Stand-Up Stands

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

Well, I gave the stand it's inaugural use last night at Open Mic -- by our standards it was chilly too!  Anyway, the stand worked great even though the plank floor where we play isn't nice and even!  Everyone remarked on how much easier it was to hear the dulcimer, how much better the sound was.  I'm always miked, but opening up the back to vibrate just gave a much better sound.  From my viewpoint (now much higher since I'm standing)  interaction with the audience was much better too.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

Not sure if my 'folding stand!' is luggage or something else, it's about 29" high. Nice idea & good luck with your presentation. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

Ireland and Scotland both seem still VERY tied to their "folk" traditions, much more so that England and America.  Conversely, we seem to take great pride in smashing a lot of that "ethnic rubbish" as Ronnie Brown of the Corries once called it!

I stopped by a local restaurant supply place today and got the dark walnut 38" high tray stand locally for the same amount I would have payed for it through www.webstaurant.com, and didn't have to wait.  First impression is that this playing stand-up is going to be a fun experience!

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
7 years ago
33 posts

Sounds very interesting, look forward.Going to a lecture myself tonight given by Terry Moylan on Poetry and Songs of the Irish Revolution 1887-1926. The Indignant Muse title of this Landmark work by the speaker contains 560 of the thousands of  songs and poems created during this extraordinary period of Irish History. Two songs written by James Connolly (Executed for his part in the 1916 Rising) the music for these two songs was composed by a relative of mine Seamus Hughes.  

updated by @macaodha: 03/13/17 08:10:35AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

Marg-- these are similar to a luggage stand (we have one for our AirBnb rental cabana) but much taller -- at least the height of a conventional table.

Val -- Thanx, I will try to get it recorded.   It's interesting to see how the wording and tunes changed as they wandered around Great Britain, across The Pond, and from place to place across the eastern US.  I'm going to give histories of, and perform one version or another of, Child #1, 2, 81, 84, 95, 204, 293, and Roud #2 and 140 plus A Newe Northen Dittye of ye Ladye Greene Sleves, which is not, a ballad, of course. 

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
7 years ago
33 posts

Would love to hear and see your presentation and performance as I'm sure other FOTMD  members would, hope you record it.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

Inns/models/hotels at one time had folding wooden stands like yours for the suitcases, not sure if they still do but I have one. Interesting idea, good luck with your presentation ken

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,084 posts

That's a great idea, Ken. My son left a keyboard stand in the attic when he moved out, but my concern has been that it isn't that sturdy when strumming. I'll have to dig it out and give it a try. The tray table looks to be more stable. If mother nature has its way, I may have plenty of time to do that on Tuesday after shoveling snow.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

So...  I'm putting together a presentation/performance on the history of Dulcimers and the Child Ballads in Americana, which I'll be presenting at our local Americana Community Music Association.  I've been thinking lately about the "presentation" part for that, as well as the Open Mics I attend, and I'm thinking I want to perform standing up, without slinging the dulcimer around my neck like Robert Force.  I know at least a couple of dulcimer-related woodworkers make custom adjustable stands, for custom prices, but I wanted something workable for under $25.

Then Lady Sally and I went to dinner today, where the waitress brought the food for the table on a giant tray -- which she placed on a folding stand! The light bulb began to dimly glow...  I do this "chef thing"  why hadn't I thought of these before??

A little Internet research, and I discover that you can buy these folding stands, made of metal tubing or wooden bars, which stand 28" to 38" tall, and vary in price from $12 to $50.  For reference, a regular table stands 30" tall, but I want something taller on which I can put my Possum Boxes (the carrying boxes I build from Poplar, which double as Possum Board amplifiers).

I found a really nice looking wooden stand, 38" tall, for $19.99, plus $8.89 shipping.  If you want to spend more money, you can get cloth covers in various colors to hide the wood/metal.  The picture shows the one I just ordered from www.webstaurantstore.com -- one of the most respected Internet restaurant supply sites.

tray stand.jpg

updated by @ken-hulme: 03/12/17 11:16:24PM