Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,727 posts

Marg, many dulcimers are made with a nut and a bridge that can be configured for two different arrangements of strings. One is the standard three-course instrument with a double melody string. The other is four equidistant strings. I assume that is what you are talking about.

marg said:

Looking close up at the hourglass, it looks to have slits in the fretboard end for several strings . Could you put 5 or 6 strings on this dulcimer?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 years ago
2,123 posts

The streets of Manitou Springs, where the shop is are on a 20-30 degree slope, and their shop is half underground -- more or less a basement by itself. It may be knee deep in mud and mold by now. Sorry to hear that about them...

marg
@marg
10 years ago
616 posts

Looking close up at the hourglass, it looks to have slits in the fretboard end for several strings . Could you put 5 or 6 strings on this dulcimer?

Rob N Lackey said:

The hourglass one looks really nice. Not a bad price but shipping is a touch high. I think the teardrop is way too high, because, I think, and I'm not sure, it's what they call their beginner model, which wasn't that expensive new (If I remember correctly.)

marg
@marg
10 years ago
616 posts

Sounds like the mud from the flood was all around and got into their basement. Maybe the closing is do to the clean up.

It does say till further notice, so maybe they will - with some time they be able to continue with their life long passion.

Rob N Lackey said:

Well, that's a shame. It's hard to imagine such an established company as they had having to close.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 years ago
85 posts

That is a shame. The one I have I got as a kit back in 07. Has a very sweet sound to it. Sorry they ran into hard times. Hopefully they can get things turned around.

--
Site Moderator
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Well, that's a shame. It's hard to imagine such an established company as they had having to close.

marg
@marg
10 years ago
616 posts

I just found Cripple Creek's FB page, and saw this maybe due to the flood they had:

I'm sorry to announce we are officially out if business until further notice.
Thanks for 43 years of LOVEand MUSIC.

Ken Hulme said:

Do you have any idea how old the dulcimer is? What style? Was it a kit built, or made by Cripple Creek? If it has a pattern of aspen leaf soundholes it could be one of their higher grade models.

Generally speaking Cripple Creek dulcimers have been of very good quality. Bud & Donna Ford have built dulcimers for over 40 years. I've built a number of their kits and played several of their shop-built dulcimer and been very happy.

I understand that lately - say the last 8 months or so, something has fallen off in their QC though -- we've had a couple negative reports.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

The hourglass one looks really nice. Not a bad price but shipping is a touch high. I think the teardrop is way too high, because, I think, and I'm not sure, it's what they call their beginner model, which wasn't that expensive new (If I remember correctly.)

marg
@marg
10 years ago
616 posts

I don't know anything about these dulcimers but I thought it would help to see a cost on the 2 below for comparison:

NICE Vintage Cripple Creek Appalachian Mountain Dulcimer Manitou Springs, CO $225.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-Vintage-Cripple-Creek-Appalachian-Mountain-Dulcimer-Manitou-Springs-CO-/271394659278#vi-content

Cripple Creek mountain dulcimer #81471 $159.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/321273168985

Ken Hulme said:

Do you have any idea how old the dulcimer is? What style? Was it a kit built, or made by Cripple Creek? If it has a pattern of aspen leaf soundholes it could be one of their higher grade models.

Generally speaking Cripple Creek dulcimers have been of very good quality. Bud & Donna Ford have built dulcimers for over 40 years. I've built a number of their kits and played several of their shop-built dulcimer and been very happy.

I understand that lately - say the last 8 months or so, something has fallen off in their QC though -- we've had a couple negative reports.

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
11 years ago
242 posts

Larry, how is the John Rearigh dulcimer you bought? I don't know anything about the maker, but that in itself means only that I haven' t been out of the house enough! I'm in Ohio, he may not have attended festivals I've been to. Does it play well, and sound good?

CD
CD
@cd
11 years ago
61 posts

The Cripple Creeks sold at Dollyworld were inexpensivebuilt dulcimers for the tourist trade.

Larry Ross said:

THnaks for the info on the Cripple Creek.

How about Dulcimers built by J Rearhig. Anyone have any input on their quality?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,727 posts

Larry, for $300 you can get a very nice instrument. That Cripple Creek could be good, but it might also have problems similar to those of recent instruments discussed in the forums I link to above. And as you can see, some of those were utterly unplayable.

Since the ad is on Craig's list, it is obviously local, and you can see and play the dulcimer before buying it. If you are really interested, take an electronic tuner with you when you go to see it. Tune it up and play a little bit. Is the action reasonable? Action refers to how high off the fretboard the strings are. If the action is too low, the strings will likely buzz. If it is too high, it will be hard to finger the strings. Additionally, high action might also lead to faulty intonation. Use your tuner to check each fret on each string as you move up the fretboard. Do the notes stay in tune or do they get sharp or flat as you move up the fretboard? Some of the other Cripple Creek dulciemrs described in those other discussions had bad intonation, perhaps due to faulty fret positioning. But that basically makes them unplayable. As you play,doesthe instrument stay in tuneor lose itstuning repeatedly? If the instrument has not been played recently and if the strings are old, it might have trouble staying in tune anyway, but if it seems to need constant retuning, that could be a sign of faulty tuning pegs.

Again, let me reiterate that $300 is a fair amount for a used instrument. In fact,I've paid that price for a used Blue Lion and also a used Laurel Mountain, both of which are probably better instruments than the Cripple Creek.I would advise definite caution here.There are fine new dulcimers that you can buy in the $300 range. For example, FOTMD member David Lynch sells several model dulcimers for $325 and a student model for $125. I have one of the student models which I use when I travel on the east coast. It is a wonderful instrument. I can only imagine how nice David's higher end instruments are. Check out his website here . You might also keep an eye on the For Sale Forum here at FOTMD. Periodically instrument come available there that might be better risks than the Cripple Creek. Or you might start a discussion asking about recommendations for dulcimers in the $300 range. A bunch of folks will probably recommend luthiers they know and trust.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,727 posts

Before making a purchase, take a look at this discussion from some time ago. And in there I link to another discussion from a few years earlier.

While I think Ken is correct that in general Cripple Creek dulcimers were quality instruments for some time, there have been difficulties going back further than the 8 months or so he recalls.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,123 posts