Groups - Quiet or am I missing the obvious?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,246 posts

Hi Lois, I just posted a comment on the comment wall of the Dulcimer Therapy Group. I also posted in a discussion in the Little Dulcimers Group. Both posts immediately appeared in the main 'feed' on FOTMD's Home Page. If you post something new on the site, it usually appears in the main activity feed (except for comments on people's personal profile pages).

If you want to get notifications concerning new content in particular Groups that interest you, then read this: https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/18538/new-group-follow-features-added   You can also subscribe to get notifications on Forum topics you like.

Because Groups are generally more focused on special interests, they tend to have less activity than the General site forums have. As with any online forum, people tend to get back what they put in, as opposed to say watching a movie. Flurries of activity come and go in various places on our site and at any given time. Some threads or groups more than others, some members more than others.

As to scrolling 72 pages, well any site with an activity feed will require a lot of scrolling through past pages if you only visit the site once in a while and then want to review weeks' worth of activity. Facebook is even worse imho since it doesn't even utilize pages...just one bottomless Black Hole of Scroll.

Lois I notice you always seem to post about having trouble missing out on or finding old content after returning intermittently, despite being a long time member. I hope this info from Dusty and me helps in some way. Maybe if you visit more often and post more in the groups and forums that interest you, you won't need to search so hard for activity you missed.  ;)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Thanks for the clarification, @Dusty-Turtle .  Yes, waves of activity I figured.  As for where posted, does this mean even Group posts appear on the Home page.  Hope so, &, yes, @mick-mclaughlin"> @mick-mclaughlin it's one of the great things about having the way to scroll back (72 ! "pages").  I know I ought to go through it for times I've had to be away or when time permits to "discover a bit that I missed the last time."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Lois, I think your observation is correct.  The activity in any most groups tends to come in waves.  Nothing for some time and then a cluster of activity around a certain topic.

I also think people don't think of the groups often enough and just post in the General Mountain Music Forum or the Beginner Forum rather than finding a group that fits their post better.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Mick McLaughlin
Mick McLaughlin
@mick-mclaughlin
4 years ago
9 posts

Haven't been a member long enough to answer your question, but I like reading back over posts and usually discover a bit that I missed the last time.Are you thinking there is not enough posting going on ? Or just not enough chat about other stuff.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

I prowl the Home page, often without logging in.  I know we all go through topics at times, but haven't spotted any Group discussions.  It would take a lot of time to look at each Group of possible interest.  I love the way the Home page lets us easily look back -- especially when having to be away for a while -- but wonder if I'm missing the obvious when it comes to Groups as opposed to the Forums?