John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry

TERI WEST
TERI WEST
@teri-west
15 years ago
25 posts
This piqued my interest because one of my ancestors was thought to be a part of John Brown's raiders. My mom has a book that I need to read to get more information. Thanks, Teri
razyn
@razyn
15 years ago
40 posts
Jill Jalbert said:Hey are you another banjo player?Assuming you meant me -- I have had a banjo (or several) since about 1963-64, but never got especially good at playing them. Basically, I played guitar, and collected other old folk instruments (not guitars). I learned to play something on all of them -- both sorts of dulcimer, fretless banjo, mandolin, fiddle, balalaika, Jew's harp -- just whatever turned up. I sometimes participate in the "Minstrel Banjo" world, because those guys are interested in the earlier, historical instruments -- they learn the tunes from early method books (pre-1865 ones, because a lot of them are CW reenactors) and generally strive for an authentic 19th century sound. Which is very different from modern banjo styles, played on modern instruments.Dick
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
15 years ago
109 posts
Thanks for posting this Razyn.. when I hear of John Brown's raid at Harper's Ferry... I always think of the interesting fact of who the 2 main union officers involved in capturing John Brown were. A Colonel Lee and a Sergent Stuart.... later to be both major Generals in the Confederacy... General Robert E. Lee and General Jeb Stuart...
razyn
@razyn
15 years ago
40 posts
The Battle Hymn of the Republic was written to fit the tune of (some would say, partly inspired by) the more or less comic song "John Brown's body;" which in turn was based upon the camp-meeting hymn "Say, brothers, will you meet me, On Canaan's happy shore;" which was also newly in print around the time of John Brown's raid, i.e. 150 years ago. (Actually, I think that hymn was published in 1858, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details w/o looking it up.)Dick
folkfan
@folkfan
15 years ago
357 posts
The Civil War or the War Between the States and all that led up to it are definitely watershed events in our history which should be recognized. Many horrible things happened during that time and they were recorded in the music from the period. We need to remember the time and honor the people that lived through it and what better way than to sing and play the music they wrote, in order to let them speak again.
razyn
@razyn
15 years ago
40 posts
... was 150 years ago today (well, tonight), if anyone cares.I mentioned this yesterday on the (Ning) Minstrel Banjo forum, and the only responders so far are a couple of yahoos who think I'm trying to honor the memory of a terrorist. I'm not, OK? It was a watershed event, it happened 150 years ago, and I'm pointing that out. So, dress up and do your 1859 thing. Starting in just a couple of years, it will be the 150th anniversary of some Civil War event, most all the time -- for four years. Think of the gig possibilities.Dick
updated by @razyn: 01/13/19 05:09:18PM