Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Lexie, so glad to see you've 'made it across'!   lol

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Robin, for me this site and Strumelias N/D blog has got me strummin', then all of the lovely people on this site that give insight and support is fabulous. I love the sound and techniques shared with noter drone playing and the wealth of knowledge our luthiers share about the history and the building of their beautiful instruments.

I truely enjoy this site and it is remarkable  when I think about all the ways I continue to learn from this site. Lots of hugs to all who have had a place in my Dulcimer Journey.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Big hug back to you Mark!    inlove

--
Site Owner

Mark Runge
Mark Runge
@mark-runge
9 years ago
7 posts

Thank you for all of the guidance you've given me, Stumelia. My growth has been fast and furious, just as I like it. And mainly that has been because of this--or the old one?--site and all of the support I've received from its members! I cannot believe it has been only two years since I started playing with the dulcimer. Really big smiles and lots of hugs to all y'all!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Thanks for that, Paul!   I bet your new dulicmer is awesome- looking forward to a simple tune recording from you!

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,415 posts
I don't know whether I would've stuck with playing if not for FOTMD. Though I have fun with the lap dulcimer, learning new things and sharing music here helps keep things fresh.Oh, and the number of luthiers who are either building replicas of old instruments and/or drawing heavily from old ways of building is great to see. I don't own any that are new yet look old. . . Not yet, anyway. ;) I've gotten to see and hear some of these beauties here at FOTMD and I'm grateful for that, too!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,248 posts

Wow, Geekling, what a wonderful tribute to FOTMD, thank you so much. Thank you all so much.

I do feel like we all have sooo many great dulcimer friends here, and the nature of the site is such that it really encourages everyone to share equally, learn from each other, and get to know each other as well.

--
Site Owner

John Tose
John Tose
@john-tose
10 years ago
26 posts

I'd more or less abandoned the Mountain Dulcimer until I found FOTMD which brought me back into the fold enough to make me start making them again - a TMB and a Swedish Humle so far.

I have to say that FOTMD is the best `social media' site I've ever come across to do with music, so well done Strumelia for starting it off, and of course everyone else who's kept it going by contributing to the site.

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

113.gif Well Robin - while I haven't tried N/D yet, I sure have to be totally and whole-heartedly in agreement with you! Everyone here understands the passion and love for the dulcimer - in all its wonderful forms and varieties! I know for sure that FOTMD has certainly helped me and helped keep that passion alive!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,415 posts
John, how glad I am you've been favoring us with your wonderful instruments and play! Your instruments are family heirlooms, treasures.Ken, our in- person meeting was far too brief. I hope our paths cross again and that we can share some tunes!
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
10 years ago
1,073 posts

Amen to that Robin.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Well said Robin 41.gif ! If I had'nt 'joined' I doubt very much if I would be making or playing now, I knew of some outstanding MD players, none of whom played N/D, or used a quill ect ! Different now 113.gif

John!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,415 posts
It's a given, I think, for many of us that the "Friends" part of FOTMD is the "thing" for which we are most grateful. . .At this 5,000 milestone, though, it also occurs to me how grateful I am that this site has been instrumental (haha) in the re- surgance of the noter and drone style of play. I had seen precious little to help me with learning ND style before FOTMD popped onto the scene. The available recordings in the style were few and video demonstrations were scarce not oh-so-long-ago.So, thanks to Strumelia for her noter and drone blog-- it's how I stumbled onto FOTMD in its earliest days-- and for starting "Friends"! And a big thanks to you all for making this neighborhood a nice place to learn-- I've learned lots-- and spend some time.Happy strumming, y'all!
updated by @robin-thompson: 08/02/23 03:15:05PM