Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
2,252 posts

@ken-hulme - I believe it's fine when people add to discussions that are from years ago. This thread is only two years old. I always encourage folks here to use the Search function, which by its very nature pulls up older references to subjects that are of interest to them or to others. I never fail to learn new things from reading older threads that have resurfaced, and i enjoy when they are revived. Unless there's a real problem about it, here is no need to fingerwag about how old a discussion is- people always figure this out on their own. But thanks for your concern!  😉

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
2,124 posts

@shannonmilan -- you do realize this conversation is over two years old, don't you.

shanonmilan
@shanonmilan
one month ago
61 posts

Bill Robison:

Did Mike Clemmer make an hourglass instrument with wooden pegs and a 5 string (double melody and equi spaced as 4 string? I just had one given to me, no tag or serial#  27.5 or 28" vsl, all walnut, no 6 1/2 or 13 1/2 frets. scroll has wheat heads engraved on the sides. It is the violin style, nice woodwork and finish

While I'm not familiar with Mike Clemmer making a specific hourglass instrument like yours, the features you described—wooden pegs, a 5-string configuration, walnut construction, and wheat head engravings on the scroll—suggest it's a finely crafted piece.

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 years ago
185 posts

I believe Bill retired in the late 80's. Not sure what the intonation was set to, I'd imagine the melody was an A vs. the contemporary d.

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

Dan,

Any idea of when Bill Davis stopped selling his kit dulcimers?

This one was assembled by a careful woodworker. Joints are all good  and finish is even.  I have not restrung it yet but checked the sound.  It does have a big sound! Also, what tuning is normal for the 5 string 4 course setup?

Thanks

Bill R

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 years ago
185 posts

Not a Clemmer but a Bill Davis peg head. Bill taught Sam Carrell who in turn trained Mike Clemmer. Bill sold a lot of kits back in the day. His pieces where marked on the lower right back. (Early pieces had labels) They have a "big" sound!

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

Dan an John ,

Here are some photos

PB0420353b.jpg
PB0420353b.jpg  •  140KB

PB0420382c.jpg
PB0420382c.jpg  •  178KB

PB042039a.jpg
PB042039a.jpg  •  318KB

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

Dan and John, I found photos of the Bill Davis dulcimer, it fits it to a "t". I can see the similarities in the Clemmer peg head and the Davis peg head

Thanks

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
388 posts

Sounds like a Bill Davis kit to me.....we need images!

I agree with Dan.  Sounds like a Bill Davis dulcimer from Gatlinburg years ago.

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 years ago
185 posts

Sounds like a Bill Davis kit to me.....we need images!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,124 posts

I thought mike's instruments we well labelled.  Call him and ask --

Retail shop open Thursday and Friday 10am - 5pm.    Call 865.448.6647 

updated by @ken-hulme: 11/04/22 05:02:59PM
Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

Did Mike Clemmer make an hourglass instrument with wooden pegs and a 5 string (double melody and equi spaced as 4 string? I just had one given to me, no tag or serial#  27.5 or 28" vsl, all walnut, no 6 1/2 or 13 1/2 frets. scroll has wheat heads engraved on the sides. It is the violin style, nice woodwork and finish