The Drifting Thread...

marg
@marg
2 months ago
431 posts

Just watched the trailer for Robert Redford film 'A Walk in the Woods'. The movie may need to wait a bit but understand what you are talking about. Glad you enjoyed it, beautiful scenery but I think I would need to drive not walk it.

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
491 posts

It really is a funny movie, but as Jan said, you should read the book. My sides hurt so much from laughing as I read it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 months ago
405 posts

Helen, "A Walk in the Woods" --the movie--is just a small part of the book of the same title by Bill Bryson.  The book is even funnier than the movie--a great read!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
2 months ago
157 posts

I watched the Robert Redford film 'A Walk in the Woods' yesterday. It was so great to see the Appalachia scenery.. nice soundtrack too and lots of laughs.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
4 months ago
347 posts

Riding it out Cynthia and I am happy to hear Greta joined in on the fun in the tent. Each night I crawl into my wonderfully warm comfortable bed I am thinking of you on you tent adventure.

Robin I am happy to hear you had a wonderful day with family and music.

Ken it is nice to hear you have swished out of the storms and glad the b&b is all full and doing well.

Have a blessed Thanks Giving my Friends! 

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,700 posts

Cynthia...  frozen clapper

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
840 posts

Wow, Cynthia, you rock!  

A blessed Thanksgiving to all! 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,395 posts

We're having our winter here in SW Florida, too.  Wonderfully "chilly" nights down in the 40s and 50s; clear sunny daytime highs in the 70s.  Just a couple days until the official end of Hurricane Season; we've dodged the bullet again on the Gulf Coast.  Snowbird Season started at the first of November; traffic is terrible and restaurants almost all need reservations now.  Reservations in our AirBnB Poolside Cabana are up and we have bookings into March.

Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
4 months ago
77 posts

Was a wild and cold windy night for campers, the tent being slapped around, but I was snug. Got up this morning at 5, stirred up the coals and made Bannock Bread in aluminum foil, inspired by a 10 year old on youtube making a recipe he got from a yt friend of his from Australia. It really is one big world and we're all closer than we think. This morning my Greta girl got in the tent, crawled right into my sleeping bag and curled up. It is wild weather, and here I think the coyotes have eaten all the deer, no one is getting one where I am this year. It's fun to hear your weather from Montana Lexie, and other stories, and of a good day Robin had, and course Lisa, anything you're up to. It doesn't get any better than this. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
840 posts

Lexie, autumn was unseasonably warm until late last week.  The cold weather now has been a jolt to all creatures, I think.  

--
Robin T
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
4 months ago
347 posts

Montana climate is strange too, causing all kinds of disastrous Grizzly mauling's of hunters. A guy was flown out of the mountains after a mauling by Grizz just yesterday. I say hunters can't be too careful these days.

I think the Grizzly's are confused, there were 15 females grouped together on some poor guys ranch, this seems to be very unusual behavior according to our bear expert.

I just hope we get snow up in the mountains soon, like you all we have had warmer temps and some rain, however it is nice to see Montana prairie fairly green.  

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,700 posts

Robin, that sounds like food for the soul.  inlove

And Cynthia- I love thinking of you out under the stars in your sleeping bag and tent, like a wilderness adventurer.  

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 11/20/16 07:40:25PM
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
840 posts

I drove home from my folks' yesterday evening. :) 

This afternoon, we met our niece Rebekah for lunch in Athens OH.  Afterward, we attended a portion of a French horn workshop at Ohio because Bekah was accompanying on cello.  Next, we attended a performance of Mozart's Requiem for chorus and orchestra with the Ohio University (Go, Bobcats!) Symphony Orchestra and Choral Union.  It was a wonderful performance!  And cool to have a niece as principal cellist. 

Temps were in the 70's on Thursday.  Snow flurries and biting winds yesterday and today. 

--
Robin T
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
4 months ago
77 posts

A few days ago they were talking a foot of snow in the mountains here in Vermont but it didn't happen. I've been backyard camping, under tarps, 3 season tents (sort of freezing) and now my first 4 season tent. It is much warmer, and tonight we are expecting the first inch, tomorrow 2-4". Fun to read by a headlamp, all snuggled in a nice warm sleeping bag, wake up to daylight. Just watched a Swede on youtube kayak and portage his way up a rough waterway - life is good today, playing the Wartz Chrismas songs book, chatting with some of you folks.

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
4 months ago
333 posts

I thought you were going to say hot chocolate. I hope all of the leaves were off the trees. It sure is early for that much snow. Unless you went back in time pre-80s when we actually had a lot of snow in NY state. Before we heard of global warming, and we poured maple syrup over snowballs and never thought about the germs. frozen

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,700 posts

Yesterday was so gorgeous- 65F and bright sun all day, not a speck of cloud in the sky...sat outside to have breakfast and had to remove my sweater even.

Weather report last night said rain during the night and possibly an inch of snow this morning.

Woke up this morning to eight inches of heavy snow on the ground and more coming down like mad.

What the...  !?!   faceplant 

Naturally, our snow blower is still in the repair shop awaiting a part that should have come two weeks ago...

So after we did a bunch of shoveling, I just finished doing the only sensible thing... made some brownies.

--
Site Owner

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 months ago
178 posts

So sorry, (((((Salt))))).

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 months ago
347 posts

Salt, I am so sorry your friend suffered so in life, now he can be in peace.

God bless you for caring for him and your kindness to all you meet.

Val Hughes
@val-hughes
5 months ago
22 posts

Rest in peace R. you had a good friend in Salt-Springs.

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
5 months ago
134 posts

Sorry to hear of your friends passing, Salt. May he now rest in peace.

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 months ago
840 posts

My sentiments echo Jan's, Salt.  

--
Robin T
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 months ago
405 posts

Sorry to hear of the death of your old friend...you truly were a friend to the end! I, too, am glad that he is now at peace.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
5 months ago
91 posts

Another wounded Soldier has died.  This week my old friend, R. passed on.....wounded many years ago and living in a fog of psychological pain and despair fueled by his attempts to numb his feelings with alcohol.   Sometimes I would find him passed out in his yard, covered with flies and filth.  Other times I would find him sitting alone lost in his thoughts.   No way to reach him nor was he ever able to take hold of the help offered him.  But people did try their best to look after him over the years......folk brought him food, we bought him clothes when the weather turned cold......but his wounds were too much for him to overcome.  Sitting at table, he collapsed and died enroute to the hospital.  R., when I think back over the years I have known you a phrase from an old song comes to mind........"Jesus loves you more than you will ever know."  Rest now my brother............your battle is over and in the end I believe that by God's grace you have finally obtained that hard earned peace.......and I promise we will not let those like you who bear unseen wounds and sorrow be forgotten or overlooked.

Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 months ago
63 posts

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend's family.

Steven

Brian G.
@brian-g
5 months ago
93 posts

Hello Lexie. I am very sorry to read of the loss of your friend.  My thoughts are with you.

Brian

Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
5 months ago
7 posts

Rest and Peace for your friend, her family and you. God Bless, Barb

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
5 months ago
157 posts

Lexie i am so very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts. A big hug from Australia

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 months ago
405 posts

I just read this, Lexie, and wanted to add my condolences on the death of your friend!  Sending {{{{ hugs }}}} from Kentucky!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 months ago
840 posts

I offer my deepest sympathy, Lexie, and prayer for comfort for you and all her dear ones.  

--
Robin T
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
5 months ago
276 posts

Lexie, praying for you and your friend's family. 

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 months ago
491 posts

Lexie, my sympathy on the death of your friend. May your memory of her be a blessing to you.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
5 months ago
86 posts

So sorry to hear this, Lexie.  Thinking of you and her family.

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,700 posts

Lexie, sending a warm hug your way.  So sad.

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
5 months ago
134 posts

Lexie, so sorry to hear of the sad news about your friend. Thoughts and prayers coming from Cowansburg. 

--
Site Moderator
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 months ago
347 posts

I am sorry, seems the brightest most loving are taken too soon for us left behind.

I am so very sorry, when I wrote this about my sweet friend, I fully Trusted in God that she would be home in a few months, I am so thankful, she was my friend and medicine gave her a chance to continue living. She did live with her new heart about 10 days.

Now we just let her go and know she is in peace.

Thank you so much for your warm wishes prayers and Love, I really appreciate it today! heartbeat

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
858 posts

Oh, I'm so sorry Lexie. Very sad news.  Sending warm wishes your way from the west coast.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 months ago
178 posts

This is such sad news, (((((Lexie)))))~I'm so sorry.  Praying for all friends and family with all the love on my heart.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 months ago
347 posts

My heart is broken today, my friend who got a heart transplant passed away this morning. brokenheart pray

I really wanted to hug her again, but she had a huge fight and I guess God needed her. Please pray for all of us who loved her and will miss her. You can rest now my dear friend.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 months ago
178 posts

That is beautiful, Lexie.  Prayers for continued recovery!

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 months ago
347 posts

Yes, Lisa and Rusty thank you for your thoughts for my friend.

I know it is quite amazing, my friend is in her mid 40's, she is the sweetest and wonderful and to know that a person and or family choose to give the gift of a HEART is just truly selfless and loving. I am thankful my friend has a chance to continue her life, cause she just began with a heart that just wasn't good. 

I have been thinking and praying for the donor family and pray that somehow they know my friend is so great full and will take really good care of her new heart. 

I too think it is a wonderful gift to become a donor, it is remarkable what medicine can do for people.

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,700 posts

Lexie, I'm always amazed by the concept of successful kidney transplants and such...but to think of heart transplants is even more astounding and wonderful.  
Also to think of the donor or donor's family having made the decision to help someone else live if they die.  We should all ask ourselves whether we want to be a donor ...and if so it's a simple procedure to sign up and officially register as an organ donor...Brian and I did so a couple years ago.  nod

I hope your friend recovers quickly now, to live a full healthy life!

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
858 posts

That's really good news, Lexie. I hope things continue go go well for her.

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 months ago
347 posts

A very Sweet Friend just had a Heart Transplant about a week ago. Isn't that remarkable!!!! She is doing very well. heart

Jim Yates
@jim-yates
5 months ago
57 posts

I still haven't harvested all of the root vegetables from the garden, but all of the above ground veggies are safe from the frost.  We still have pretty warm days here in southern Ontario, and, although I put on a sweatshirt if I want to go outdoors at night, during the day I'm fine with a T-shirt.  I abandoned my shorts about a week ago, but I still see a lot of folks in shorts downtown.

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
858 posts

Since Bob Dylan was just awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, I am seeing song titles and lyrics everywhere.

Strumelia's "baked squash, apples, and hearty soups" could easily be about interior comforts during a long winter.

Lexie's "first snow on the prairie" is also a wonderful image about the cyclical nature of change.

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 months ago
347 posts

We got our first snow, pretty early out on the Prairie and it is frosty every morning. I like my Crock Pot!

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,700 posts

The season has arrived for baked squash, baked apples, hearty soups...  catdance

--
Site Owner

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
7 months ago
86 posts

Thanks everyone.  I played yesterday until my fingers were sore - lol!

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
7 months ago
347 posts

Wow Gail, that is quite the dulcimer, enjoy getting to know your gem.

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
7 months ago
858 posts

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger

updated by @dusty-turtle: 09/02/16 05:15:52PM

/ 2