Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

@makerswife I offer my condolences.  It's wonderful your husband built so many musical instruments which can sing for many, many years.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 10/14/21 09:31:12PM
MakersWife
MakersWife
@makerswife
3 years ago
1 posts

John Frazier, my husband, just passed away a month before his 90th birthday. He made 349 dulcimers, as well as several harps and a few banjos. See his memoir for more info and photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Remembered-John-Kent-Frazier/dp/B08HTDG4BT/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=patricia+harrer+frazier&qid=1634054489&s=books&sr=1-10

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
3 years ago
66 posts

Great article Kevin63!

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
3 years ago
24 posts

I have a John Frazier dulcimer, and I think there is some info about him in one of the Revel's Music catalogues. Here:

Frazier Hourglass

Frazier is/was a small scale maker who started in the early 70s and was producing no more than 20 instruments per year at the height of the dulcimer boom.    Neat, classic-style elongated, tapered maple headstock with effective square rosewood (?) tuning pegs.  Wooden marker at 7th fret (now partly under new 6½ fret).  Bookmatched walnut back with slight unevenness on LB.  Wooden rosewood (?) nut and bridge (latter now replaced with compensated buffalo horn “floating” bridge for better intonation).  Overall length 38½”, upper bout 5⅜”, lower bout 7¼”, depth 1¾”, FBW 1½”, VSL 28¼” (medium/long scale), weight 2lb 8oz (1134g).  Originally no 6½ fret, now provided.

Mixed maple/walnut construction makes for a pretty, light sounding instrument, emphasizing the higher overtones but with clean mid and bass.  Easy action, suitable for all abilities, which could take slightly heavier treble strings to improve the tonal balance further.  Could also take geared modern tuners, but it looks so pretty as it is.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

I had no heard of John Frazier before reading your post. I have been unable to find out anything about him. I'll be interested to see what others come with about him.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
231 posts

Its always nice to learn of different builders. I have not heard of this one. Let us know when you find out more information.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Kevin, I am not familiar with the maker.  Perhaps, over time, you will be able to learn more about Mr. Frazier and his instruments.

Kevin63
Kevin63
@kevin63
3 years ago
20 posts

Hello,

I came a across a beautiful hour glass dulcimer made in 1976. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with John Frazier dulcimers made in South Bend Indiana.

I'm finding almost no info on them or possible value. I have found that he was active around 1970 on, built only around 20 a years during the dulcimer boom. (See photo)

Thank you for your help.
Kevin 

updated by @kevin63: 02/08/21 02:11:44AM