710 KEEL, Shreveport, LA

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Being positioned by the outside door with temps in the 30's and a 25mph wind was a pretty good substitute for kryptonite lol!

Geekling said:

Ah, but what you guys really needed at the Senior Fair was Superman's Silver Age power of super-ventriloquism! I'm not sure how that would work with dulcimers, but I'm sure there's some variety of kryptonite that could do the trick!Grin.gif

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

I'll get my tin foil hat and be ready for anything CB!

Carrie Barnes
@carrie-barnes
4 years ago
125 posts

HAH! 71.gifAt least w/Nnth Metal, I could sight see and take in the scenery-LOL!24.gifBesides, I've always loved doing the "Hawkman" thing we did as kids113.gif! And with my luck, I'd wind up being a permanent blemish on the south bound end of the horses carved on Stone Mountain40.gif42.gif..........not good JK, not good33.gif!

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Oh CB...anti-gravity is SO five minutes ago. It's all about portals these days! Tongue.gif

Carrie Barnes
@carrie-barnes
4 years ago
125 posts

Sigh, oh dear.................I thought maybe Hawkman and the Nnth Metal would be involved! That anti-gravitational stuff would be great to use to get to Dulcimerville!3.gif

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

I think we can handle the decoder rings, but I'm not sure that Ovaltine sponsors radio shows anymore. Grin.gif

Chuck Moseley
@chuck-moseley
4 years ago
5 posts

You know John...I sort of like the decoder ring idea... Grin.gif

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Steph...it was a tale of two cities for sure...the one we were in and the one we were supposed to be in lol! We actually had a good time, just much different than what what we were originally told. The cool thing is that we found out after the first show that we actually have a builder here in Shreveport...Billy Walker. He invited us to his home the other night and we probably played 15-20 of his dulcimers. He makes great stuff at a VERY reasonable price...AND...he came out today to support us. He is 85 years young and a tremendous gentleman. He also is working on a double top-secret project at the moment (and thank you). 32.gif39.gif113.gif

Karen Keane
@karen-keane
4 years ago
26 posts
It was too much fun!!!
John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

CB...you can have the actual sign lol! Grin.gif

Carrie Barnes
@carrie-barnes
4 years ago
125 posts

A picture paints a thousand words.............LOL! So sorry you didn't get any air time, but I know y'all got to spread the word about the dulcimer! That's what counts, that and the fact that, I couldn't think of two better Ambassadors to do it! I want an autographed copy of the pix to, ROFL24.gif24.gif! Play on!!!

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
492 posts

Glad to hear that two of you had a good time even if you didn't get on air this time. Keep on pushing those dulcimers.

Karen Keane
@karen-keane
4 years ago
26 posts
It was a neat experience, though not what we intended. It was really interesting to see people light up, when they realized that they could play an instrument. There was a variety of people both young and elderly that participated in the event and John and I did have a great time sharing our love for the dulcimer.
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 years ago
276 posts

I didn't get to hear the whole broadcast, so I'm not sure if they mentioned you. I did get to hear the mayor. He does sound like James Earl JonesGrin.gif. The most important thing is that you were there talking to people and sharing your love of the mountain dulcimer with them. I'm sure they enjoyed itSmile.gif.

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks Robin! The organizers evidently never got the memo concerning what we were actually there to do this morning lol. The good news is that we got to play all morning and meet a bunch of neat folks! Smile.gif

Robin Thompson said:

I'm here to help! :)
Hey, y'all are spreading the good news of dulcimer and that's the main thing.
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
840 posts
I'm here to help! :)Hey, y'all are spreading the good news of dulcimer and that's the main thing.

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Well...apologies to anyone who tuned in expecting to hear us this time. We were positioned as far away from the broadcast table as was possible in the venue. I "think" we got mentioned, but we were far enough away that we couldn't really tell. I think this picture pretty much sums it up. Grin.gif

360_forums.jpg?width=721

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks Rob! The Senior Health Fair is a great cause alone, but the chance to introduce some folks to a new potential hobby is really special to us.

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
4 years ago
434 posts

John, Karen, Y'all are doing a great job out there! Hope the day is great for both y'all and the folks in attendance.

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks, it should be a fun day!

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Steph, they seem to hang on to the programs for "later listening" on the KEEL site, so hopefully they will with this one as well. Dulcimers won't be the main focus of the show this time, but they did ask us to play the segment intros/outtros. We appreciate you and Keith for the offer, but it appears that it should be there later in the day on Saturday. Thank you though! Smile.gif

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

LOL! Thanks y'all...just trying to spread the dulcimer bug out there. We hope that y'all can catch the broadcast (either live or delayed). As for the title...hmmmm...maybe "Eight is Not Enough" LOL! Grin.gif

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
492 posts

Karen and John plus dulcimers.

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 years ago
859 posts

Real Housewives of Viper, Kentucky?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 years ago
859 posts

Wow. John and Karen, the media darlings of the dulcimer world. Pretty soon you'll get your own reality TV show.Grin.gif

OK, I'm playing with ya. This is great. You guys are great ambassadors for our favorite instrument.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
492 posts

Have fun dulcimer ambassadors!

Carrie Barnes
@carrie-barnes
4 years ago
125 posts

That is excellent news indeed John and Karen! Rooting here for y'all, and will do!Grin.gif

Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 years ago
276 posts

Thanks John for the heads up. You and Karen are doing a wonderful job!!!Smile.gif

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Here we go again! This Saturday (3/2/13) "The Best of Times Radio Hour" will be doing a live remote from the Senior Health Fair in Shreveport. Karen and I will be performing at the event, providing segment music for the show, and doing "hands on" dulcimer demonstrations for the folks in attendance. If you are in the area, please stop by. If not, please give it a listen! The Health Fair starts at 8:30 AM, and the radio show starts around 9:00 AM (CST). Here's a link with more info: http://www.thebestoftimesnews.com/radio.php

Brian G.
@brian-g
4 years ago
95 posts

Thank you Karen! :)

Karen Keane said:

Thanks Brian and ditto on the car. She's a beauty.
Karen Keane
@karen-keane
4 years ago
26 posts
Thanks Brian and ditto on the car. She's a beauty.
John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

It only counts if you leave the keys! Grin.gif

Brian G.
@brian-g
4 years ago
95 posts

I will keep that in mind, JK. Grin.gif

John Keane said:

If you need a place to leave it in the meantime...well... 101.gifGrin.gif

Brian G. said:

I haven't even had a chance to take the new car out yet for a drive, but thank you. Soon, I hope. :)

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

If you need a place to leave it in the meantime...well... 101.gifGrin.gif

Brian G. said:

I haven't even had a chance to take the new car out yet for a drive, but thank you. Soon, I hope. :)

Brian G.
@brian-g
4 years ago
95 posts

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks BG! We hope that it reached some folks who otherwise wouldn't know what a dulcimer is. I hope you are enjoying the new car! Grin.gif

Brian G.
@brian-g
4 years ago
95 posts

I finally returned home from some traveling and had a chance to listen to The Best of Times Segment. Great job, John and Karen. I like how you slipped in mentioned of FoTMD also. :)

Karen Keane
@karen-keane
4 years ago
26 posts
Hee Hee...thanks Stephanie.
John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks Steph! Smile.gif

Karen Keane
@karen-keane
4 years ago
26 posts
Looking forward to it!
Karen Keane
@karen-keane
4 years ago
26 posts
Hey Carrie, can we borrow the invisible jet this week for our trip to Irving? Hee HeeHey Pop, can't wait to get to Irving and see you. Have you decided what classes you are taking? I saw your new website and it rocks, I would love to talk to you about some of the details. John and I need to do that too, but I don't have a clue where to start.Thanks Kenneth, but pray anyway, LOL and thanks for listening.
John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks CB! We're definitely excited to have the chance to expose some folks to a great instrument. Now...about that stealth button...

Carrie Barnes said:

John and Karen, great news indeed on the invite to perfom at the senior health fair.......excellent news!!! Sometimes things just pay off great dividends. And am thrilled for the both of you! I agree with Ken, y'all will do a great job as always!

PS.............Invisible jet, had a new "stealth" button put in, heh, heh!

Carrie Barnes
@carrie-barnes
4 years ago
125 posts

John and Karen, great news indeed on the invite to perfom at the senior health fair.......excellent news!!! Sometimes things just pay off great dividends. And am thrilled for the both of you! I agree with Ken, y'all will do a great job as always!

PS.............Invisible jet, had a new "stealth" button put in, heh, heh!

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thanks Pop! We will be there bright and early Friday morning (well...the morning will probably be bright anyway Grin.gif). We look forward to seeing you there (and actually getting to visit a bit this time).

Pop Miller said:

John & Karen -

I just listened to the recorded broadcast, and you two did a wonderful job! Keep up the good work.

- Pop

P.S. Will y'all be in Irving on Friday, or is that a school day for you?

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Thank you Ken...you are very kind. I just hope that we can take the opportunity to increase awareness and encourage others to do likewise in their communities. This instrument is too much fun to keep it a secret! Smile.gif

Kenneth W. Longfield said:

John, I don't really think prayer is necessary. You and Karen will do a fine job. I did email Gary yesterday and let him know I listened to show and it was all the way up here in Pennsylvania. Keep up the good work.

Ken

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
492 posts

John, I don't really think prayer is necessary. You and Karen will do a fine job. I did email Gary yesterday and let him know I listened to show and it was all the way up here in Pennsylvania. Keep up the good work.

Ken

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

Okay...this goes directly with my previous comment below. I got an email a few minutes ago for Karen and I to perform at a senior health fair in a couple of weeks, play dulcimer music for the live radio remote from the health fair, and set-up a booth to show the attendees what the dulcimer is all about. All of that dulcimer exposure from a little radio show. I'm tellin' ya...if we as dulcimer players don't spread the word, the word won't get spread. Now...please pray for us that we don't stink it up and ruin it. Grin.gif

John Keane said:

Thanks Randy! I feel sometimes that we as dulcimer players are our own worst enemies. We complain that no one in our area even knows what a dulcimer is, but we often do very little to promote the instrument in our own backyard. It is amazing how many people will see a newspaper article or hear a radio broadcast. It's up to all of us to get the word out there. I never knew what a mountain dulcimer was until 2010. This blows my mind because I was raised in Arkansas and lived in Tennessee for five years (and have been around the music community from birth). Karen and I feel strongly about getting the word out and letting folks know what a mountain dulcimer is, and would like to encourage more folks to do so. If we as dulcimer players don't promote the instrument, no one else will. Smile.gif

John Keane
@john-keane
4 years ago
253 posts

You got the invisible jet? Wow...I never noticed that it was gone. Grin.gif Changing back to serious for just a second, thanks again to everyone who gave the show a listen, and please don't forget to email Gary and let him know that you listened and where you are from. Thanks y'all!

Carrie Barnes said:

KK, no problem on the email, glad to do it. And don't tell JK or Randy, but I GOT the "Invisible Jet", muahahaha!

Carrie Barnes
@carrie-barnes
4 years ago
125 posts

KK, no problem on the email, glad to do it. And don't tell JK or Randy, but I GOT the "Invisible Jet", muahahaha!

/ 2