Wanted: Case for a Galax Mountain Dulcimer

Bob Stephens
Bob Stephens
@bob-stephens
last year
20 posts

I use a case made for a bow for my courting dulcimer.  It doesn't have as much padding as the better dulcimer cases, but with care works well.  They are available for under $50.

updated by @bob-stephens: 04/29/23 12:07:05AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
last year
500 posts

Another suggestion  is to contact Richard Ash who owns Folkcraft. They do all their cases in their shop and Richard is always up for a challenge and is very accommodating. He welcomes custom orders (new ideas) on his dulcimers and I'm sure he'd have no problem doing a case that would fit your Galax dulcimer. His cases are well padded and very nicely done. If you had him do an envelope style case, it would be more streamlined from what you have. I'd give him a call. 

https://www.folkcraft.com/pages/contact-us

updated by @susie: 01/23/23 08:30:07AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,727 posts

Kimberly, I would also suggest checking with the Dulcimer Bag Lady. I have a very large dulcimer by Rick Probst that has a custom hardshell case, but I was told the single bag made by the Dulcimer Bag Lady is the only bag out there that would fit it.  If not, as @Susie says, maybe they can make a custom bag for you.  Since they handmake all their stuff, it is possible they can accommodate you.

Why do you need the case?  One option might be rifle cases with customizable foam, like this one at Amazon. Basically the foam is pre-cut into hundreds of little cubes, and you just remove the cubes to fit your gun (or dulcimer) snugly inside. The only drawback is that you will never be able to check your dulcimer as luggage when flying, since TSA obviously does not want people transporting their guns around.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
last year
207 posts

Folk Craft will make a custom bag for you.  I would also check with Carl Gotzmer at June Apple Dulcimers since they have courting dulcimers for sale with gig bags. (Carl is an amazingly resourceful person and perhaps could direct you to someone.. look him up by name, works for the Navy....educated way above my pay grade)  They might have a bag that they would let you buy.  I checked the size of their courting dulcimer and it would require a big that should work for you.  All the ones I checked on for you are pricey but unless you can find a cabinet maker to build you one out of plywood I don't know what options you have.  A plywood one would be quite inexpensive to make and you could line it with quilted material and cover it with material from a fabric place.  Just an idea.

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
last year
15 posts

Kimberly,

I have designed and now build a custom dulcimers that I call the "Peardrop" {see attached image).  It is 11 inches wide.  I hunted all over for a case that would work for this instrument.  I buy the TKL brand Model 4640 soft case.  This is actually a banjo bag.  Inside measurements 4 1/2 inches deep   12 inches wide      39 inches long.

This is not a thick, heavy case but is fine for transporting to jams,etc.  Padding is maybe 3/4 inch thick.  I have bought a lot of these cases for including with my instrument orders.

James Phillips

Friends-Logo6.jpg
Friends-Logo6.jpg  •  54KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
last year
500 posts

Just a thought, have you called Toni and Steve Binkley (the daughter and SIL running the Dulcimer Bag Lady business) and asked if they could do something  custom for you, more streamlined?

Kimberly Burnette-Dean
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
@kimberly-burnette-dean
last year
13 posts

thank you for checking!

Susie
Susie
@susie
last year
500 posts

Kimberly Burnette-Dean:

The dulcimer is 39” in length, 11” wide, and 4.5” deep.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, the one I had in mind won't work for you. Hopefully, you'll get some good suggestions still. 

updated by @susie: 01/22/23 01:11:06PM
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
@kimberly-burnette-dean
last year
13 posts

Strumelia,

Thank you! I did include the fretboard height, but I did not include the bridge, so I would want the case to be around 4.75” in depth. 

Kimberly

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,252 posts

Make sure to include the height of the dulcimer's fingerboard & bridge when calculating how 'deep' the case needs to be overall. You do not want the lid to be mashing down on the bridge when the case is closed. 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
@kimberly-burnette-dean
last year
13 posts

The dulcimer is 39” in length, 11” wide, and 4.5” deep.

Susie
Susie
@susie
last year
500 posts

What is the width and length of your dulcimer? That may help. I have one in mind, but not knowing the dimensions, I'm not going to recommend it unless I know it would work.

updated by @susie: 01/22/23 09:02:52AM
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
Kimberly Burnette-Dean
@kimberly-burnette-dean
last year
13 posts

Greetings!

I am in need of a case for my Galax mountain dulcimer. I currently have one of the double bags from the Dulcimer Bag Lady, but I would really like to have a single and more streamlined case. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kimberly