the Queen family of Jackson Co NC

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,426 posts
I'm sure Mrs. Queen was a treasure to those who knew her.Rest in peace, Mary Jane Queen.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,426 posts
Neat story, Lois. I'd love to get to see Mrs Queen in person to hear her play and sing!
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
15 years ago
1,426 posts
Thanks, Greg, I searched Henry Queen and found the site!
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
15 years ago
141 posts
Although I do not know the Queen family personally, I do have a DVD copy of the PBS program. Like other mountain families, their music has been passed down from generation to generation. Henry Queen has a website where you can purchase a copy of the DVD or one of their CD's. The matriarch of the family is Mary Jane Queen, who has a CD out on which she sings mostly old Appalachian ballads similar to what Cecil Sharp was collecting in the early 1900's. Henry Queen's music falls somewhere between old-time and bluegrass.Greg "Banjimer"
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
15 years ago
1,426 posts
It'd be fun to sit down and play some tunes with you, Phil!
Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
15 years ago
28 posts
Hey Robin-yes, we have a good many dulcimer players in these parts. I am a member of 4 clubs, so there is usually something going on. If y'all ever come this way give me a holler and we'll do some playin'. Robin Thompson said:
Phil, are there many other dulcimer players in your neck of the woods?
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
15 years ago
1,426 posts
Phil, are there many other dulcimer players in your neck of the woods?
Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
15 years ago
28 posts
I don't know the Queens but I live in the next county over from them-Macon county. There are alot of very good musicians around these parts-mostly banjo, mandolin, guitar and fiddle. I have played at places where the bluegrass musicians are fascinated with the MD. They can't believe all of the music we can play on those little things and they ask all kinds of questions.Phil
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
15 years ago
1,426 posts
In his blog, Bill Lewis mentioned he watched a program on PBS about the Queen family from Jackson County NC. Anybody here know the Queens? The documentary looks great and I'd like to see it.
updated by @robin-thompson: 01/15/16 10:25:51AM