Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
2 years ago
94 posts

Hi there Silverstrings.  I own multiple Fellenbaum dulcimers and can tell you that he builds excellent well-crafted instruments. I do not find them wider or deeper than many other makers (I own quite a few dulcimers by different makers).  Also, I need to comment on the statement that an instrument's woods do not affect sound in any discernible way - that's not true. A wood's density and its age can have quite an effect on sound:

Effects on pitch: Lower-density woods absorb higher-frequency sound waves more than lower-frequency sound waves.

Effects due to reflection and resonance - softer woods absorb sound waves more than than harder woods do, and reflect less.

Effects due to age - as wood ages, internal sap hardens and hemicellulose degrades, which changes acoustical properties of any wood.

Can you hear these kinds of differences?  Many people can.  For a good demonstration, try listening to classical guitars.  Traditionally, classical guitars come with one of two woods for their tops - spruce or cedar.  It is very easy to find multiple examples of identical guitar models by a particular maker that differ *only* in the choice of tonewood for the top.  Listen to a bunch of these with cedar tops and compare them to those with spruce tops.  I'd be *very* surprised if you don't hear the difference between the two.

It is also true that the volume of the sound box and a host of other considerations *also* affect the sound of instruments. But it is incorrect to suggest that the woods used in their creation do not.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
389 posts

I've met Tom Fellenbaum several times over the years, and I know that he build excellent instruments.  I bought one of his bowed psalteries years ago, and it was wonderful in craftsmanship and in sound.  I don't know what he's up to now.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
234 posts

If my information is correct Fellenbaum is a builder in Black Mountain NC. He has slowed down on building dulcimers to keep in stock, but does build to order. His dulcimers are well crafted and typically have a bit wider and deeper body. There is no standard for dulcimer dimensions and builders have their own preferences. Like Ken said, tone is influenced by volume of the sound box.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,126 posts

The woods the instrument are made from won't make any discernable difference in the pitch of the sound.  The overall body dimensions (internal cubic inches) do.  How big is the body compared to your other "low tone" instruments?  

I haven't heard of Fellenbaum dulcimers ina quite some time.  My memory of them is that he builds a fairly deep/wide dulcimer for a 26-27" VSL.

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/01/21 07:01:45AM
Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
3 years ago
54 posts

Is anybody familiar with the sound of Fellenbaum dulcimers? This particular dulcimer has a spruce soundboard and sapele back and sides. I like dulcimers with a low tone.