Terry Hennessy

John Dunn
John Dunn
@john-dunn
3 years ago
2 posts

I am saddened to learn of Terry's passing.We shared the same age. I met Terry and his daughter Corina in 2002 at his Kangaroo Valley home. He brought me into the dulcimer family, generously sharing of his musical  knowledge and creative skills. Generous, good natured, affable and hospitable. I will always remember him with much fondness, grateful for the time he shared with me, recounting his  life and his many interests and experiences. His daughter Corina and Terry posed for the attached photo on my first visit, each holding a dulcimer they had each created. A number of visits followed, and always he welcomed me with much hospitality. Regretfully, my visits ceased due to the aging process  and tyranny of long distance after I relocated to the State of Queensland.  With many I am much saddened by his passing, and I extend my sincerest sympathies to Corina and Christine. Vale Terry.

001.jpg
001.jpg  •  165KB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Terry made instruments which can continue to sing.  I wish for comfort for all who knew him.  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

Another one gone.... but not forgotten.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

Terry Hennessy died yesterday, November 13, 2021, at his home. He was the builder who made Richard Farina’s dulcimer. He will be missed by family and friends and by many of us in the dulcimer world. My sympathy is offered to all. I was fortunate to be able to examine and strum the dulcimer he made for Richard.  You can read about Terry here .

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 11/14/21 03:11:41PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

I hope Terry Hennessy's days go as well as possible and are brightened by hearing from folks he's known throughout his life.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

The following was sent to me by Richard Troughear:

=================

I visited Terry Hennessy yesterday in his little village of Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales, Australia.  As you know Terry made the mountain dulcimer played by Richard Farina in the 1960’s, fixing his place in the modern history of the instrument.  In 1965 Jean Ritchie thought it was “the jazziest dulcimer I ever saw!”.  Terry has continued to make dulcimers of high quality up until recent times.

But after a life as a stone-mason, a theatre set designer, a puppeteer, a jug band player, a television presenter, service in the Royal Air Force, a story-teller par excellence, and a world class dulcimer luthier, he is now 88 years old and in the twilight of his days.  His health is rapidly declining.

Terry has always loved to talk to dulcimer makers and players about the instrument, but in Australia there are not many of either.   For those players and makers in the wider dulcimer community who know of Terry, and would like to make contact with him, now is a good time to say hello and wish him well.   I know he would appreciate the thoughts. 

Terry’s email address is:  

hennessydulcimer@iprimus.com.au  

His long-time partner Christine might need to read emails to Terry.

regards,
Richard Troughear

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990