Concert Ukulele

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Hey @fharlm, I would think a Fluke would be a great beginner ukulele.  They are made with a composite body, which keeps the cost down and also makes them almost indestructible.  The wood top ensures good tonality.  And they are made with excellent intonation.  There are lots of cheap ukuleles out there, but a lot of them are unplayable.  The Fluke is reliable.  And hey, you don't need a stand since it can stand up on its own!

Although they cost a little more, I prefer the models with wood fretboards.  The sound is noticeably warmer than those with the polycarbonate fretboard.

Even if you continue playing and eventually want a fancier, solid wood instrument, the Fluke makes a great travel instrument-- something you can be comfortable taking camping, for example--so it will always have a use.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 09/05/22 11:23:51PM
Fharlm
Fharlm
@fharlm
2 years ago
5 posts

kjb:

Colleen Hailey:

I have several ukuleles.  My favorite is the Fluke.  Also have a Flea and Firefly (banjo uke) which are great.  Another favorite uke I bought for $30 on a beach in Italy.  It has a great sound.

Do you recommend Fluke to beginners like me? I don't post much, but I read a lot on this forum. I am asking now because there are many options and I am confused.
for starting the process to make a UKULELE selection for purchase. I wouldn't want my wife to buy something that won't
even stay in tune long enough to get satisfactory learning from. Four-string is what I expect
makes the most sense. 

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
5 years ago
67 posts

They're like potato chips--nobody can have just one.

kjb
@kjb
5 years ago
12 posts

Colleen Hailey:

So, I am now on my third ukulele... Apparently Ukulele Acquisition Disorder is as much of a thing as DAD.  I now have a Fluke style concert, my original Kala CEM and a Kala tenor. Can play some chords now but strumming still a bit of a challenge.  I was a slow learner on the dulcimer and will undoubtably be so on the ukulele as well.

I have several ukuleles.  My favorite is the Fluke.  Also have a Flea and Firefly (banjo uke) which are great.  Another favorite uke I bought for $30 on a beach in Italy.  It has a great sound.

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
5 years ago
18 posts

Hi Colleen! This tip will help with volume. I understand about volume problems with banjo type instruments. I have a mandolin banjo that would drive both my husband and cat out of the room until I learned how to muzzle it! You have probably heard the phrase "Put a sock on it" and I have heard this came about due to uncontrollable banjos. Just take a sock, washcloth or something similar and put it between the rod and underside of the head. Presto, it is muted! This may give you a way to practice your strums without driving all those around you crazy. Gotta love the bratty little banjos!

Barb

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
5 years ago
67 posts

So, I'm back, now up to 7 ukuleles and I still can't play any of them very well, but that's another story...  I've now got 3 concerts, (including the Fluke), a longneck soprano, a tenor, a baritone and a banjolele.  The banjolele is one of the Gold Tone Little Gem line and I love it to bits.  It is LOUD and I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate it into some of the songs that my dulcimer group plays.  Unfortunately, all of my mistakes are amplified for the world to hear and I throw my fellow players off so will need to work on that.  I will be sitting down with my dulcimer group leader and trying to work with her re strumming patterns for our songs.  I do ok at home and then get totally thrown when I try to play with the group.

Until I reread this thread, I had totally forgotten the tuning issue with the Fluke.  I haven't gotten back to trying to play it, but plan to someday.  I think that I enjoy the larger ukes (tenor, baritone, banjolele) the best at the moment.

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
7 years ago
108 posts

Colleen Hailey:

Will taking a screwdriver to them make the tuners actually turn without bouncing back?  

Yes.  It sounds like your tuners need tightening.  Tighten the screw a quarter-turn, tune up the string, and see if it holds.  If not, try another quarter-turn.  If you've tightened it too much and the tuner becomes hard for you to turn, loosen it again just a bit.  I've met loose friction tuners that needed a 360-degree turn or more to get them working right.

Properly-adjusted friction tuners should hold tune just as well as geared tuners do.  They'll need tightening once or twice a year.  Sometimes loosening, too, if the humidity changes.  I have a little blade/phillips screwdriver on my keychain and it goes everywhere with me.  If I'm going to play a gig and I won't be able to tune between songs then I'll give the tuners an extra twist just for insurance.

If the tuners are really old and corroded or the screw is stripped, then they'll need replacing.  If the wood in the head stock is damaged, that's a whole different can of worms.  Know that the folks at the Magic Fluke company stand by their products and will do repairs, usually free, even if you bought it used.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Lisa Golladay:

Colleen, my Fluke has friction tuners and they give me no problems.  Have you taken a screwdriver to the screws at the ends of the tuning pegs?  Mine need adjusting once or twice a year.  Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. 

Will taking a screwdriver to them make the tuners actually turn without bouncing back?  Because that is what they are doing, making it impossible to tune.  Right now it is in the corner of my office, looking at me reproachfully.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Black Dog Bess:

Colleen, I understand how you feel about friction tuners. My Gretsch banjolele came with them. My fondness for the instrument (it was so darn cute!) made me play it a lot and I got used to the tuners. Now they are still not my first choice but I am OK with them. 

If you think ukes are fun, banjoleles are even better. The folks I jam with like having another instrument voice. Like all banjos, they are finicky little instruments so if you don't like to fiddle with your instruments, banjoleles are not for you. I also recommend getting a good set up initially.  

Actually, I've been eyeing the banjoleles.  They are on the "someday" list.  Which is sort of ridiculous, as I'm still at the green beginner stage on the ukulele, though I've made a little progress.  What brand/type of banjolele do you have?  

I've started playing the uke on a few songs in my dulcimer group.  

And, yay, I finally realized that there is a button for the quote function.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Sorry, folks, I still don't seem to have the quote function down.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Well I made the plunge 3 months ago and bought a Kala Ziricoat Tenor and couldn't be happier. I actually have learned more about music since I've had this. Yes I still put many hours on my Folkcraft, but what fun the Uke is.

My next uke purchase may well be a baritone, but that will have to wait until tax refund time.  I've been eyeing the ziricoat Kalas, but unfortunately, they don't make in a baritone.

Hi, I have a magic flea. I think it had aquila strings but had terrible time keeping  in tune so sent it back the and got i think were planetary tuners. They did not charge me for labor which was amazing as i bought it used and told them so.

Wow, that is pretty amazing. I should contact them, as my Fluke is sitting on the floor, untouched at the moment. It needs some love. I mostly alternate between my long neck soprano and the tenor.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

I'm not sure what strings are on the Fluke as I bought it on Craigslist and didn't think to ask the seller. I haven't heard of those type of strings before--I might give them a try.

Aaaannnnddd I just got my fourth (and hopefully last for a while) ukulele. I wanted to add a soprano to the herd. I got another Kala. It is a mahogany longneck, which means it has a soprano body but a concert length neck. Like most Kalas, it is very pretty.

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
7 years ago
108 posts

I think uke is a perfect 2nd instrument for MD players.  Most of us start MD playing melody on traditional modal tunes.  While a uke is just begging you to strum chords and sing Leon Redbone songs.  Or maybe that's just me.  Anyway, uke makes us approach music from a new perspective.  That can't help but make us smarter all around. 

I used to worry about balancing time between instruments, but I finally realized they do not care (unlike my family, friends, coworkers and cats).  So I play what I'm in the mood to play. 

Colleen, my Fluke has friction tuners and they give me no problems.  Have you taken a screwdriver to the screws at the ends of the tuning pegs?  Mine need adjusting once or twice a year.  Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.  It does take patience to get used to the tiny movements (like a few ticks of a clock) necessary to get friction pegs in tune.  OTOH, when you change strings it's a whole lot faster!  Magic Fluke sells Peghead geared tuners, but they are not cheap.  Some people attach ordinary cheap geared tuners, but those are heavy and put the uke out of balance IMHO.  Search the Ukulele Underground forums and you'll find lots of tips for modifying Flukes. 

(Public Service Announcement: Do NOT look at the Ukulele Marketplace forum.)  nono

If you put a strap button on the bottom, the Fluke will no longer be able to stand up by itself.  Magic Fluke sells a velcro strap; I haven't tried it but I assume it works.  Try fluorocarbon strings on the Fluke.  I'm currently in love with a set of Oasis Warm strings, but if you like the bright ring of a spruce top then you might prefer Oasis Bright or Martin M600. 

Speaking of cats (I was a minute ago, wasn't I?) my avatar Nick was born in the household of someone I met at uke club.  As far as Nick knows, all human females play ukulele.  I would hate for him to learn otherwise.

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
7 years ago
18 posts

Colleen, I understand how you feel about friction tuners. My Gretsch banjolele came with them. My fondness for the instrument (it was so darn cute!) made me play it a lot and I got used to the tuners. Now they are still not my first choice but I am OK with them. 

If you think ukes are fun, banjoleles are even better. The folks I jam with like having another instrument voice. Like all banjos, they are finicky little instruments so if you don't like to fiddle with your instruments, banjoleles are not for you. I also recommend getting a good set up initially.  

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

My favorite is my Kala ST-G spruce top tenor.  Found it used at a local guitar store.  I keep my original Kala concert in my office to strum on for a few minutes at lunch time.  There's a Kala soprano that I have my eye on too...And...my third is a concert Fluke that I got on Craigslist. Unfortunately, I have barely touched that one.  I'm thinking of finding someone to add geared tuners and a button strap.  Not fond of the friction tuners, but should probably give them another chance.  Lisa Golladay, does your Fluke have geared tuners?  I'm happy with my mid-range ukes right now as I don't play well enough to justify purchasing a higher end one.  If I progress well enough, I might start looking at banjoleles, but that is a ways down the line.

I actually have learned more about music since I've had this. (sorry, don't know quote function)  Much to the no doubt despair of my uke teacher, I still haven't picked up any music theory.  I know that there is tons online about ukes, but I'm going for in-person lessons for now.

The downside is that the new instrument is exciting and my interest in practicing the dulcimer has dropped off quite a bit--it's like trying to divide your attention between two kids...

David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
7 years ago
32 posts

Well I made the plunge 3 months ago and bought a Kala Ziricoat Tenor and couldn't be happier. I actually have learned more about music since I've had this. Yes I still put many hours on my Folkcraft, but what fun the Uke is.

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
7 years ago
108 posts

Black Dog Bess:

It gets worse... I started exploring them at my local Guitar Center. My favorite lower priced brand is Cordoba, higher priced is Kala.

Kala makes some really nice ukes.  I have a mahogany-laminate bari with a fine deep voice and I've been sorely tempted by their cedar/acacia models which are lovely for fingerpicking.  Ohana, Pono and Mainland are other good mid-priced brands.  As if we needed more ukes!?  But above any of those, I firmly believe every uke player needs and deserves a Fluke .  USA-made, nearly indestructible and astonishing tone for the price.

Alas, I made the mistake of joining a uke club full of enablers who play high-end ukes and allow me to try them out.  Mostly I can resist but sometimes...  Well, let's just say I love my Blackbird Clara, I got her used, and she was totally worth it. 

But in my heart of hearts, I love my 17-year-old Fluke the best.

We're lucky we don't like guitars! bigsmile

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
7 years ago
18 posts

It gets worse. I started with a no name soprano uke a year and a half ago. I had given up guitar 20-30 years ago due to fibromyalgia hand problems but wondered if a tiny little instrument might work. Well it did but I now have a virtual petting zoo of stringed instruments.

The ukes will always have a special place in my heart. They can be toys, nothing wrong with that! but you can also play some of them like little classical guitars and on some instruments achieve some really nice sounds.

I started exploring them at my local Guitar Center. My favorite lower priced brand is Cordoba, higher priced is Kala. You may be able to try some out at the store. On line, Guitar Center has a large selection of new and used ukes and other stuff. One advantage is you can return them to the store and get a refund if you are not happy. Another advantage is you can flip your instruments if you find you really like ukes and want to upgrade. 

To learn uke, there are lots of You Tube videos. Marcy Marxer is good and you can get more complete lessions on True Fire if you decide you like her style.

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know!

Barb

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
7 years ago
108 posts

Colleen Hailey:

Apparently Ukulele Acquisition Disorder is as much of a thing as DAD. 

(nods sadly in agreement, looks at credit card statement, crawls under desk to hide)

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

So, I am now on my third ukulele... Apparently Ukulele Acquisition Disorder is as much of a thing as DAD.  I now have a Fluke style concert, my original Kala CEM and a Kala tenor. Can play some chords now but strumming still a bit of a challenge.  I was a slow learner on the dulcimer and will undoubtably be so on the ukulele as well.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Well, I am way late to this discussion... I just picked up my very first ukulele today. It is a Kala KA CEM concert and it is lovely. I've already tuned it and have started trying some chords. It will take a while to get my squishy fingers in shape. I keep hitting adjacent strings. Of course, I've played the guitar before. When I was 12. Forty five years ago... So this should be easy :)

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Good things take time, and come in little boxes. But not too little. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

I hope you will share some photos of your finished projects! 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

K0k0peli, Interesting lyrics. Jimmy Buffett would be proud. Glad you found your avatar. I can almost see you strumming around your house amid your many musical toys, but maybe a little less blue. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

For anyone wondering, Wahine (wah-Hee-neh) is my moniker on the   Ukulele Underground  forum. It's Hawaiian for woman, or female. Seemed appropriate. dancetomato

k0k0peli, what is the meaning of your screen name? 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

K0k0peli, Just joined the UU forum. Beginner Uke player, with lot's to learn. Looks like a great place to do it. Thanks for your recommendation.  ~Wahine

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
9 years ago
242 posts

The one or two Oscar Schmidt ukes I have tried had poor sound. We have 2 Kala ukes, a concert and a Travel Tenor, and both sound pretty nice. The Travel has a very thin body, so it doesn't sound as nice as the other Kala. We also have a baritone Favila made in 1963. This is my favorite, but Favila closed up some years back. The fourth is an Islander concert made by Kanile`a. I think Islander is their budget line. I would put the Islander up with Kala for sound and quality. It sounds better than the Travel model Kala, but the Travel Kala gets the most use.When it was my only uke, I put a pickup in it for playing out, so it gets the nod by default, plus being thin makes it easy to fit in a crowded car or under the seat in an airliner when travelling. I feel cramped on the 2 concert ukes, years of playing wide necked 12 string guitars, probably. If I played them enough, I would probably get over that. They are my wifes toys, actually.

I don't advocate buying instruments without playing them first, though a friend's 8 string Kala almost had me ordering one. I did play his, though. I can't see having a fifth uke in the house. But buying without playing robs you of one of musics greatest pleasures, and can leave you wishing you had "known then what I know now." I wanted a Martin guitar for years. But when I saved the money to buy one, I tried a lot of them, and the necks felt like the wrong end of a Louisville Slugger. I ended up with a Taylor instead. Had I ordered a Martin without trying, I might be wishing I hadn't. Hindsight is much clearer than foresight.

Nigel Caddick
Nigel Caddick
@nigel-caddick
9 years ago
14 posts

I have owned around 60 ukes of varying quality, I had 45 at one time once, mainly because I started the Sedgley Ukulele Strummers group (Google ;) ) I needed this amount because some of the new members needed to borrow one, plus I had both GAS and UAS as I'm an avid collector.

I have never owned a hand made Hawaiian uke costing loadsamoney, although in our group we have a uke maker extroadinaire. I found that those already mentioned are very good, my personal preference being Lanikai. My keeper uke is the Lanikai 8 string, as it gives a mighty sound similar to a 12 string guitar does, you're looking to pay, in Sterling UK about £120 + for a decent concert, up to £200.

Hope this helps, Nige

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
9 years ago
84 posts

Ohana and Mainland and Kala all make decent to very nice ukes. I have never heard an Oscar Schmidt that has the tonal quality, projection or balance I like in ukes. Have played for 63 years and most of my ukes are what you might call high end. But you do not need to spend $$$$s to get pleasant sounding instruments.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

James, I think you've mentioned that parlor guitar before. It sounds like a really nice instrument. I was in no way trying to disparage Oscar Schmidt instruments. It just seems that if you have to buy an instrument without playing it, it would make sense to stick with brands known for that instrument.

Babs, I've never really played the ukulele seriously, so I've never tried anyone's arrangements. And I don't think I could approach Jake Shumabukuro level even while dreaming. Since I played guitar for most of my life I can figure out ukulele chords and melodies pretty quickly, but I have no right-hand technique at all.

And yes, filipinouker, I have a pink ukulele that I bought my daughter a few years ago for her birthday. She has never shown any interest, but once or twice a year I pull it out and fiddle a bit.

However, at the risk of hijacking James's thread . . . I just bought a Riptide concert uke. It is not the one in the picture I linked to above, which has an acacia top, but one with a spruce top. Here's my new baby in its cozy cradle:

623_forums.jpg?width=500

It only has three strings in the picture because it came with a low G string but I put on the more traditional high G, and the picture was taken in the middle of that exchange. There is another sound hole on the side facing up when you play so that supposedly what you hear is closer to what others hear. Now I just have to learn to play the darn thing.

I organized a ukulele workshop and concert by Butch Ross here in Sacramento the day after the Berkeley Dulcimer Gathering and I wanted a decent instrument to use. Well, that's my excuse anyway. But if we call our instruments "tools" instead of "toys" don't they sound more justifiable as purchases?

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
9 years ago
87 posts

This is so funny that this thread has scene a new lifeSmile.gif I ultimately have put the idea of getting a ukulele on hold for the time being. Dusty, I wound up with an Oscar Schmidt parlor guitar, which is like the old Stella guitars they made through the 1920's and 1930's. I had a nice full sound to it, not "tinny" sound if you know what I mean. Sounds well in the Maybelle Carter scratch, fingerstyle, and basic rhythm strumming.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

What a coincidence, Cynthia! You know what they say about great minds . . .

Cynthia Wigington said:

Dusty, I'm looking at that one too...
Dusty Turtle said:

For the record, within the next week or two I hope to buy this Riptide concert uke from a local music store that also hosts my local dulcimer group meetings.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Dusty, I'm looking at that one too...
Dusty Turtle said:

James, perhaps I'm too late to this conversation. Interestingly, I am in the same boat in that I want to buy a decent ukulele but I can't afford the really fancy ones. I Have a few ukuleles that I consider more toys than instruments.

But my gut tells me to stick with Oscar Schmidt for autoharps and get a ukulele by a one of the companies that specializes in ukuleles, such as the brands filipinouker lists.

For the record, within the next week or two I hope to buy this Riptide concert uke from a local music store that also hosts my local dulcimer group meetings.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

James, perhaps I'm too late to this conversation. Interestingly, I am in the same boat in that I want to buy a decent ukulele but I can't afford the really fancy ones. I Have a few ukuleles that I consider more toys than instruments.

But my gut tells me to stick with Oscar Schmidt for autoharps and get a ukulele by a one of the companies that specializes in ukuleles, such as the brands filipinouker lists.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

As you know James, I own this one, and it is my best uke. Uke friend Ron also thinks it's my best one. I like it, nice to play, nice sound, and I can be heard in uke club. My others get drowned out in the buzzing...

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
9 years ago
87 posts

For a while, I have been toying with getting a ukulele to learn to play, to add to my list of instruments I play. (I also can play acoustical guitar, autoharp, and can fake my way on the electric bass.)

At any rate, I was wondering who all plays the ukulele, and what they think of this package that I am eye-balling on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OU5-Instructional-Polishing/dp/B005ETZN72/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1420763277&sr=1-1&keywords=oscar+schmidt+ou5+concert+ukulele

If it isn't that good a ukulele, I would like to know, then maybe get pointed in a right direction. My budget won't stretch for a fancy handmade $1000 type LOL but I want one that is a quality instrument that will bring joy, not defeat, when learning.

updated by @james-phillips: 08/01/23 12:03:49AM