Bridge height nugget found in this forum

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,124 posts

Better late than never, Frank! At 68 you're just at the right age to start learning to play!

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
11 years ago
242 posts

Sounds like you're on your way! Have fun, and post any questions you come up with. Someone here will be able to answer.

Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
11 years ago
32 posts

My dulcimer is one I built from a kit over 40 years ago. I had it all done except for the wood finish and strings. Well life got in the way somewhere alone the line and finally last year I ordered strings and a tuner for it. This August (why hurry) I finished the wood with a satin urethane, strung it and tuned it. I added learning to play it to my bucket list and at 68 years decided it was time to get started. I noticed that the higher frets were really hard to get the strings to contact. After searching these forums I found that the height at the nut end was OK but the bridge was over 5/16 inch. So I trimmed it down some and it is much easier to make contact with the frets now. The bridge was glued in so I used a band saw to trim it. I can't remember what company make the kits but it about 1970 -72 time frame. Next improvement may be geared pegs - the friction one are hard to fine adjust. I make a forked stick to help with the fine adjustments. - take care folks

updated by @frank-ross: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM