I think I'm In trouble here! Bought yet another dulcimer

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
11 years ago
62 posts

Congrats on your new dulcimer. IMHO--it is very normal to enjoy playing your new dulcimer. Everytime a new dulcimer arrives at my home--it gets lots of playing and attention. :) Fortunately, I don't have an additive personality--but instead, I'm very active in dulcimer, banjo, and guitar rescue--a compassionate and humanitarian callingGrin.gif

mzc

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
11 years ago
242 posts

Enjoy all of it, and juggle the time however it most needs to be at any one time. Whatever gets shorted one time will come out ahead some other time. The babies will someday be grown, and won't require as much of your time as now. And you'll be glad for every minute you spent with them. Just enjoy the ride.

Paul

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,124 posts

Mandy, something that may help is to get a schedule book (if you don't already have one) and physically schedule times for X and Y and Z and A and B on a daily and weekly basis.... Then, of course, stick to the schedule. the secret is to also schedule in time for nothing specific -- sit back and take a breath time.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Hi ya'll. I'm much more calm tonight about it. Of course that's because I've been playing music for the last hour and a half!!!!! Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif

I do try and live the most balanced life I can right now, but it's just hard when I want to be playing more. I know I'm a whiny baby and all, but it is a constant test to try and squeeze in the time I want.

As for giving up things like the business, I don't want to do that. Giving up helping some folks learn in my home, naw don't want to do that either. It's totally not about the money either, believe it or not. It's because I now have people who are depending on me and I don't want to let them down. Plus it's fun watching that spark in their eyes as something clicks and the sheer joy of playing music.

I'm learning everyday to prioritize everything I do at home. If it's supper or something I'll try and get the dishes done while I'm cooking or I'll put them away and try and take out the trash and stuff like that all together. That way when my daughter goes to bed most things are already done so I can go watch TV (BLAH) or go play music. Some nights I'm really lazy and just sit there like a zombie watching TV, but most nights I can sneak up and play for an hour or so before bed. The problem is that I've come from being able to play for hours a day anytime I want to now having to squeeze it in.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,124 posts

Tanya - welcome to our little corner of musical paradise. I'll give you a short answer here, and suggest that you start a new separate discussion in the Beginner Group rather than side tracking Mandy's discussion. Tht way too mor epeople will see your questions and respond to them.

The first thing I suggest is that you read the article I wrote called I Just Got A Dulcimer Now What?? It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terminology, plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of our favorite instrument.

The article is here: http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/profiles/blogs/i-just-got-a-dulcimer-now-what

Things to understand... With a given set of strings (diameters) you can only tune the dulcimer up or down a couple of keynotes before things get too tight or too sloppy. Generally speaking, you can only play in one Key at a time. To change keys you must re-tune the dulcimer. Most dulcimers are tuned to the key of D and with the 'normal' string set can tune down to C or maybe B, and up to E and maybe F. Any other keys require different strings. Under most circumstances the Keynote of the dulcimer is defined by the note to which the bass string is tuned. That's the farthest string from you, The middle and melody string(s) are tuned to higher pitches relative to that keynote -- for example DAA, CGG, DAd, CGc. For each keynote the multi-finger chords will be different.

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Never heard anything bad about a Folkcraft dulcimer. Hope to hear yours soon.(Hope you sing too!)

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Sounds GREAT Mandy~

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
12 years ago
86 posts

Careful there Mandy, the other instruments may get a little jealous and wont come out and play anymore. It's great to see someone enjoying music this much.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts
Ha Ha Patty! I haven't even snapped the first one yet, if you can believe that. I'm too busy touching it and playing it for that. I'll get some up in a few days hopefully.
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
12 years ago
231 posts

When are you going to post a picture or are you going to keep us in suspense?Grin.gif

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts
My dulcimer is a Folkcaft Western Red Cedar top, Black Walnut sides and back, maple fingerboard with wenge fretboard, wenge nut, bridge, and end cap thingy. It's got a beautiful sound, a scroll head, and the sound is.... SEE I'm starting to repeat myself even.

I'm so in Lust with it I'm telling you - I would probably French kiss it if there was a way.
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

First of all, ha ha made ya look! No seriously though I am having some issues.I've heard people talking about having lulls in music and that I would have phases where I would eventually go for long stretches without playing music. Funny thing is that I'veNot had that happen yet at all. Actually it's more the opposite. My desire to play has only gotten stronger over the years. Now I've done the insane thing of playing a bunch of different instruments to top it off. It's totally fun, don't get me wrong, dut dang I feel like I have a crack addiction or something.So now that I'm working again full time, trying to take care of my 6 year old, my husband, be in a band, run a minuscule business, and still teach a couple of people at home, YIKES I am in way over my head here. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, but my crack addiction is suffering and it's actually painful!My wonderful husband is helping me, so that relieves some things, but now I have a beautiful new dulcimer!!!!! I'm physically in pain here people!! Can u feel me?I play it every second I get and MAN it is AWESOME. I'm playing TONS better just in the 5 glorious days I've had my hands on it.So here goes - Hi I'm Mandy and I am an addict. HELP. Insert goofy sad faces here.....

updated by @mandy: 08/02/22 12:25:13AM