Joni explaining and playing the dulcimer

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

Wayne, I love the podcasts you guys have produced and I hope they keep coming.  

If I remember correctly, and earlier version of Hearts of the Dulcimer included a clip of the video I posted above when Joni mentions the "dynamite gal from California" who made her dulcimer.  I think it was on a small TV and you used it as an intro to talk with Joellen.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Wayne Jiang
Wayne Jiang
@wayne-jiang
8 years ago
7 posts

In case you haven't our podcast.  we have an episode telling the story how Joni got her first dulcimer from Joellen at the Big Sur music festival.  Here's the link.

http://www.dulcimuse.com/podcast/resource/002.html

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

blissness: Hi Dusty,

I have her Song book with favorite Joni tunes, so now I'd like to make some of the chords more simple to play. Have you ever used Finale?

My teacher simplifies tunes using Finale. I'm looking into it and was wondering if you knew anything about using note pad Finale or their

other programs ?

Hey Blissness, I don't use Finale personally, but I do use Tabledit. It is incredibly powerful but also not very intuitive.  I have gotten to the point where I can tab out an arrangement pretty quickly, but when I try to create multiple endings to songs or indicate chords above the tab or use a capo, it is not obvious how to do all that. I have stopped trying to figure it out on my own and just go online for help. Several of us have begun to use the Arranging for Dulcimers Group  to ask questions about that kind of thing.  There is a free trial version of Tabledit that allows you to arrange pieces up to 16 or 24 measures. You might try it out and see how you like it.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/25/16 09:02:10PM
blissness
@blissness
8 years ago
0 posts

Hi Dusty,

We all adore Joni and I was thrilled when I found Lapidus on Dulcimer 2.

I have her Song book with favorite Joni tunes, so now I'd like to make some of the chords more simple to play. Have you ever used Finale?

My teacher simplifies tunes using Finale. I'm looking into it and was wondering if you knew anything about using note pad Finale or their

other programs ?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Kimberly, I responded earlier today to your identical question in the Ask the Moderators forum, where I posted a link to the DPN article.  Check it out here .

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Lucky you, John, to have seen that show. It's kind of funny to hear those two dulcimer tunes after an electric set with a big bass and all. Some of it reminds me of the Miles of Aisles album where she has a full band, including electric bass, horns, and everything, yet behind it all is Joni's melodic voice and acoustic sensibilities.

By the 80s you could hear her voice changing, getting deeper with less sustain, signs of both age and cigarettes.

I'd be her "mean old daddy" anytime.Smile.gif

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
john p
john p
@john-p
11 years ago
173 posts

Thanks for that Dusty, I think I really liked her best in the early years.

From a later concert : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPrJNKJcRrs in 1983.

"A Case of You" starts at 19m 24s and is followed by "Carey".

I was lucky enough to get a back stage pass, great night.

john

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Some of us have seen pieces of this clip, but the whole concert is available on YouTube. I've cued it to the spot where Joni Mitchell introduces her dulcimer to the audience and then plays "California," one of my favorite Joni songs.

http://youtu.be/qH9DzMKxulc?t=16m14s

457_forums.jpg?width=300

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/25/19 07:38:32AM