First Build in Years....

Stan Pope
@stan-pope
last year
2 posts

Lexie - I like the sound a lot, I used the same dimensions as my other string instruments, 2mm for the sides, 3mm for the top, 2.8mm for the back. I used lining top and back. I hollowed  out the underside of the fretboard, (I remembered that from way back when) I used French polish to finish.

Stan

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
last year
348 posts

Very beautiful build Stan. I am glad you got back to building again. Do you like it's sound? Good luck at the craft show.

Stan Pope
@stan-pope
last year
2 posts

Hi - This is my first build in years also, Started with dulcimers 25 years ago, and finally got round to making another, my wife is is busy learning some tunes, so she can demonstrate at the craft markets we attend, I would love to have a play but I am a total lefty. so I will have to stick with my Walkaround Dulcimer for now. - Stan

md_1.jpg
md_1.jpg  •  287KB

md_2.jpg
md_2.jpg  •  338KB

md_3.jpg
md_3.jpg  •  221KB

md_4.jpg
md_4.jpg  •  682KB

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
last year
348 posts

Glad you got ur done Ken, it is a beautiy, love the shape and bet it is that silvery sound.

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
last year
352 posts

That's a real beauty Ken - I bet it is going to sing!!!!  I love the light build, and such a classic design.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
last year
1,397 posts

It has quite a voice.  The three feet raise it above a playing table, and let both the top and back ring out.  The tone is high and silvery, just like I like 'em.  I'll see about making a recording.

Sheryl -- yes I used tung oil on everything.  I bought the Formby's brand.

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
last year
333 posts

Very nice, Ken. Can't wait to hear it. Did you use tung oil on all of the parts?

Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
last year
121 posts

Nice Ken, will be interesting to see how the fret board works out.

Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,701 posts

Sweeeeet.   smile

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dan
@dan
last year
68 posts

I love that shape, can't wait to hear it!

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
492 posts

Hey Ken, it looks just as good as it did over at ED! I'm impressed. As I said over there, you did a fine job.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Steven Berger
@steven-berger
last year
63 posts

I like the look of the wormy chestnut! So, how does it sound?

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
last year
859 posts

That looks really nice, Ken. And unique, too.  I see what you mean about the arches in the fretboard matching the fret pattern.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
last year
1,397 posts

Awhile back I got the urge to build a dulcimer -- first time in years.  I wanted something different, and settled on this Coffin shape similar to some of the Ozark or Indian Walking Sticks I've seen.

Dan Cox made the JI fretboard for me -- 26+" VSL, in a way I've wanted to see done for years.  Notice that the arches match the spacing of the staple frets -- wide, wide, narrow, wide, wide narrow, etc., with the 'feet' of the arches centered on the frets for maximum energy transfer.  Where the spaces get too small, he's hollowed the fretboard all the way to the back, to reduce weight.  Excellent job, my friend.

Specs: 

Length = 32", Width = 5", Depth of side = 1-1/2", Height of Fretboard = 1", Mass = 20 oz., VSL = 26-1/8, Tuning = Ddd,

Woods:  Head and Tail = 150 year old Southern Yellow Pine, Top & Back = Wormy Chestnut, Sides = Red Cedar, Fretboard = Walnut, Nut and Bridge = Snakewood, finished with 6 coats of Tung Oil.

P1020306.JPG.jpg
P1020306.JPG.jpg  •  606KB

P1020308.JPG.jpg
P1020308.JPG.jpg  •  335KB

P1020307.JPG.jpg
P1020307.JPG.jpg  •  313KB

P1020303.JPG.jpg
P1020303.JPG.jpg  •  232KB