Anne Grimes-book coming out this year

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
Scattered thoughts (it's how I typically think):I'd like to know more about dulcimer makers John Wright of Eno, Ohio and George Butcher. (60-1) [Lilly McGhee Ward Swick had a dulcimer that "had been made for her by a 'Butcher.'" (60)] Mrs. Swick's dulcimer had been made around 1895 and it had been patterned after a John Wright dulcimer. (60-1)In 1966, Anne Grimes had a dulcimer made for her by Ohioan Ron Chacey. Was he a well-known maker?Jane Jones McNerlin (photo 112, profile 113) held the dulcimer in an unusual fashion--and she held it the way her father and grandfather had held the dulcimer. Though I don't recall the page on which I read it, Anne Grimes adopted a similar fashion for her own play. (See cover photo and p11 for photos taken in 1957. See also the 1987 photo by Julie Elman on p13.)Brodie Franklin Halley would play his dulcimer with a fiddler for parties-- the fiddler would begin a tune and Brodie would join in. I've been curious about the past use of the dulcimer with other instruments-- have read of it in Gerry Milnes's Play of a Fiddle.I've got a dulcimer on my lap now and have been playing "Golden Slippers"-- I learned the tune from Ken Ward on the cd accompanying the Grimes book. Smile.gif

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
I've been savoring this book since its arrival. First, I read snippets here and there. Then I went through the book looking at pictures-- I still like to "read" this way, the way I read before I could read. Smile.gif Now, I'm on page 95 and have got there by reading like a grown-up.There are many items in the book about which I wish to know more. Here are a few of them:-The union song collected from Reuben Allen,"The Homestead Strike", is about a mining incident that took place close to where I live. (22-3)-I'd like to know more about Kendra's dad, Ken, and her grandmother, Lilly, and their repertoire. And learn more of dulcimer builders George Butcher and John Wright. (58-62)-Amanda Styers Hook lived somewhere not far from where I live and a murder ballad Mrs. Grimes collected from her, "Terrell", is set in Gore OH, a very small village I've been through many, many times.This book is a treasure!

--
Robin T
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
7 years ago
0 posts
The book arrived last week and I can barely contain myself!!!! I have been telling everyone! The photo with dad and grandmother was a surprise........I had never seen that one!!!! I am very proud of dad and grandma!!!!!

Julie Elman said:
I just got word this past week that the Anne Grimes books are IN at OU Press. I can't wait to see them. Fingers crossed that everything came out OK (reproduction, etc.). I'll be sure to check out this book on Monday! First thing!It was such a pleasure to be a part of getting this book out there. Smile.gifYes, Robin, thank you for taking flyers to Cochocton. And Kendra, I'll be sure to check out your blurb on the historical forum, and I look forward to meeting you in the future!Julie
Julie M Elman
@julie-m-elman
7 years ago
7 posts
I just got word this past week that the Anne Grimes books are IN at OU Press. I can't wait to see them. Fingers crossed that everything came out OK (reproduction, etc.). I'll be sure to check out this book on Monday! First thing!It was such a pleasure to be a part of getting this book out there. Smile.gifYes, Robin, thank you for taking flyers to Cochocton. And Kendra, I'll be sure to check out your blurb on the historical forum, and I look forward to meeting you in the future!Julie
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
Kendra,Don Pedi took some flyers to distribute at festivals and have you seen p72 of the summer DPN-- news of the book is spreading farther!

--
Robin T
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
7 years ago
0 posts
I can't wait either! Yes! Ken Ward is my dad!!! WOOHOOI did just receive a package from Anne's daughter, Jennifer today with some of dad's correspondence. I wrote a funny blurb about it in the historical forum, "more on Anne Grimes Book". Check it out!Thank you Julie for your wonderful work and thank you Robin for bringing flyers to Coshocton Dulcimer Days!Kendra aka, Dulcerina
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
I'm thrilled to see Julie posted information from Ohio University Press about the A Grimes book, along with a PDF for anyone who'd like to print flyers, in the "for sale" section here at FOTMD. Here's a link to it:http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/forum/topics/anne-grimes-book-hot-off-theCan hardly wait to get my copy!

--
Robin T
Julie M Elman
@julie-m-elman
7 years ago
7 posts
How exciting it is to see this thread here! I completed the design of Anne Grimes book in December, and have just received the revisions. I am really looking forward to seeing this book in its printed form. Here's a quick overview: There are 40 chapters within the book, and most center around a person (or people) who have had some influence on the history of folk music in Ohio. Throughout the book, there are many, many wonderful photos of most of the subjects in the book. The words to lots of songs are included, and there are quite a few songs with the musical notations included (most written out or typed by Anne Grimes herself).I actually had the pleasure of meeting Anne Grimes more than 20 years ago when I photographed her for a project I was doing for school (I placed one of her pictures on my slideshow on my mountaindulcimer page). I spent most of the day at her home in Granville, making portraits of her and listening to her sing and tell stories. I feel quite honored to be in a position to be able to design her book.Quite honestly, to read through the book is like hearing Anne Grimes speak. She really had a voice for telling stories. Spread the word and please tell others to check out this book when it comes out! Anne's daughter's did a fantastic (and thorough) job compiling and organizing all of the information/visuals that Anne collected (and her husband James photographed) over the years.
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
Hey, Kendra-How neat that you know of a dulcerine made by the same maker who made your grandmother's instrument! Was the maker from Ohio? (With you being in Gallia Co., I reckon it's just as likely the maker could've been from WV or KY.)We live about halfway between Zanesville and Athens-- you're welcome to stop by any time! And yes, Frazeysburg is not far from Zanesville.

--
Robin T
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
7 years ago
0 posts
Hey Robin,How far are you from Frazysburg? Isn't it up by Zanesville? I know I know where it is but I guess I should not be lazy and look it up. I should look up your town too. I do know about where you are.Anyway, there is another dulcerine made by the same person who made Grandma's. I have seen a photo of it and it looks just like her's. It was passed down in the White family who lived in my area. (the White ancestors live in Frazysburg and that's where this dulcerine is) I do believe that the White's are talked about in Anne Grimes book, and I don't know if there is a recording of them or not. Anyway, I knew these older White's as a kid.From the photo I have of it, their dulcerine seems to be in just a little better shape than Grandma's and it has the noter and pick. I don't think it was played quite as much.I am going there maybe this spring to talk to them more about their dulcerine and compare the two. It should be very interesting. That would make a great story for this forum or DPN maybe.Anyway, if it's in your neck of the woods and you want some jamming company, perhaps we could stop by and visit. (Of course we would let you know when we would be heading that way-not like the old-timers who always just "stopped by" with out warning! ) :-)We'll talk more about it when spring gets here.I find it amazing that there are 2 dulcerines out there! Pretty cool!! I wonder if there are more. . . . . . . . .
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
ff, L. Allen Smith's A Catalogue of Pre-Revival Appalachian Dulcimers includes references to Anne Grimes and photos of dulcimers that were in her collection. Pretty cool!

--
Robin T
folkfan
@folkfan
7 years ago
449 posts
I have to admit that I had to Google to find out who Anne Grimes was. Does anyone know if it is going to be simply stories about collecting folk songs in Ohio, or if the songs will be included?
John Shaw
@john-shaw
7 years ago
65 posts
How exciting is this! The book and CD are a must!
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
Kendra,Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Anne, from the snippets I've read about her, it's easy to imagine, right or not, that she lived in one of the fine old homes in Granville. :)It's so neat that a photo of your dad is on the book's cover and two of his songs are on the cd. Hope you'll get the photos from the daughters soon-- family treasures of the best kind!

--
Robin T
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
7 years ago
0 posts
Hi Robin,Yes, the book is coming out in June I think. I am so excited! I have been meaning to get the link to the book up, but didn't have a chance yet. I am so glad you mentioned it.Yes, dad is in the book and on the CD . . . . .and I just found out that one of the photos on the cover is of dad. Have I said how excited I am yet? . . . .Did you ever meet Anne Grimes? The photo on the cover of the book of her is just wonderful!Her daughters, who finished the book, have told me that they have some photos of dad and me when I was a kid. We used to visit her maybe once a year or so. She lived in Granville, OH. The daughters said they would get some of the photos together and send them to me sometime. (I hope it's soon! )Anne was a very special lady!
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
Thanks for the corrected link, Michael! Doggone, I wasn't able to get the right url linked for some reason-- probably because I don't know what I'm doing. :)I've pre-ordered a copy of the Grimes book/cd.

--
Robin T
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
7 years ago
33 posts
FOTMD member Julie Elman designed the Grimes book-- pretty cool! Here's a link to a page with information about the book:http://www.ohioswallow.com/book/Stories+from+the+Anne+Grimes...On the accompanying cd, the listing of folks recorded includes Ken Ward. Kendra's dad?I corrected your link.Or try:Stories from the Anne Grimes Collection of American Folk MusicLooks like a great addition to the library of many FOTMD members.Michael Vickey
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
840 posts
FOTMD member Julie Elman designed the Grimes book-- pretty cool!
On the accompanying cd, the listing of folks recorded includes Ken Ward. I'm thinking that might be Kendra's dad.

EDIT: Please see the link in Michael's posting below for information on the book. I had no luck posting a link that worked, so thanks to Michael for doing so!

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/11/15 07:23:12AM