Donald MacPherson's Lament - Tab - Slow Air

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
8 years ago
51 posts

Thanks for the PDF Rob. Will check it out. I was a featured extra in a film last year called "Dirt Road to Lafayette". It was filmed in Lafayette, LA and they played this song throughout most of the scenes. Actually the song played was "MacPherson's Lament".  The film should be out soon I hope. It was directed by a Scotish man and most of the main actors were from Scotland. One of them had a staring roll in "Braveheart" a few years ago with Mel Gibson.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

You're welcome, Bob.  I was asked about this tune today so I moved it up.  Glad you're going to try to play it.  It's  a nice little tune.

Bob
Bob
@bob
8 years ago
86 posts

Thanks! I know McPherson's Lament. I will look at this one as well. I cant read music (yet), so thanks for the numbers as well as the dots!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Joe Besse: here's a pef of the whole thing

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Just updated the pdf of the tab.  Thank you John P for pointing out the error!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Thanks, John P, for the history.  I forgot about Jamie MacPherson's song going to the gallows.  This one is different.  I don't know if Skinner was the author or collector of the tunes he published.  At this late date we may never know.  Yes, you're right about the 3rd measure, 1st note; should definately be a 5.  I'll put up a correction later today.

john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

Hi Rob,

Was expecting something quite different from the tune you posted.

One of the more well known of the Scottish ballads is variously called : MacPherson's Lament / MacPherson's Farewell / MacPherson's Rant.

This tells the story of Jamie MacPherson's trecherous hanging and includes the famous episode where he breaks his fiddle across a stone so no other could play it. His brother was called Donald, but no idea if this is the same.

AFAIK Donald MacPherson's Lament was written later and is not related to your usuall McPherson's Lament.

An interesting little tune nonetheless thumbsup

p.s. check your fret for the 1st note of the 3rd bar - s/b 5 ?

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Thanks Rob!!! I'll search for the other one.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Thanks, Jim, I appreciate it. 

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

Thanks for them both Rob. Didn't comment on the first one you posted, but I'll comment here  for them both.clap  

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 11/12/15 06:29:15PM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Here's another shorty I've been working on for a little while.  Donald MacPherson's Lament is a Scottish Slow Air for the pipes.  The tab is in DAA, played from 0 to 7.  I'm hoping to add a DAd version in the higher octave.  Enjoy.  There may be more coming in book form if I can keep up this pace  LOL

updated by @rob-n-lackey: 11/17/15 08:07:34PM