Campfire songs?

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I think the "Walker Texas Ranger" theme song would be perfect around a campfire...  :P

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Thank you!  ~now to learn how to read chords~  :/

Doug Jones
Doug Jones
@doug-jones
8 years ago
6 posts

The latest book I have is the LyriChord book (blue-green cover). I have an older Tune book that I got in the 90s (I believe) (Pink Cover).  I also have a couple of the older Lyrichord books from the 70s and 80s (brown cover).  When I purchased my most recent one a couple of years ago, I opted for just the Lyrichord book.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Which of the books do you have, Ken and Doug?  LyriChord or Tune Book? 

Doug Jones
Doug Jones
@doug-jones
8 years ago
6 posts

Ken Longfield:

Sandi, I don't know if you'd be interested but the songbook we use at church camp is this one: http://songsandcreations.com . It is certainly worth the price. I've used it for years.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

I've been using Yohann Anderson's book for over 30 years with different sing-alongs. I can second a recommendation for that!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

This past weekend was our church retreat, and I did get to play for vespers around the campfire.  I played "Awake Harp and Lyre" based on Psalm 108 from Margaret Wright TAB.  A youngun' became my personal music stand, and we positioned flashlights to shine on the music.  The rest of my playing was around camp and campfire during the day, so no issues!  LOVE my little Wren, "Teagan", from Feather Dulcimer!!!!  ~she was quite the hit and is inspiring others to love the md~  

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

GREAT list!!!  I went through my 12-Tune songbooks and picked out a few more.  I am excited and practicing!  :)

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

Barges, A Ram Sam Sam, Tell Me Why, Please Play for Me, Green Grow the Rushes O, Rattlin' Bog, Streets of Laredo, Molly Malone, Sing Your Way Home, Give Me Oil in My Lamp (aka Give Me Gas for My Ford), The Night Will Never Stay, I See the Moon and the Moon Sees Me, Sinner Man, and 'most anything made popular by Peter, Paul, and Mary!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 08/16/16 12:19:08AM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

That looks amazing, Ken!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

Sandi, I don't know if you'd be interested but the songbook we use at church camp is this one: http://songsandcreations.com . It is certainly worth the price. I've used it for years.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Kum By Ya, of course.  Will the Circle be Unbroken, Amazing Grace, Simple Gifts, Farther Along, I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing, are all good "gathering" songs. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

So I have learned that one, Ken!  I'm also practicing up some hymns and folk songs.  :)

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

KEN!  HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

LOL~will hafta look that one up....

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

The Five Constipated Men of the Bible!  I learned it in church camp decades ago, then relearned it from the Sweetwater album Sing No Evil.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I am really looking forward to our church retreat the end of September, and I'd love to start practicin' some fun or silly or spiritual campfire songs!  Know any good ones?  TIA!

updated by @hugssandi: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM