Blizzard in Northeast/March 14th 2017

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
2 weeks ago
348 posts

Wow you got hit with white stuff! Stay warm and safe friends, enjoy your hot chocolate, playing your dulcimers around a nice fire.

Thinking of you! coffeefrozendulcimer

marg
@marg
2 weeks ago
432 posts

I think it has to be just kids that would be excited with this snow. I'm glad you didn't lose power, my sister said where she was the wind was blowing so hard  the snow didn't get a chance to stick to power lines. Hang on, Spring is coming: attached my back yard

DSC04890.jpg
DSC04890.jpg  •  228KB

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Well it was a pretty big snowfall for us here.  There were no vehicles allowed on the roads, state of emergency, and there was actually no mail delivered yesterday...which says a lot! 

Happily it's now sunny and everyone is plowing and shoveling like mad.  A few minutes ago our hired plow person finally arrived with his massive truck and plowed our driveway to the road...which means we are no longer technically snowbound. pimento

We've cleared our paths and porch and cleared the cars, and a path to the bird feeder.  The little birds are feasting.

No more snow in the forecast but it never got above 20F so it's pretty cold when the wind picks up.

I'm thrilled we never lost power!   Just cooked a bacon and egg lunch for Brian and myself, and glad to not clear any snow now for a good while.  Blizzard = checked off the list!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
859 posts

lots of snow = lots of hot chocolate

It seems insignificant, but perhaps the main thing I regret about raising a child in California is that she will never know the unparalleled joy of a snow day.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 weeks ago
134 posts

For some reason or other they predict that we're going to get hit, and it always seems to skirt around us.mrdance

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Oh boy, Jim.  We have about 26" !!  Will spend all day today digging out.  envy

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 weeks ago
134 posts

We have more snow today than yesterday here in S/W PA

I survived.jpg
I survived.jpg  •  47KB

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Total of over two feet now, with maybe an inch or two more supposedly coming tomorrow off and on.  This was a big one!  We're lucky to have not had a power outage (so far).  crossfingers

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
2 weeks ago
432 posts

WOW, lots of snow. Be careful

Macy Jayne
@macy-jayne
2 weeks ago
28 posts

Lol it's Brian G playing, just in case anyone thought it was me;)

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Yeah we have the same ken- and yes it's well over the 12" height limit for Brian's snowblower too.  Looks like about 18-20" as of now.   It's still snowing, and blowing wind...  frozen

They did a robo-call announcing a state of emergency with all vehicles ordered off the roads from 5pm (now) until 5am tomorrow morning.  (not that anyone sane would go out in their car in this)  Hope our power doesn't go off!  

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
492 posts

Looks pretty, Lisa. When I got my snowblower out to do the driveway, the snow was over the top of the auger housing, I guess about 14 or 15 inches. Stopped snowing for a while, but it is snowing again.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 03/14/17 08:51:06PM
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

I took this little video from my window a few hours ago, at the point where we 'only' had about 8"... right now it's 3:pm and we've got about14"...still coming down supposedly for hours to come.  red drummer

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 03/14/17 03:11:33PM
John Henry
@john-henry
2 weeks ago
332 posts

Would recognise you anywhere Macy !    lol

JohnH

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

What a charming tune Macy!  I'm also so impressed that you can play that with a BAG over your head!  surprised  worthy

--
Site Owner

Macy Jayne
@macy-jayne
2 weeks ago
28 posts

Except for the other night, I haven't been on here for a few years. Now I'm all graduated and have too much time on my hands and looking for the bag vids, lol. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, is there a thread with all of them in one place? Here's an example of a bag vid, they were a hit a few years ago...  

marg
@marg
2 weeks ago
432 posts

Good luck to all, stay warm & be careful

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 weeks ago
1,397 posts

Strawberry Lemonade for me -- it's going to be sunny and 70s down here...

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
492 posts

Sounds like a good plan even if the electricity stays on.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,703 posts

Just a heads up in case FOTMD goes down during the big blizzard expected to hit the northeast US tomorrow Tuesday-

if this site goes down due to power outages (our server is in New Jersey) never fear- have a hot cocoa and we'll return as soon as possible!   frozen  coffee

--
Site Owner