@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

You're fab-o in my book, @hugssandi!  <3

hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 years ago
244 posts

Thank y'all so very much!  I'm not fantastic, but I always love being asked to play.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

I agree with the others; a job well done. Thanks for sharing this delightful performance.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

You sound great, Sandi! And that little wren sounds perfect.  Nice job!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I just got to watch, Sandi!  You all did such a lovely job on such a pretty tune.  Your little Wren really has nice tone which blends and balances well in ensemble; Preston had you mic'd just right!  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Your brief "deer moment" just made it all the more appealing, because we can all so easily relate to moments like that in our daily lives.  surprised     grin

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/05/20 07:40:39PM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 years ago
244 posts

@strumelia THANK YOU!  The song is Christ Child Lullaby, and I found dulcimer TAB online arranged by S. Stevens that matched their music (save for 6/4 versus 3/4 time).  I altered it quite a bit and made it easy peasy!  Great mic job on my Wren by my Preston, who was running sound.  SO FUN, though there is that deer in headlights moment by moi...  LOL!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

I watched your performance Sandi (and some parts of the service as well) at
https://livestream.com/accounts/6164779/events/8950700/videos/200482706

- Sandi's group starts playing at the 18 min 30 second mark BTW... if you want to get right to the dulcimer music  ;)

I have to say that was a BEAUTIFUL song, and just beautifully played by everyone in turn in your group.  Truly delightful and full of joy!  The melody of that song is especially lovely, the way it dips down sometimes.  What is that song/hymn called?  It's wonderful and you guys ALL did a fantastic job.  It's also great how your sweet little Feather dulcimer sings out bright and clear like a little bird.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I haven't seen your play-- soon to head out on my evening walk-- yet am proud of you, @hugssandi!  It is a special thing to play at Epiphany.  <3

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/05/20 04:33:41PM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 years ago
244 posts

Got to play my little Wren by Featherdulcimer in church today, which is always such and honor and joy~even though I mess up a lot!  LOL.  Today it did NOT go down as planned and practiced, two verses, accordion thing, two verses, dulcimer, a verse, end.  Obviously I don't roll well with sudden changes~HA HA!  Still such fun!  It starts about 18:27 here:  https://livestream.com/accounts/6164779/events/8950700/videos/200482706  

BTW in another thread a good while ago I did figure out that I was going out of tune while playing by somehow pulling a melody string out of tune while noting.  Notering?  LOL.  ???

updated by @hugssandi: 01/05/20 10:46:44PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,415 posts

@hugssandi Hazel's violin with your singing was just right!  You enjoyment would have shown through.  <3

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

@Robin-Thompson, I can't wait to hear about your mini concert!

Today Hazel and I played in church.  I have practiced and practiced and practiced, and I don't know what happened, but most of the song ended up being Hazel's violin with my singing.  LOL!  AH well.  I still enjoyed it very much!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,415 posts

@Steve-Smith, that sees (and looks like) a fun gathering 

@hugssandi, you & Hazel will be your wonderful selves.  <3 Have fun!  

Mark & I are to play a mini concert at the Coshocton Dulcimer Festival on 15 June.  Though we've hardly played out much over the past few years, we're looking forward to seeing friends and sharing music. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

@steve-smith THANK YOU for sharing!  Love it!!

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
5 years ago
32 posts
It was a lot of fun! Of course, 6 hours outside does a number on the hammered dulcimer tuning, but it wasn't too bad. One fun thing was meeting a guy who many years ago went to school with and played with Peter Tommerup in California and jammed with him and Michael Rugg, but he never learned to play dulcimer. Another fun thing was the 12 baby goats running around. Not too bad other than Landslide, who spent quite a bit of time climbing on everything and trying to eat instruments, cases, etc. At least when they're this age they don't yet have many teeth and don't do much damage! As for footage, nothing this year. I'll attach a picture from another year while we were setting up...
hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

@steve-smith how did it go?  That sounds AMAZING!  Any footage to share?

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
5 years ago
32 posts
Tomorrow (Memorial Day) at the Carl Sandburg Home in Flat Rock, NC, and we'll be playing everything we know and probably some we don't, based on requests. Jean and I play mountain and hammered dulcimer from 10-4 in front of the goat barn under a large oak, moving around as the sun moves. It's one of our favorite events of the year because of all of the folks we get to talk with. This will be our 34th year playing there!
hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

I'm sure we had a thread already on this, but I have been searchin' and searchin' and cannot find it!  Please tell me where and what you are playing!!!

Hazel and I are playing in church on the 2nd, "What Wondrous Love".  We've had more time to practice than last time, though there's one note I'll never be able to hit.  Still excited!  HA HA!  I also realized that I was using the wrong side of my bamboo noter for a while, and somehow it was snagging and pulling my melody string(s) out-of-tune. DUH!  Looking forward to a better go-round this time....

updated by @hugssandi: 01/06/20 09:34:35AM