1930s Regal Tenor Guitar

slowpicker1950
@slowpicker1950
5 years ago
1 posts

I have a 1930's Kay tenor banjo.  I'll bet the same tuning would work on it! this would be a better alternative than the seagull stick dulcimer i tried and did not like.

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
11 years ago
14 posts

Lovely playing, Robin. And good news about the new CD. Can't wait to hear it.

Rick Kennedy
Rick Kennedy
@rick-kennedy
11 years ago
17 posts

Very enjoyable, RobinSmile.gif --kind of smooth and mellow...

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
11 years ago
239 posts

Thanks Bobby Smile.gif

I think that the shape of the body makes the guitar look bigger than it is. It only has a 23" scale and narrow deep C neck but it looks like a jumbo guitar! The body is quite compact and smaller than many tenor guitars I've seen. I've not seen another one this shape though ?

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
11 years ago
239 posts

Thank you all for your comments Smile.gif

I feel very lucky that this tenor guitar found its way to me as I wasn't looking for one. I was given the instrument in a trade for one of my resonator guitars - in fact I was given this tenor guitar, a Frank Profitt and an Ellis Wolf mountain banjos and an 1890s Essex banjo. All are wonderful instruments in their own ways. And, Helen, I'm going to see if I can use them all on the CD project. It is taking some time to put it all together but I'm working on it little by little when time allows.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Wow, that tenor guitulcimer sounds great, Robin. It has a really nice, warm sound. And your playing is just precious. You display such patience with that slow rolling melody. Nice work!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
11 years ago
239 posts

471_forums.jpg

I got this beautiful 1930s Regal tenor guitar in a trade a couple of weeks ago. They are usually tuned in climbing 5ths like a mandolin but starting with a C. But I thought I'd tune it instead to DAda and just play melody over drones on it Smile.gif So there you go - rather than trying to play a contemporary dulcimer like a contemporary guitar. I'm trying to play and old guitar like an old dulcimer Grin.gif I'msort ofgetting the hang of playing the instrument with just one finger!!! I may get as far as two finger playing some time 106.gif

updated by @robin-clark: 08/01/23 07:53:41PM