .

Let's hear some of these stories to bring cheer during our holiday season and brighten the bleak midwinter. How about sharing your tale of your FOTMD friendship 'jumping ship' into the real world?

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/31/23 09:26:09PM