Has anyone heard of, or familiar with Loren Powell Dulcimers?

samuri
@samuri
11 months ago
3 posts

Thank you ken-hulme that is very helpful information!

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 months ago
1,397 posts

Other than a grave marker reference, the only other thing I coud find about Powell was a  2014 auction of household goods where the deceased had owned one of Powell's dulcimers.

Southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky from the 20s to the 70s and later, is/was full of "small" builders of dulcimers.  If you can get the instrument for a decent price, George, go for it.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 months ago
1,397 posts

Samurai -- if the tuners don't keep it in tune, the little screws in the ends of the knobs probably need tightening -- start with just a half turn.  Don't crank them all the way tight, just enough so the strings hold tune.

Below is a PDF of revised article I wrote several years ago, called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?  which is an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms (so we all talk about the same things the same way), plus answers to many beginner questions about tuning, playing, care and feeding of your dulcimer.

updated by @ken-hulme: 04/29/16 05:55:23PM
samuri
@samuri
11 months ago
3 posts

Here are some pictures of my dulcimer!

DSCN0281.JPG.jpg
DSCN0281.JPG.jpg  •  7.4MB

DSCN0285.JPG.jpg
DSCN0285.JPG.jpg  •  7.4MB

DSCN0282.JPG.jpg
DSCN0282.JPG.jpg  •  7.1MB

samuri
@samuri
11 months ago
3 posts

I am new to this site. My reason for joining is I recently came into possession of my grandfathers dulcimer. From 1995 to 2000 I dated Loren Powell's grandson. I attended his funeral in Dec. 1999. He was a quiet man who loved to laugh and write poetry for his wife, tinkering with cars, and making dulcimers. All the Powell men are musically inclined. My Mom bought a dulcimer off him in 1997 as a Christmas gift to my grandfather. I have it now. It is numbered D52. I would like to learn how to play but it won't stay in tune.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
840 posts

It looks cool, George!  I'm glad to see pictures from yet another Ohio maker.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
last year
434 posts

It sure looks good George. How does it sound?

Estes George
@george-desjardins
last year
96 posts

In my ongoing search and quest for vintage and hard to find dulcimers, I recently stumbled across a Loren Powell dulcimer, He was from Greenfield Ohio, 1931 to 1999, built dulcimers as a hobby but was supposed to be pretty decent at it, here's a couple photos, has anyone ever played, or owned one, know anything about them?  The wood on it looks nice, top and sides looks to be quilted maple, really like the wood case. Thanks in advance once again.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg  •  352KB

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg  •  285KB