Mountain Dulcimer Strings

Dewey Parker
Dewey Parker
@dewey-parker
10 years ago
9 posts

Hey, Dana! You're welcome! Have you tried them, yet? If so, what do you think?

Dana R. McCall said:

Hey Dewey thanks for the info on the Elixir wrapped strings.

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

Thanks for all the info everyone. Have my first replacement strings coming from Prussia Valley.

The Elixir wrapped strings sound intriguing Dewey.

Now I just have to spend more time playing and less time on this forum! Grin.gif

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
11 years ago
87 posts

Ken, thank you for reminding me of that site - I had ordered from them years ago and found them fast and reliable.

Ken Hulme said:

A good online source for strings, individually or in sets, brand name or inexpensive generic is www.juststrings.com . There is little or no difference between a brand name string and a generic, as the same handful of wire-drawing companies make all of them as spools of wire which are cut, ended and packaged by a lot of companies.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

Hey Dewey thanks for the info on the Elixir wrapped strings.

Dewey Parker
Dewey Parker
@dewey-parker
11 years ago
9 posts

Welcome to the forum, and the world of dulcimers, Garland. I personally use .024, .016, and .012. on my Gallier A-frame. I have tried several different sizes and combinations, but keep coming back to these 3 sizes for my A-frame. I think my McSpadden has the same sizes as yours.

By the way, if you get tired of the scratching noise when you slide your finger on the wrapped base string (you'll really notice it on recordings), I find that the Elixir brand wrapped strings are virtually silent. They are micro-coated with something to fill in the cracks between the wraps, and also make the string slicker. They cost a little more but they last a good deal longer than the common brands as well.

Dewey

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,123 posts

A good online source for strings, individually or in sets, brand name or inexpensive generic is www.juststrings.com . There is little or no difference between a brand name string and a generic, as the same handful of wire-drawing companies make all of them as spools of wire which are cut, ended and packaged by a lot of companies.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
11 years ago
258 posts

One careful squeeze with a small pair of well positioned pliers is all it takes ! The resulting 'loop' may be a tad smaller than expected tho ?

JohnH James Phillips said:

As well, they can pop the ball out of the guitar strings as well. I don't know about your local music shop, but I know CV Lloydd does that for free, at least for me.

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
11 years ago
87 posts

As well, they can pop the ball out of the guitar strings as well. I don't know about your local music shop, but I know CV Lloydd does that for free, at least for me.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,727 posts

Garland, regardless of what gauge strings you use, please note Dana's original post. There is no difference between dulcimer strings and guitar strings. You can just go into any local music store and ask for acoustic guitar strings. There is no need to buy complete sets and no need to buy anything specifically labeled "dulcimer strings."

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

Thanks everyone,

I did find strings at Prussia Valley Dulcimers. Their shopping cart was nicely laid out and let me specify whether I wanted ball or loop ends. I ordered two more of each string I needed.

Good point about trying different guages, Garey. I was really just going with what the maker specified for now, As I get braver, I may try other ones. For now, I just wanted backup strings in case one broke.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

You can by individual strings. They are guitar strings. Just order those sizes in the ball end. Most music stores carry single strings.

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

My first mountain dulcimer just arrived. I would like to have a backup set of strings so that if one breaks, I don't have to stop playing.

The maker, Tom Fellenbaum strung it with .012, .012, .016, .026 ball-end bronze wound strings. His instructions say I can vary them by up to .002 without affecting the sound or playability.

I had a look online for strings, but am having difficulty finding a set that comes close to this. Can someone point me in the right direction to find a source?

Thanks,

updated by @garland-coulson: 01/14/16 03:31:20AM