help me name that fiddle tune -- please!

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
9 years ago
28 posts

TunePal......yahoo, fantastic...I'm in, gotta get it.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

I knew Rob would knowSmile.gif

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
9 years ago
94 posts

Hi Dusty. Yes, it does work. I was pretty skeptical also. Maybe I'll throw up a little demo so you can see. It's not like the pop music ones that tell you the artist/song/album and where to buy it; this one takes you to the musical notation and can play back that notation. I've tried playing a number of tunes for it to try to decipher and it does a very good job. It works best if you just give it a single-line melody only.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks, Brian. I had heard of that app or another just like it but I assumed incorrectly that it was for pop music and would not be helpful for traditional music. However, I just checked it out on my Android phone (where it costs $4.63, by the way) and it states that it is specifically for "traditional Irish, Scots, Welsh, and Breton music." It sounds pretty cool. Does it actually work? There are so many common phrases in these old tunes and so many variations of individual tunes, I am a bit skeptical.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
9 years ago
94 posts

Hi all! I just wanted to mention that you can use TunePal for exactly these kinds of situations. This is a free online service you can access, or you can spend a few dollars and get the app for iDevices and Android. It does a number of things, but one of the coolest is that you play what you know of a tune and the app will then return a list of tune possibilities and percentage confidence levels. You can click on a result and get the music for the tune, and the app can play the tune back for you from that music to make sure it's what you wanted. You can also search tunes by keyword, tag tunes to your person tunebook and more.

I realize I sound like a commercial, so let me state that I have no association with the App or its author; I'm just a very satisfied user who thought others might also like the app. I certainly think it's worth the few bucks being charged for it. :)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Well check out the big brain on Rob!77.gif 77.gif 77.gif

That's it! I used to play that one on the mandolin about 20 years ago, which is why it was in my head.

Thanks so much!

Thanks also to Bob. I had worked through some of the hornpipes on the slips and snips page, and Ricketts was coming up, so I would have found it eventually.

Rob N Lackey said:

It's Rickett's Hornpipe

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
You nailed it Rob....
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

It's Rickett's Hornpipe

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks, Patty. A few notes in the A part do resemble Turkey. And yeah, Rob might now. I also think Randy Adams and Mark Gilston could probably ID the tune in a second. But I think Bob is right that it's a hornpipe, so I'm looking through that website he sent me to and hopefully I'll find it.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

A part of it sounds like Turkey in the Straw. I'm thinking Rob Lackey might know.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks, Bob. Will do. What a cool resource that is! If nothing else I'm glad I posted here simply to have learned of that clips and snips page . What a great way to learn tunes for those of us who learn by ear!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
Go to the tin whistle site Chiff&Fipple. Then go to clips and snips and you can hear tons of hornpipes... Bob.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks, Bob and Lexie. I'll start digging around on YouTube for hornpipes and see if I can't find one that fits.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Dusty, I just wish I had old fiddle tunes bouncing around in my head.

Sorry can't help, but it is a nice tune and I am sure someone will help you out.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
Definitely a hornpipe...possibly the boys from ballycastle... Bob.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

This old fiddle tune has been floating around my head like a familiar smell that you can't quite identify. Does anyone know what the name of the tune is? Help!

The first correct answer will earn my undying gratitude.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 06/11/15 07:42:26AM