Is this an Edsel or Fred Martin?

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

Thanks for the photos and feedback, looking at the pictures of yours, I would lean towards it being an Edsell, a lot of strong similarity, mine looks to be older or just more played judging by the oils impregnated into the finger board, even the heart hole angles are right, and the similarity in the head stock are quite strong. From what I've heard and seen Fred tended to put the paper inside.

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

The quality isn't the greatest on these because they are from my phone. See what you think!

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

Thanks for the feedback.  lot of discussion was over the fact there was no paper inside, but everything else looked spot on.

If you are OK with it, would love to see a photo or 2 of your Edsel.

your 2 cents is worth 100 times more,

(Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.. That way you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!!) bigsmile giggle2  

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

Looks more like an Edsel to me, especially with no paper inside. The face looks a lot like my Edsel, and the nut material is the same as my Edsel's (vs the one I have that Fred made). Just my two cents.

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
7 years ago
24 posts

Estes George:

Recently picked this up after doing as much research as I could. Has the same look/design as either Edsel or Fred. There was another brother, Wade, but from what I'm finding he didn't build many dulcimers, it was Fred and Edsel. 

They both used the same design as far as the dulcimer body, the biggest difference being the carvings on the "scroll". 

Fred's carvings were, from what I've seen, were a bit more "rustic", where it seemed Edsel's were more refined. I looked at some of Edsel's figure carvings and the style seems to be consistent with what I'm seeing on the dulcimer itself.

I can see no label or signature inside, although looks like there may have been at one point, but really can't tell for sure.

The seller included 2 sweet old vinyl LP's. The Mill Run Dulcimer Band, and Edsel Martins Appalachian Dulcimer Music. Both in great condition and play great with no skipping.

The Edsel one has Photos on the back of him holding his dulcimer, It looks liek this one, although the photo is grainy and you can't see the figure carved clearly at all, the style is definitely the same. 

I have posted pictures of the dulcimer, The album cover, a couple of photos of Fred Martin to compare the carving styles.

Let me know what you think!!

And I'm only guessing here, so am curious what you all think.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

If that's the case, It could be a "Fredsel Martin", sorry, couldn't resist!!thumbsup beer beer

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

I had also read that early on, Fred and Edsel worked together, then started doing their own, Maybe?? A joint venture? (Being in Colorado,) "joint" venture doesn't have a double meaning.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

Thanks for all the input, very interesting piece, and like some earlier input, intonation is good until you get up to the higher frets, than seems a bit off.

But also played a lot, no grooves in the wood in all the usual lower frets, but can see, and had to do a good deal of clean up at frets all the way up and down the board. Also on various strings. Can see dirt and finger oil; impregnated into the wood all over the scale. So indicates it's been around a long time, well played, but taken care of.

Either way, not disappointed,  always looking for the unique, historical, and different. This is a nice one. Also came with the vinyl, gave me a reason to pull the turntable out. Now I really am dating myself.

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
8 years ago
86 posts

Edsel also used the paper label inside. I did look a little closer at the carving. It does appear to look a bit morr like Edsels carving. The only thing that dosent look right is the way thr martin is written, just a lot different than the signature on the label in mine. Maybe a closer look inside will tell.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

I don't believe it's a Fred.  Fred told me he always used the "Egyptian" head on the peghead.  The pegs look very similar to Fred's tho'.  Fred also used a paper label inside the instrument; no "signature" on the back of the peghead.  I do not believe it's a Fred. That being said, I think it could be an Edsel.

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
8 years ago
86 posts

George. I have one of Edsels very first dulcimers a coffin shape. Later he and his brother seemed to use the same style. Looking at the signature on the peg head , it is different than the way Edsel signed. I would tend to say it is a Fred Martin. Rob Lackey here on fotmd has a Fred Martin , he may be able to compare the writing on the signature.  Nice find, Kevin.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Well, an Edsel had all that funny chrome work on the front grill.....

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

Recently picked this up after doing as much research as I could. Has the same look/design as either Edsel or Fred. There was another brother, Wade, but from what I'm finding he didn't build many dulcimers, it was Fred and Edsel. 

They both used the same design as far as the dulcimer body, the biggest difference being the carvings on the "scroll". 

Fred's carvings were, from what I've seen, were a bit more "rustic", where it seemed Edsel's were more refined. I looked at some of Edsel's figure carvings and the style seems to be consistent with what I'm seeing on the dulcimer itself.

I can see no label or signature inside, although looks like there may have been at one point, but really can't tell for sure.

The seller included 2 sweet old vinyl LP's. The Mill Run Dulcimer Band, and Edsel Martins Appalachian Dulcimer Music. Both in great condition and play great with no skipping.

The Edsel one has Photos on the back of him holding his dulcimer, It looks liek this one, although the photo is grainy and you can't see the figure carved clearly at all, the style is definitely the same. 

I have posted pictures of the dulcimer, The album cover, a couple of photos of Fred Martin to compare the carving styles.

Let me know what you think!!

And I'm only guessing here, so am curious what you all think.

111.jpg
111.jpg  •  166KB

222.jpg
222.jpg  •  487KB

555.jpg
555.jpg  •  492KB

333.jpg
333.jpg  •  410KB

444.jpg
444.jpg  •  300KB

album.jpg
album.jpg  •  496KB