Seeing a group's new discussions? (SOLVED)

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Strumelia:
Update- I'm currently working on getting so we can "Follow" a whole Group we belong to, and would then receive a notification whenever a new discussion is created in that group.  We would still need to 'follow' individual group discussions we wanted to be notified about (which is good because some discussions might not be of interest to you)- but we'd also be alerted whenever a NEW discussion is created in our favorite Groups.  Hoping to get this implemented soon. 

This new feature has now been added!

Please read here to see how you can be alerted whenever a new discussion is created in your favorite Group:

http://fotmd.com/forums/forum/new-site-questions-how-do-i/18538/new-group-feature-added

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Update-

I'm currently working on getting so we can "Follow" a whole Group we belong to, and would then receive a notification whenever a new discussion is created in that group.  We would still need to 'follow' individual group discussions we wanted to be notified about (which is good because some discussions might not be of interest to you)- but we'd also be alerted whenever a NEW discussion is created in our favorite Groups.  Hoping to get this implemented soon.  smiler

--
Site Owner

Deborah Hinz
@debbie-hinz
2 years ago
21 posts

Thanks Bob. I guess I'll get someday.

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
2 years ago
103 posts

Debbie, there are actually two different "latest activity" feeds.  One is on the main page of FOTMD and the other is on the latest activity tab of your personal page.  They work differently.  The one on the main page is site wide for forums.  The one on your personal page is the latest activity from people you follow.  Different things show up in each of these feeds.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Deborah Hinz
@debbie-hinz
2 years ago
21 posts

I checked through the pages of my latest activity and found the two responses on pages 15 and 16. I still don't see your posting to me from yesterday, only on this page of "group postings notification" and I have it set to be notified.

Deborah Hinz
@debbie-hinz
2 years ago
21 posts

Sorry, I posted to the group "Finger-picking" a new query called "Finger-picking or flat-picking" Rob Lackey responded and his response showed up on my "latest activity" thread and on the main page discussion thread, so I thought all responses would show up in both areas. I check my page and the general discussion page most days and didn't anything more. Yesterday I wanted to respond back to Rob an update on my progress and was surprised to see two more responses to my query. I follow both those members but did not see their responses in my "latest activity" or in the general discussion on the main page prior to yesterday when I checked the thread and they had posted a week or more ago. I don't see the thread in any of the latest discussion threads either. Does that help?

Also your response to my posting here did not show up in my latest activity, I didn't see it until I opened this thread.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Debbie, I'm afraid I can't quite follow what you wrote clearly enough to help.  It feels like maybe several issues tangled together, at least in my head it does...sorry.   I don't even know what thread you are referring to-  in a forum, a group?

--
Site Owner

Deborah Hinz
@debbie-hinz
2 years ago
21 posts

@strumelia I've changed my settings, but why wasn't Dusty and Guy postings, to a thread I started, listed in my "latest activity". I had checked that frequently and I follow them both. I received Rob's response in my latest activity. I only found them when I checked the thread I started to post back to Rob, thinking he was the only on who responded to my query. I don't even see that thread come up in the discussion : newest posts.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Ken Hulme:
Thanks Lisa.  You're right, I don't care about my posts particularly, but general activity within a Group.  Guess I'll just have to kep visiting them.

Yep, and an unintended side effect is that it tends to encourage more actual presence and participation, and less 'passive feeding'.   nerd2

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Debbie- I just went to check your account settings Notification options, all of which are turned ON by default to begin with.

I see you have turned several of the options to be notified OFF.

For example you have turned OFF recieving notifications for "Discussion Updated (If you are following a Discussion, how do you want to be notified?)"

Thus, if you want to be notified of various things happening, you'll need to turn ON your options to be notified...and you have a choice to be notified by email or by private message to your site INBOX.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Deborah Hinz:
I have posted a few times on individual group pages, my posts did not show up on the main page activity feed (which kind of frustrated me) nor did they show up on my own group discussion page. Only when I posted on the forums that I received a response. So, now I just follow the forums as it seems not many look at or post to the individual group pages.

Hi Debbie,

nobody gets emailed notifications when anyone simply leaves a comment on a group's comment wall.  On active groups, that would be pretty annoying, since the comment wall is intended for misc. back and forth chit-chat more than for actual discussions.   You CAN get email notifications whenever somebody posts in a Group Discussion, but only if you mark that discussion that you want to 'follow' it.

In general, you will see more in your activity feeds on your profile page once you have added content to the site.

Everyone- You have to click the Follow button to receive notifications about any discussion on this site- whether it's in a Group or in a Forum.

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,397 posts

Thanks Lisa.  You're right, I don't care about my posts particularly, but general activity within a Group.  Guess I'll just have to kep visiting them.

Deborah Hinz
@debbie-hinz
2 years ago
21 posts

I have posted a few times on individual group pages, my posts did not show up on the main page activity feed (which kind of frustrated me) nor did they show up on my own group discussion page. Only when I posted on the forums that I received a response. So, now I just follow the forums as it seems not many look at or post to the individual group pages.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,701 posts

Ken, on your profile page there is a module blocks titled Latest Group Discussions.  That shows YOUR latest posts in the various groups you belong to.

But I think that's not what you mean exactly-

For Groups, there is no overall listing of all recent group posts in all groups, like there is for forums.
Nor can you 'follow' a whole group so that you get emailed anything anyone posts something anywhere in the group.
You need to go to a Group's home page, where you'll see the most recently posted-to group discussions, in latest-first order.

You must 'follow' individual Group discussions you are interested in keeping up with, and then you should get notifications when a new post is made in those discussions.  And/or keep track of your own posts in groups via the module on your profile page.
I believe group posts also show up in the main Page activity Feed.   But your best bet is to Follow any discussion you want to keep up with.  And check in regularly with Groups that you are interested in, to see what's new.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/28/15 12:00:07AM
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,397 posts

I'm probably missing it, but I don't see any place that tells me that groups I belong to have had recent postings.  Forums has a tab called New Posts, but Groups don't seem to have the same without opening each group separately.

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/17/16 11:25:07AM