Thanksgiving Menu

hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 months ago
184 posts

I know I'm late, but have enjoyed reading through this thread very, very much!  We had been very busy and were going into busy, so we took the turkey we were given and put it in the freezer, and then we enjoyed a very simple and quiet Thanksgiving.  It was perfection!  We watched the parade and ate a meal of crisp meat burritos, corn pudding, and a no-bake pumpkin pie.  inlove

Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 months ago
276 posts

Ken, it does sound delicious. I think I might try that. Thanks!!!

Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
4 months ago
121 posts

Wow Ken , I will be on the first available flight south. Happy Thanksgiving

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,397 posts

Patty - the recipe uses the sweeter red/pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented and laid in a graham cracker crust.  Then you make a batch of strawberry Jell-O tm and pour it over and chill in the fridge.

Irene - I "Red Cook" the turkey breast (I have a 13 lb breast this year):  Put the meat in a large stock pot.  Fill to cover by an inch with half soy sauce and half water.  Add one whole Star Anise.  Remove the meat; bring the liquid to a hard boil.  Add the meat, bring the liquid back to a hard boil.  Put a lid on, turn the fire off, and walk away for two hours.  All the heat in that liquid cooks th meat and carries that wonderful flavor all the way to the bone!  Doesn't not taste like soy sauce or licorice -- just tastes fabulous!.  Moist and juicy.

I have friends on the Big Island, and learned how to cook Imu Style when I visited there for a month, a few years back.

updated by @ken-hulme: 11/24/16 07:54:55AM
IRENE
@irene
4 months ago
42 posts

My husband, Tomasi, will be putting our Turkey and sweet potatoes in the Ground...... Tongan/ Hawaiian style.  He'll have our grandson to help and others too.  Turkey is moist fall off the bones.  Yes, our oven will be free to do pies and such fun stuff as that.  I loved reading of all your ways of celebrating Gratitude.  We all will play music as well!!!  aloha, irene

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 months ago
492 posts

Should be fried. I probably typed something else and it was autocorrected to friend. LOL! Maybe it is a Quaker recipe.

updated by @ken-longfield: 11/24/16 12:11:12PM
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 months ago
276 posts

Strawberry-Grapefruit pie? That sounds interesting. How do you keep the Grapefruit from overwhelming the strawberries. Lot of Grapefruit we get up here is pretty tart but I imagine being in FL the fresher ones would be sweeter? 

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
4 months ago
434 posts

Yum, Yum

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
4 months ago
348 posts

Ken H., the oyster dressing is from our island days....oh ya; Asparagus, cranberries, wine and a nice salad with kiwi.

Cookin' for me and eating all day, sharing with Smiley Friend too. spaghetti

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,397 posts

"Friend"  Oysters?   Must be a Quaker recipe!

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 months ago
492 posts

Turkey

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Baked Yams

Corn

Green beans

Stuffing

Cranberry sauce (fresh) and canned jellied for those who don't like fresh

Fried Oysters

Assorted local wines

Assorted pies

updated by @ken-longfield: 11/24/16 12:11:45PM
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
4 months ago
348 posts

Sounds scrumptious Ken. I am making smoked turkey, sweet tators and oyster dressing which was a favorite of my Dad's.

I hope you all enjoy your day!

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,701 posts

Wow Ken- that sounds incredible!  I hope you also get to enjoy relaxing a little though!  spaghetti

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,397 posts

Different places have different traditions for Thanksgiving  This year I'm cooking for 13 friends and family at Lady Sally's house.   Here's what I'm making.  About half the items today, the rest tomorrow:

• Red Cooked Turkey Breast
  • Sangria Simmered Ham
  • Vegetarian Pot Pie
  • Cinnamon Yams
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Sage and Mushroom Dressing
  • Indian Corn Pudding
  • Molded Fresh Cranberry Sauce
  • Strawberry-Grapefruit Pie
  • Cinnamon Stewed Apple Pie