Most inspiring live workshop/lesson you've ever had?

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Paula can you tell us about a particular workshop moment of inspiration that opened a door in your personal musical life? That's really what I was after in this thread.  nod

"Tell us about the single LIVE workshop or music lesson that was the most musically inspiring to you in your music life.  Could be on any instrument- but tell us about how that teacher's in-person lesson or workshop made a big impression, opened a door to your progress, or inspired your music playing in some profound way."

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
3 weeks ago
60 posts

Stephen Seiferts 3 day workshops are the best.   He gets down to basics, rhythm, strumming, chords and covers the landscape very well.   Not everyone is a good teacher and a good player.   Stephen Seifert is excellent at both, and a very nice guy on top of that! 

Bill Davenport
@bill-davenport
3 weeks ago
81 posts

I took a class several years ago with Shelley Stevens. Playing across the strings. Best lesson ever. She had us find our notes ourselves using the middle and bass strings. I am the player I am today because of it. 

D. Chitwood
@d-chitwood
3 weeks ago
114 posts

I know this may sound sorta silly, but back in the day (okay, okay...two years ago, haha!), my friend and I attended a day long time with Joe Collins. We were newbies but obsessed and had never had anyone show us exactly how to do a proper pull-off. Joe showed the class specifically how to do a fine and dandy pull off and you should have seen my friend and me turn our heads, look at each other with jaws dropped and a big ol' lightbulb go KAZAM! over our heads, haha!

Sometimes it's the little things. winker

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,397 posts

Fifteen or so years ago, at the Southwest Dulcimer Festival in Dewey, AZ, I had an impromptu "lesson" with Robert Force, Alan Darveaux and Stephen Seifert at some picnic tables under some trees at the Bean Tree Farm.  My first dulcimer festival, and here's wacky old Noter & Drone Ken, picking and grinning with one of the dulcimer gods and two other fabulous players!  

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Tell us about the single LIVE workshop or music lesson that was the most musically inspiring to you in your music life.  Could be on any instrument- but tell us about how that teacher's in-person lesson or workshop made a big impression, opened a door to your progress, or inspired your music playing in some profound way.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 03/07/17 03:31:40PM