.024-.016-.014--- Sounds good but too heavy?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,415 posts
Wow! Thanks for the info, Rob. I like all those tunings.

Rob N Lackey said:

DAA, Robin, and EAA for mixolydian. In fact, I believe I've gone up to DAc for a little minor action

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
422 posts

DAA, Robin, and EAA for mixolydian. In fact, I believe I've gone up to DAc for a little minor action

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,415 posts
Rob, I can go to DAA yet like the sound of CGG with this set-up. How high have you tund with similar gauges?

Rob N Lackey said:

I would think they'd be fine, Robin. I've used similar gauges and the instruments have been fine.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
422 posts

I would think they'd be fine, Robin. I've used similar gauges and the instruments have been fine.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,415 posts
The VSL is 26.5, William.
William Mann
William Mann
@william-mann
9 years ago
22 posts

What is the vibrating string length of your dulcimer? I useheavier strings on my shorter dulcimers, because they tune up to pitch at lower tension.Ibuy strings in bulk and experiment, but my usualsfor DAA these days:

25.5" VSL -- .024/.014/.014

27.5" VSL -- .022/.013/.013

28.5" VSL -- .020/.012/.012

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,415 posts
Hey, friends--My dulcimer's just been strung with, bass to treble, .024- .016-.014 and the sound's good in CGG. I've never gone this heavy with the gauges across the whole fretboard before and am wondering whether I can do my lap dulcimer harm by going this heavy?Thanks for your thoughts!Robin
updated by @robin-thompson: 06/11/15 07:42:55AM