What to call your dulcimer collection?

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
5 months ago
45 posts

Hi all.  I was just having fun re-reading this thread...I think I call mine the herd, though perhaps I should say the flock, because I tend to give them bird names...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 months ago
1,729 posts

Hi @lilley-pad, and welcome to FOTMD.  My main, go-to dulcimer is a McCafferty.  (It's an older one with a standard piezo pickup but without the humbucker and MIDI interface he uses on the new Seifert model.)  I love it.  Great sustain. Great volume.  Big round tone. The fingerboard is very responsive to your left hand.  When I first got it a few years ago, I found the strings to be too far apart for comfortable flatpicking and had to make some custom adjustments, but Terry now uses a special bridge that allows you to adjust the distance between the strings.

However, if you want to continue this conversation, perhaps you could start a new discussion on McCafferty dulcimers in the Discuss Specific Features, Luthiers and Instruments Forum .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
6 months ago
11 posts

Don't know if this is the right forum site.  But here goes first Howdy all.  Any one have experience with a McCafferty dulcimer I know that they're beautiful and I like his adjustable nut design very innovative. But what about tone play ability sound?

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 months ago
1,089 posts

What fun to revive this thread. I remember many years ago going to Bryan Bowers concert and he walked on stage with a stack of autoharps all tuned for different kep=ys and songs. He spread them out behind him on the stage in those triangular shape guitar stands. He turned to the audience and asked what you call a group of autoharps like this and then answered his own question: an embarrassment of autoharps. I've never been embarrassed by all my dulcimers.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Sea Strings
Sea Strings
@sea-strings
8 months ago
6 posts

Cindy Stammich:

I have said for many years that I can be having a bad day, and a little time with one of my dulcimers just makes it better!

A meditation of dulcimers? A therapy of dulcimers? rofl

updated by @sea-strings: 09/12/23 11:19:27AM
Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 months ago
68 posts

Lorilee - I like that a lot!  I have said for many years that I can be having a bad day, and a little time with one of my dulcimers just makes it better!

Stable.  Horses.  All good 😀

Lorilee
Lorilee
@lorilee
10 months ago
16 posts

My stable. They help keep me "stable," Also I'll use a horse reference whenever I can!

Susie
Susie
@susie
10 months ago
500 posts

Ken Hulme:

Mine!  Mine!  That's Mine.  That too!  Mine. Mine!

I was going to say the same thing, Ken...

Mine, mine, all mine!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
2,126 posts

Mine!  Mine!  That's Mine.  That too!  Mine. Mine!

MINE MINE.jpg
MINE MINE.jpg  •  56KB

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
10 months ago
247 posts

Whenever I clean up, the couch becomes the temporary home of what I affectionately refer to as "the hoarde" as they are a horde I've hoarded. haha

updated by @nate: 06/24/23 05:36:54AM
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
11 years ago
258 posts

An 'Indulgence' of dulcimers ?

JohnH

Ken Backer
Ken Backer
@ken-backer
11 years ago
31 posts

Hi All

ah... how about Onetoomany...

I just havea singleplain three string dulcimer with wooden tuning pegs.. not much of a collection!

Cheers Ken

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,089 posts

I have around a dozen dulcimers. I just call them "my" dulcimers.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

folkfan
@folkfan
11 years ago
357 posts

I call them my babies.

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
11 years ago
242 posts

I call them "the big one, and the little one." But daughter Marianne calls the big one "Chupacabra." Those with a large herd might need a term for the group, but I guess a single word could stand for a variable number. 30 cattle are a herd, 100 cattle are still a herd. 12 would be a dozen, 13 a luthiers dozen. 20 would be a score. Four Score would probably upset Mrs. Wanda, but two seems to be OK with her.

Marcia Price
Marcia Price
@marcia-price
11 years ago
2 posts

I just call them my other children :)

Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
11 years ago
45 posts

a mode of dulcimers?

Linda
Linda
@linda
11 years ago
11 posts

A string of dulcimers?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
11 years ago
1,429 posts
I got a passel of 'em! :)
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,729 posts

A chorus of dulcimers?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
11 years ago
420 posts

Never heard of a proper name for the bunch of dulcimers. So may I suggest a "strum" of dulcimers.

Rob

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
11 years ago
68 posts
Regarding how many....what to call your collection?So I have a....A litter of dulcimers?A herd of dulcimers?A flock of dulcimers?A gaggle of dulcimers?A collection of dulcimers?A family of dulcimers?Just what is the proper name here???
updated by @cindy-stammich: 07/31/23 09:29:15PM