Need help- Grover Star planetary tuner slipping on Sunhearth dulcimer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,421 posts

Thank you, Skip, George, and John P for responding!  I have not yet had opportunity to go further in exploring the problem with the tuner-- I now have guidance to help.  Thanks again, friends! 

updated by @robin-thompson: 11/28/15 09:29:41PM
john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

Hi Robin.

Skip has covered most of what needs looking at, so I thought a 'plan of action' might be helpful.

i) - Make sure that the string is not slipping on the winding post !!!
This will show up if the winding post is turning, but the string is not getting any tighter. Most players have their own patent method of attaching strings to the winding post to prevent this happening. Just poking the string through the hole and giving it a couple of turns may not be enough to stop it pulling back through when it's tightened.

ii) -  You will have seen from (i) whether the winding post is turning or not, if it isn't turning then the slippage is somewhere else.
So, take off the tuner by removing the nut from the inside of the pegbox, the tuner should just pull out.

The tuner is made up of sections, very much like the transmission in a car.
The winding post is the prop shaft that turns the wheels.
The barrel section is a single speed gear box.
The button is the engine.
The fibre washer is the clutch plate. You can only get at this by taking off the button.

iii) - Examine the underside of the barrel, and make sure the small pin is in place. This digs into the outside of the pegbox and stops the barrel rotating.

iv) - Take off the button. Hold the barrel between your fingers and turn the button shaft, does the winding post also turn. If it doesn't then most likely the gears are stripped and it needs replacing.

v) - Examine the fibre washer and look for any parts that have become shiny with wear.

vi) - You might not need to do this, depending on (v), but do it anyway.
Put a piece of fine sandpaper on a flat surface and give both sides of the washer a gentle rub over, just enough to rough up the surface a bit.
Most unlikely, but take a look at the bottom of the button itself for any signs of wear. If you do any sanding on this part be very careful to keep everything flat.

vii) - Put the tuner back on, ensuring that when you tighten up the nut the pin digs into the wood and the barrel is tight and flush.

Good luck.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
9 years ago
92 posts

do you have a picture of the tuner? might be able to help,

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,421 posts

Skip, the tuner didn't seem to be slipping in the wood.  It's late so I'll not fiddle with the thing tonight. . . Thanks for your advice!  

Skip
Skip
@skip
9 years ago
359 posts

I have similar tuners. Can you tell if the tuner is slipping in the wood or the shaft turning in the housing. Put a piece of masking tape on the body and a separate piece on the wood and a pencil reference mark on both, tighten and check the reference mark. If it's the body turning, the nut may be loose or the pin anchor protrusion on the body/wood interface may be damaged [which probably cannot be fixed]. Not sure what can be done if the shaft is slipping in the body or the adjusting screw or the gears inside are stripped except replace the tuner. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the button and see if there is a friction washer that is wear polished. 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,421 posts

I've tightened the end screw-- the screw on the outside end of the wooden button-- and the tuner still slips/turns free.  If you have experience working with Grover Star planetary tuners, please advise. 

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM