2003 Performance model Kurt Simerman dulcimer for sale

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 weeks ago
8 posts

A stringed instrument repair person (and dulcimer player himself) inspected the Simerman, ever so lightly filed a fret at the bass string, and declared that I can sell the instrument in good conscience: it is in great shape, sounds good.

For those who were interested, I am sorry for the long delay. But I really wanted to have a pro look at it to make sure it was the fine instrument I knew it to be before I would sell it to anyone, and, living far from just about everything, it took a while to get around to getting it looked at, as I didn't want to send the dulcimer away if it wasn't necessary.

It is available now again for anyone interested.

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

Billy T:

Is something wrong with the  Dulcimer? 

Someone said they could hear a buzz on two frets (11, 12) on the bass string, and I am going to check it out with someone who knows more about these things than I. Honestly, sometimes I am sure I hear it and sometimes can't find any difference at all. I suppose it could have something to do with the strings being original from almost 20 years ago. But I want to be fully clear if possible on these details for any buyer. In the meantime, I am far from any pro to look at it and am not sure it is worth sending it away just for that. I have a video of the base string being plucked on those (and surrounding) frets, trying to show the buzz. If anyone wants to see that just send me your email address and I can send you via MailBigFile or WeTransfer.

Billy T
Billy T
@billy-t
2 months ago
3 posts

Is something wrong with the  Dulcimer? 

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

This is "on hold" while I get something checked out.... Sorry for the delay. I will update soon as I can! I haven't lost track of those of you who have contacted me.

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

Strumelia:

I hope everyone has sorted out how to get in touch with each other now? 

I think so!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
2,129 posts

I hope everyone has sorted out how to get in touch with each other now? 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

Sorry, I am still learning about how to find messages, will reply soon as I can to direct messages!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
2,129 posts

Billy, go to the drop down menu under your name link, and click on "private messages". That takes you to your Inbox here. Also, you should have received an emailed notification telling you that you have received a Private Message... with a link to go look at it in your Fotmd Inbox.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Billy T
Billy T
@billy-t
2 months ago
3 posts

How ? 

glacier
@glacier
2 months ago
2 posts

Thomas- I've sent you a direct message. :)

updated by @glacier: 12/18/22 07:28:34AM
Billy T
Billy T
@billy-t
2 months ago
3 posts

Trying to get in touch with you 

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

Silverstrings:

I passed this information on to a large group where I am a member. I bet you will sell this in no time. It is a beauty.

Thank you so much!

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
2 months ago
55 posts

I passed this information on to a large group where I am a member. I bet you will sell this in no time. It is a beauty.

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

Silverstrings:

Can you tell me the VSL length from bridge to nut?

Sure! It measures 25-3/4" bridge to nut. I hope that's the length you are looking for. :-)

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
2 months ago
55 posts

Can you tell me the VSL length from bridge to nut?

Thomas Paquette
Thomas Paquette
@thomas-paquette
2 months ago
8 posts

Kurt Simerman custom-made Performance Dulcimer, 2003
$1100 firm including shipping to domestic US.

It has been lovingly cared for, is in mint condition, and features the higher options that Kurt offered (except for the double back) when I had him build it in 2003. Its sound has great depth and is clear and loud as you would expect from his performance dulcimers.

I am disappointed that it’s been very rarely played and has sat in its case for most of its life. I am not really a musician, but a lover of beautifully crafted instruments. In fact all the strings are still original, it was so lightly played.

I know Simerman dulcimers of comparable construction sell for more than twice this, but I am only interested in giving the instrument an appreciative home, only recouping about what I paid (with inflation).

I will also include the hand-sewn case my wife made for it.

Here are details:

Performance Dulcimer, 2003, signed by Kurt Simerman on label inside body

38-7/8 inches, not including the strap connector
2.5” depth
Hourglass shape
Flame design
Walnut back and sides / Mahogany soundboard
Scalloped fretboard
Ebony overlay
Dot markers at 3-7-10
Classic scroll
Planetary tuners