Capritaurus -- seeking info on recent purchase

Howard Rugg
Howard Rugg
@howard-rugg
11 years ago
9 posts

The plywood dulcimers were made as a group effort.

Mark Richardson said:

Looks nice.. I have something similar and still trying to find out its maker... It came with Capritarus paper work... a actual manual and diagram and how to tune, from Capritarus.... NO label inside. I figured it around 73 or earlier...Neil Hellman took a look and couldn't tell its maker, as its not of the Model D ( I have an 83 Walnut Model D, and owned several Model D's in the early 70's).

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
11 years ago
422 posts

Mike, you do have a piece of history there and a fine instrument as well. I have one of the earliest ones with pegs (pics on my page) and love it's tone (though I don't play it as much as I should.) Enjoy!

Rob

Howard Rugg
Howard Rugg
@howard-rugg
11 years ago
9 posts

Its a Capritaurus walnut with spruce top made prior to "folk Roots". Looks great!

Howard

Mike Anderson said:

Dusty Turtle said:

Mike, perhaps you already know the basic story of Capritaurus. But if not, Howard Rugg tells us in his own words:

Thanks Dusty I was fortunate enough to be able to watch and enjoy those. Funny enough I was living in the Village on Bleeker street in the 60s and I think some of those were my twins on the west coast.

Howard Rugg
Howard Rugg
@howard-rugg
11 years ago
9 posts

Hello Mike

The picture above looks like it might be made from a kit, its not exactly shaped like an origional Capritaurus. Do you have a picture of your dulcimer? The earlier 70ies Capritaurus were not marked with model and serial no. on the label. The real early had a large scroll with violin pegs. We have not figured out when we first started using guitar machine tuners yet.

Howard

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Mike, perhaps you already know the basic story of Capritaurus. But if not, Howard Rugg tells us in his own words:

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Mike Andersonposted the following:

I just purchased a Capritaurus and wonder if there is a way to date it? The label has no serial numbers or signatures that I can see. I have seen several pictures and it appears to be a generic with heart-shaped soundholes and not custom. This is what mine look like but the picture is from Wikipedia:

401_forums.jpg?width=500

Mike then added: I saw one of Howard's posts and he was referring to actual serial numbers. It appears to be a Model D if applicable to the Folk Roots name. I will get a flash light and do a closer exam.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/17/19 05:30:42PM